Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2018, 04:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Windshield wiper switch not working?

Today, we drove over Stevens pass in the Cascades on our way to a short bicycling trip. To help get us in the mood, it was snowing like crazy as we drove over there pass.

While trying to see, the windshield wipers on our 2015 Vegas 24.1 would stutter, then pause, and the finally stop mid wipe - causing a bit of consternation since it was really snowing hard.

After some fast experimenting, I found that pushing the switch up always made the wipers work fine at high speed. Pushing the switch down no longer did anything. Pushing the switch in would no longer start the wipers (which is what I always used to do), but it would still stop the wipers.

So, that doesn't really sound like a broken switch, and the wipers seem to work just fine (at least at high speed). Once we cleared the pass and the snow went away, the wipers seemed to behave themselves again.

Has anyone run into this? I'm not really sure what to start replacing, but I don't want to be caught out like that again.

Andy
2015 Vegas 24.1

Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by saerdna View Post
Today, we drove over Stevens pass in the Cascades on our way to a short bicycling trip. To help get us in the mood, it was snowing like crazy as we drove over there pass.

While trying to see, the windshield wipers on our 2015 Vegas 24.1 would stutter, then pause, and the finally stop mid wipe - causing a bit of consternation since it was really snowing hard.

After some fast experimenting, I found that pushing the switch up always made the wipers work fine at high speed. Pushing the switch down no longer did anything. Pushing the switch in would no longer start the wipers (which is what I always used to do), but it would still stop the wipers.

So, that doesn't really sound like a broken switch, and the wipers seem to work just fine (at least at high speed). Once we cleared the pass and the snow went away, the wipers seemed to behave themselves again.

Has anyone run into this? I'm not really sure what to start replacing, but I don't want to be caught out like that again.

Andy
2015 Vegas 24.1
Given that it was a temporary condition that only happened with snow I would start working it out from there: perhaps it was the temperature that caused a loose connection to completely disconnect (and the reconnect once warm again) or since snow sticks maybe it caused a temporary short.

So I'd look for loose connections (at the wiper motor and behind the switch), or look for places snow could get to and cause a problem.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #10354
Sounds to me like a windshield module that controls the different speeds of the wipers. It may have problems in cold weather? I do not know where the module is located but there has to be some type of electronic interface to get the wiper motor to go at differing speeds. I would start there. You could try some "freeze" spray available at your local electronics store.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
This won't fix a faulty switch, but I and many others have found that a coat of RainX on the windshield makes a big difference in wiper operation. With it applied, the rain sheets off so well you don't have to run the wipers near as much. Hint: the haze from applying it comes off nicely with a mildly damp microfiber cloth.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:40 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Thanks for the responses. I'll see if I can find the control module when we get back, and report back if something interesting shows up.

I also like the idea of rainx. I haven't used it in ages, but I recall that the wipers are almost not needed - which would have been really nice.

Of course, our big trip this summer takes us to Arizona, then Vegas ( how appropriate), then Sacramento, so I'm guessing that we will soon be done with both rain and cold.

Andy
2015 Vegas 24.1
Old 05-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Colorado
THOR #11629
I've been dealing with the wipers on my 2017 Vegas and don't have a clear answer yet. The wiper systems have been very problematic for Thor in the past and they apparently continue to be. There was even a major recall mandated by the NHTSA for some models through 2015, I believe. The recall was for the Wexco wiper motor. Last fall, I blew a fuse on a stormy drive through the mountains and had no wipers. Replacing the fuse solved that but I couldn't do it en route. Now, my problem is that the wipers won't turn off. The wiper switch has been feeling "gummy" to me so I think I'm going to replace it. It's made by Charleston - part #CFW-1006-12. I don't have a source for this yet but I think I can get it from <totalvaluerv.com>. Initially, Thor told me they thought it was the motor but that's a $460 part. Thor will cover this under warranty but it involves driving 150 miles to Denver and then back and I am not confident in Camping World's ability to fix it - plus I'll have to leave the RV there for a long time.
At any rate, there is not a separate pulse control module in this system. I believe it is a part of the Wexco motor and I'm going to call tech support to see if they can help. I'm still going with the switch first because I think it's a $20 part if I can find it. Other posts I've read have talked about rain entering the engine compartment through the joint at the top of the drop down "hood" and getting into the waterproof connector. These posters have wrapped the connector with tape and tied it up higher in the compartment to protect it from being exposed to water. Some have even installed weather stripping. I'd recommend taking the connector apart and spraying it with wire dryer first.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
RainX is great stuff. They also make a windshield washer fluid with that stuff in it and it continually coats the glass as you go. I've driven in pouring rain an it seems you can see better with the wipers not going than when using them. Sounds crazy but it's true!! The harder it rains, the clearer the glass is.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
RainX is great stuff. They also make a windshield washer fluid with that stuff in it and it continually coats the glass as you go. I've driven in pouring rain an it seems you can see better with the wipers not going than when using them. Sounds crazy but it's true!! The harder it rains, the clearer the glass is.
I've had that same experience. Hard driving rain and it seems to jusy run right off the glass.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #10354
PWM motor drive

I am an Electrical Engineer with quite a bit of experience with PWM (pulse width modulated) driving systems. The clue to the solution may be that it works at full speed. A PWM system puts out pulses with varying duty factor (0-100%) resulting in an average voltage drive to the motor of 0 to 12V (battery voltage actually). This allows quite a bit of flexibility for the motor driving system. It can be digitally or voltage driven according to the designers intent. I doubt that it is the switch unless the switch does not seem to be mechanically acting properly. My guess would be the control box being either water damaged or overload electrical damage (motor overcurrent during operation). I assume that is why that is a $460 motor probably having the motor control module inside the motor housing. If the unit works at full speed, the internal drive circuit is responding to the 100% on signal but not the lower duty factor signals.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:25 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Colorado
THOR #11629
Just an update on what I'm finding out about switches - not that this applies to Saerdna's issue - but this information might be helpful to others. I looked at the label on my wiper switch and it's made by GT - part #3534329C1 which cross references to a switch for International big rigs, part #901-5102. I found it for $87 at <bigmachineparts.com>. This one is made by Dorman. I think for my situation that the switch is bad because the push in "on/off" toggle seems like it's sticking so perhaps it's not putting the motor into park. It's still a mystery because when I disconnect the switch the wipers still run but I think that's because the switch has not engaged the "park" shutoff at the motor. I called Wexco today but they wouldn't talk to me so I couldn't find out if there was a diagnostic protocol for the motor or if there is a replaceable control module attached to the motor - they just wanted me to talk to Thor - which obviously won't help.