Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Axis/Vegas Black Tank Cleaning

I purchased a Valterra No Fuss cleaning kit for my 2015 Axis 24.1 black tank in order to keep the sensors clean and responding correctly. I would like to locate the unit in the middle of the rear of my Axis 24.1 but am not sure how the toilet enters the tank. Can anyone give me advice on where the toilet enters and If there is adequate clearance for the cleaning nozzle by locating it in the rear so I can spray the sensors? Would mid tank have an adequate view of the sensors or would the back of the tank, adjacent to the rear tires and facing forward work better?

Phil

Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well if you look at the side of the camper where the black tank is:

The toilet is right about where the outside shower is (the outside shower is in the raised part of the floor under the toilet). You can guess that the toilet entry is somewhere near the rear but not all the way. I would think if you installed it on the rear wall (not on the outside wall where my dealer installed my flush kit as you can see in that pic) you would be fine.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #3

THOR #1075
I'll try it and let you know. They are pretty cheap so if I have to put in another about where yours is located, I can do that too.

Would you suggest I locate in the rear center or closer to the door to make sure I miss the toilet?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well you should be able to measure the distance the toilet is from the wall and make a pretty good guesstimate of how far it is from the side of the tank.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:50 AM   #5

THOR #1075
I could also reach into the tank and see how far the toilet extends into the tank. What do you think the maximum drop should be for the sprayer from the top of the tank and still be safe? Initial directions say drop it two inches from the top.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I'd put it as far up as I could--don't want the fluid level to hit it. Putting it on the end means you'd have to put it down enough to clear the tank mounts though.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

What is the down-side to the mount your dealer did? Looks like easy access.

This Black Water Tank rinse-out is a problem I did not anticipate dealing with. So I am willing to learn the best application here before I start drilling (DW always gets nervous when I drill holes in things).

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
What is the down-side to the mount your dealer did? Looks like easy access.
The downside is that I had to purchase a plug. The Tornado kit comes with a check valve and some hose to run the flush connection somewhere. The idea is that you leave the check valve and hose connected up all the time and just connect to the flusher.
I had wanted the dealer to install it where aa9zz is going to install his and then run the plumbing around so I can just hook the hose up in the same compartment as the sewer connection.
There is very little clearance between the tank wall and the hatch door--I even had to cut off the ring on the top of the plug so I could close the door. It still presses against the door when closed.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

Understood, is there a website to look at the Tornado kit. I hope aa9zz posts his mounting and shares the pro's and con's with his choice and the Valterra No Fuss cleaning kit.

It would be nice R&D at Thor had a platform for user input with gift certificates given out for ideas used/incorporated into their product lines.

Thanks for sharing.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well here is the Camco link for the Tornado: Item

Here is the Camping World link: Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection - Camco 40126 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

and here is a video of a guy who actually made a clear tank to compare flush products: