Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Back in the day i carried a spare tire and wheel plus an unmounted tire

Had the same size trailer duals as the F550 so 16 possible use points

A bag of balancing beads was in the tool box just in case

Luckily never needed both

Old 09-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Can you purchase a spare tire already mounted on a wheel for the Axis/Vegas? Online link?
Old 09-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Buy the wheel and mount the spare. Although some people carry only the tire, they really have never given a valid reason for doing this halfway.
I carry a brand new spare tire only that I bought direct from Goodyear and under my SOB bed. (I had to make some mods to support the weight as that tire is 75 pounds as it is inside and over my freshwater tank)

My reasons... it is open season; so you and others may please feel free to let me know if anything is not valid. If my feelings get hurt, I promise not to tell

My Insurance (Progressive) will only tow my RV to nearest RV Dealer (unlimited miles), or put on a new replacement tire on a wheel and mount. They will NOT repair the existing tire no matter how simple it may it be, or appear

I went through the process and removed one wheel to realign an extender through the hole. [After my Sumo Springs were installed, I noticed one of the extenders was not properly aligned with one dually so I did this at home versus taking it back]. I decided then that I would never try to replace / repair a RV tire on the road, and that I will just call my Roadside Assistance.

Given that plan the biggest variable is the tire. If I have a tire in the RV (and I do now) they can fix on the spot and I am on my way. If I don't have the tire; I have to buy whatever they have or can find; that can easily hit $1,000. The tire cost is not covered by my Insurance Plan. Note: if it is a makeshift tire, then when I get home, I may still have to buy a new tire and have it mounted.

Further, I do not believe that all 6 of my tires use the exact same wheels? So which which spare wheel do you buy? ( I do know that all 6 tires on my coach are the same) Regardless, if my wheel was damaged beyond use, I suspect I have a bigger problem / claim; as it may actually be a collision involved and covered via insurance.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Further, I do not believe that all 6 of my tires use the exact same wheels? So which which spare wheel do you buy? ( I do know that all 6 tires on my coach are the same) Regardless, if my wheel was damaged beyond use, I suspect I have a bigger problem / claim; as it may actually be a collision involved and covered via insurance.
So if that was the case, which wheel did you buy for your spare? And if you had a problem with a wheel/tire that wasn't a match then all that reasoning above goes out the window.

Luckily, all 6 wheels are the same.,
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #25

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here’s a 130 post thread with 130 opinions on everything you ever wanted to know about carrying & mounting a spare tire on a Vegas (or Axis)

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...egas-1322.html
Old 09-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #26

THOR #21919
Finding a spare tire is easy. Trying to find the correct steel wheel rim (preferably white) is the hard part. I do not want to go to Ford dealer if I can help it.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #27

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Good discussion. Much to think about.
Did not think about the ability to use a duel as a spare.
Not ideal but a slow limp is better than a zero speed sit down...sometimes.
Thanks
Old 09-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Can you purchase a spare tire already mounted on a wheel for the Axis/Vegas? Online link?
I bought a tire and wheel, mounted and balanced by Town Fair Tire for my new Axis 24.1. Cost about $250. The tire shop measured the lug spacing and wheel offset and matched it. It was painted white like the OEM wheels.

David
Old 09-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #29

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I live in a rural farm community.
Most tire shops around here deal with farm tractors and the many different farm trucks. Many of these are motorhome size.

Point being, they are well versed in rims and offset, not just tires.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:53 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
I, too, bought a spare wheel and tire. etrailer.com had the wheel and got the tire at a local PepBoys who mounted and balanced it. My 28A has a tire well in the garage storage area, so it's out of the way. Figured I'd at least get it out for the repair guy!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:28 AM   #31

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So if that was the case, which wheel did you buy for your spare? And if you had a problem with a wheel/tire that wasn't a match then all that reasoning above goes out the window.

Luckily, all 6 wheels are the same.,
Not sure I follow...?

I have not bought a spare wheel. I only bought a spare tire which can run $400 on a good day for new Goodyear G670. Although I actually got lucky and caught a promotion and got brand new 2021 made G670 from a Goodyear Truck Center.

But back to the wheel that I didn't buy. Me buying a wheel would only help the Insurance company. They will come out a mount a tire & wheel that I have already, or they will put my tire on an existing wheel; same cost for me. I have a tire that I know will fit all 6 wheels.

I was additionally saying that I was not sure that all 6 wheels are the same? I said so because when I took one tire off a dually to align the holes for extender, it was a PITA and they did not look the same. I do know that all 6 tires are the exact same; so maybe it stand to reason that the wheels are the exact same too?

I had a flat tire in a Navigator SUV in St Louis, I could not find the Michelins I normally use so I bought a used tire that fit the SUV with plan to put it on my spare wheel and take the spare tire (which was new thread wise) and mount on that wheel that had non fixable flat. Turns out the used tire I bought although right size for my OEM wheels did not fit the spare wheel

The place had a sign up no REFUNDS, my wife was about to speak her mine and I had interject & to tell the guy thanks, it was my mistake, gave him a $20 tip to just put it back the way it was and I got the hell out of dodge, I mean St Louis , I believe that town was Ferguson.. We didn't have an problems with anyone, just the ordeal with the spare not fitting.

Anyhoo... I don't need a spare wheel for the previous posted points even if all 6 wheels are the same size? 75 pounds extra for the tire was heavy enough, I am not sure I could lift the tire and wheel to take inside RV and store under bed anyway?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #32

THOR #21919
Found this bare wheel rim for the Vegas E350 chassis but it's grey. Where can I find a white rim to match the originals?

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Ready-Wh.../dp/B013H061IY

Old 09-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #33

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Found this bare wheel rim for the Vegas E350 chassis but it's grey. Where can I find a white rim to match the originals?

While a tire is not mounted on it, mask the valve stem, then rattle can it.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #34

THOR #13869
Quote:

I also believe these rims are the same as used on 1 ton Ford dually pick-up trucks. I had a rim from a 2000 F350 diesel dually pick-up, and it was exact same as used on my 2016 Thor Outlaw E450.

Then I fabbed a tire carrier underneath the garage behind the rear axle, between it and the trailer hitch. I don't have the room inside to dedicate an unmounted tire, and don't want road dirt getting to one without a rim under there. The front carrier hitch I installed, has a box carrying my tire change equipment. If I am somewhere without cell phone coverage, like where I live in TN, I keep a pair of coveralls to do the work myself, albeit I may be somewhat slower at this age, but I'll get-er-dun!

I am sure that you could match one up at a junk yard, or pick a part place.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #35

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I drove a Vegas and Axis over 70,000 miles, twice from Florida to Alaska up and down the AlCan highway and twice over the “top of the world” road and never had a flat or any other tire issue. I did carry a spare tire without a rim, because it is sometimes difficult to find the correct size tire. I figured I would rather wait for help whole, rather than wait for help under the rig.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #36

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Dont buy this one

Quote:

That looks like the one I purchased from Amazone about 1.5 years ago.

It will NOT fit the on the front unless you grind the top of the caliper on the E450 chassis. So if you have a flat in the front you will have to take a rim off the back and install this on the rear (more work and PITA).

The valve stems will be off 90 deg. on the back rims (Not 180 likes OEM) so I had to purchase some SS braided line extenders to make it work. The is a little hole with a stud sticking out that dictates how the rear tires line up so you cant rotate them to the next lug nut.

The Worst thing is the OEM Stainless Steel Wheel simulator does not fit as tight. I thought it was tight enough but it was not and I lost it in the spring. I purchased an aftermarket one that looks good but its not an exact match. THe manufature that make the wheel simlulators (Dicor) does not make them anymore.

I wish I would have purchansed the OEM WHite Ford Rim from Ebay for the same price as this Amazon Grey rim.

In fact I might still do this so I dont have to worry about the things I mentioned above.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #37

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #17950
Since most class a rvs don't supply a means to carry a spare tire, I purchased a Roadmaster carrier. It fits in the square receiver and using an extended handle has the leverage to lower the heavy tire to the ground. The cheaper ones don't hinge so you have to lift the heavy tire in the air to get the bracket studs to go into the wheel holes. It was about $450 but much cheaper than back surgery and years of pain. I carry an electric impact wrench and 1/2" drive torque wrench. Don't need a jack as the levelers lift the wheel off the ground. Also there is a 2" square receiver that allows for towing.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:25 PM   #38

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
if you buy a wheel online or at a wrecking yard take the wheel cover off of one of your front wheels and see if the wheel will fit the lug bolt pattern that are sticking out past the lug nuts, that motorhome wheel is just a little different in the offset and also the bolt circle of the motorhome wheel, list price on a wheel from Ford by your VIN number will cost you about $600.00, I tried the after market and they do not have the right wheel but it looks really close, I have the Ford part number if you get the wrong wheel
Old 09-09-2021, 02:46 AM   #39

THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
if you buy a wheel online or at a wrecking yard take the wheel cover off of one of your front wheels and see if the wheel will fit the lug bolt pattern that are sticking out past the lug nuts, that motorhome wheel is just a little different in the offset and also the bolt circle of the motorhome wheel, list price on a wheel from Ford by your VIN number will cost you about $600.00, I tried the after market and they do not have the right wheel but it looks really close, I have the Ford part number if you get the wrong wheel
My bad then, I'll admit I went by eye on my spare and didn't physically check it. Now I'm curious, but hey, thanks for the heads up before I need to use it. Putting it on my to-do list with a higher priority.

What is that part number?
Old 09-09-2021, 03:29 AM   #40

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Changing a tire on an Axis or Vegas is no different then doing it on a pick up truck. Vegas wheel assemblies are relatively light.

I have a Class A and plan on buying a spare (used rim/new tire) since I have the storage space to put it in. That and a 12 ton bottle jack and 3/4 breaker bar with the correct socket will get me going in case of a flat. I have R&R'd more then one 19.5" Class A wheel and I am old.