Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #25538
Slide not fully retracting 2014 Hurricane

Slide extends fully but stops at about an inch away from fully refracting. Sometimes I can extend and retract a little to get it to go all the way in but that can’t be the way to do it. Any ideas why it’s stopping short? Motor is working. The teeth for the gear look clean and have been oiled.
I’m stumped.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
To start I can think of:
1 - the controller have the wrong stop point.
2 - The tracks are not lubed enough.
3 - The rollers under the slide lack lube and/or not in the right hight.

To address point one you need to fully open and close the slide holding the switch for 5 - 10 seconds AFTER the noise/slide stops.
To address point 2, look at youtube for lippert videos showing how to lube the system AND additionally, lube the square channels on the tracks with the recommended lube. I learned that the slide runs better if those guides are lubed.
To address point 3, lube the pieces of metal sheet that the rollers run on that are under the slide. You can access them when the slide is fully deployed.
Look at these metal sheets and see if there are rollers that are not touching the metal or rollers that look to be stressing the metal.
To correct the rollers hight, you can access them from the inside when the slide is open. The have a screw that you turn to make the roller higher/lower.

Do one of these changes / maintenance at time and test running the slide several times so you know what works and what doesn't.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #3

THOR #25538
Thanks. Great advice. Will do this morning and report back
Old 05-24-2022, 02:37 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Just additional info:
If I'm not wrong, to set the closed point on the controller, you need to open the slide 1ft only, then close it (holding the switch) 3 times.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There is no "closed point" nor any "open point". The controllers stops the motors when the motor current spikes. It is not smart enough to know if you have a 16", 18", or 24" slide depth. If the slide is not moving to the full open or shut position it is because something is causing the motor current to spike before it reaches the end of travel. That something may be in the slide motor/tracks area but is most likely an obstruction of the slide box itself.

So inspecting the tracks/gears is good but you also need to look under and over the slide for obstructions. Has something rolled under the slide? Extend the slide and remove the lower wiper so you can see the rollers with a flashlight.

If the slide contains plumbing and electric there is usually a "bag" containing the wires, cables, and plumbing going into the slide somewhere under the slide that can become jammed in the slide area or rollers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #6

THOR #25538
I tried 1 and 2 above. I didn’t see any adjustment screws for #3. It’s better but not perfect. One corner is still off about 1/4-1/2 inch but passable.
I didn’t see any obstruction but I guess I’ll check again with attention to this last stubborn corner.

Tags
slide 2014 hurricane