Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
[QUOTE=ducksface;313517]Counteracting some ham fisted 18 year old running an airhammer to mount your wheels is the main reason. It's not unheard of for someone to post 350ftlbs being on their lugs.
Corrosion is second.

Ease is third.

I had 22.5 tires on the former DP and wheel torque was 450 ft pd. I don't currently carry a spare because the Omni, 19.5, doesn't have any room for one inside or out. Only possibility might be that roadmaster hitch extension/spare carrier. I carry a 1.2" breaker bar, extension pipe to get lugs on Omni off, 165 ft pd, and a 3/4" torque wrench and extension to put it back on correctly, and of course retorque as need down the road. If I were buying a spare wheel I'd get the correct one that fit all positions, not just one. Playing musical tires on the road doesn't make sense to me. If I were using a spare, I wouldn't care what color it was. After all it's an "emergency use tire until the original ones are fixed and back in place".

For those with questions, typically all wheels/rims are the same, even alloy, just flipped around for their position.

Guess that covers my contributions to this subject.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I also believe these rims are the same as used on 1 ton Ford dually pick-up trucks. I had a rim from a 2000 F350 diesel dually pick-up, and it was exact same as used on my 2016 Thor Outlaw E450.

Then I fabbed a tire carrier underneath the garage behind the rear axle, between it and the trailer hitch. I don't have the room inside to dedicate an unmounted tire, and don't want road dirt getting to one without a rim under there. The front carrier hitch I installed, has a box carrying my tire change equipment. If I am somewhere without cell phone coverage, like where I live in TN, I keep a pair of coveralls to do the work myself, albeit I may be somewhat slower at this age, but I'll get-er-dun!

I am sure that you could match one up at a junk yard, or pick a part place.
I apologize bringing up this thread once more...
Just an update to what I discovered with mine.

I had a chance to remove my spare tire from the carrier I installed. (actually had a flat, but that's another story...). I then put a straight edge to the tire/rim and took measurements of both, including diameter in the dish area, comparisons were alike, and I believe it will clear the caliper on the front (at least from measurements, I was at a rear tire).
For my application, the rim from a 2000 F350 Dually is the same as the rim on my RV, a 2016 E450.

Now for new tires... 120-121 load ratings.