Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FourWinds 24F
State: New Hampshire
THOR #7322
As someone seriously intent on buying a new Vegas/Axis 24.1 (2018 when more available up here) - reading of these apparent common leak issues, and the work-intensive fixes, well, it is daunting.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmurph
As someone seriously intent on buying a new Vegas/Axis 24.1 (2018 when more available up here) - reading of these apparent common leak issues, and the work-intensive fixes, well, it is daunting.
Keep in mind 48in366's is a 2015 and ours is a 2014 (the first model year of Axis/Vegas units)--I would hope that with the redesigned front end with the smaller window Thor has taken care of a lot of these issues.

Don't know if there are enough 2018's here (and out in the wild) yet to see if these issues start popping up in them.

Forewarned is forearmed though: Look for that during your PDI and have the dealer fix it: have them take a hose to both side front windows and see if there are leaks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #23

Model: Axis
State: Florida
THOR #3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmurph View Post
Ditto on what Jamie said - ours are older, and Thor does a brilliant job of making changes to the design on the fly. I had a list of suggestions in mind when I dropped by the Tampa RV show in January, and the 2018 model had incorporated just about everything I had noticed.

The 2018 (and even the 2016/17) has some envy-inducing features (if I've heard right) - tankless water heater, digital thermostat, no more carpet up front, slimmer tv antenna handle, improved door lock...some mostly cosmetic, some a vast step up.

My experiences are not really textbook (the unit had been sitting on the lot in the very hot, very anti-window-seal-longevity Florida sun for over a year, and I put more than your average amount of miles on it), and the fixes aren't standard either. Some I had to do in the middle of nowhere, and some I've decided to tackle myself instead of using a dealer/mechanic. This particular leak issue is taking longer than it should because I've added a bunch of other projects to the list while I have the dash dismantled (not a necessary step for fixing a window leak, but I'll use any excuse to get a better look at the inner workings of this thing). We've also been in a big time drought situation in Tampa, which has made it hard to test the fixes. We've had plenty of downpours this week, and I think I've pinpointed the source of the issue!

Keep in mind that people tend to come to the forums when they have problems, so the posts will skew negative. In my experience, any RV is going to have issues, it's just the nature of the product. Putting a house on wheels is difficult, then add in the pressure of the high demand for units at the moment and it's a recipe for trouble. I've seen every type of RV, from truck campers to the million plus behemoths, in the shops I've been to - same issues, different price points.

If you operate under the assumption that any RV you buy will have problems, then it's how those issues are handled that becomes the important factor. From what I've gathered, Thor is pretty good on that front. Personally, they covered the issues I found in the first 30 days, and my trip to the factory in October (not warranty-covered, I was well beyond the 15,000 miles at that point) was absolutely stellar. Their hourly rate was on par with the other shops I've visited, but they worked quickly, and the time they charged was incredibly reasonable (some of the tasks on the list were only 10 minutes). I've also called their owner's helpline a handful of times, and was pleased with the person on the other end of the line (even if they couldn't solve the problem over the phone I managed to glean enough knowledge to work my way through it).

I may have had more than my share of problems with my Axis (then again, I may have just condensed all my issues into the first year by putting on so many miles), but I wouldn't change anything. I have yet to see a unit that I would be happy to trade for - mine is just the perfect fit for how and where I travel. If you've been researching makes and models for a while, and like the looks of the 24.1 floorplan, specs, and pricepoint, don't let the issues you see dissuade you from keeping it on your short list! Knowing what other owners have experienced just helps you keep an eye out for similar problems (and these forums have been a lifesaver at various times during the last year).

The biggest problem that I see, by far, is that the increased popularity of RVs over the last 12 months has created a distinct shortage of qualified mechanics/servicepeople. The factories are ramping up production as best they can, and there's never a shortage of salespeople, but the wait time for any necessary work (or even just routine maintenance) is becoming insane. That's industry-wide, though, so Thor/Winnebago/Monaco/Prevost/etc - it doesn't matter who you go with initially, you'll have the same problem afterwards.

Again, don't let my post dissuade you from these models. I truly think they are the perfect mix of spacious and nimble - big enough inside to be comfortable, and small enough outside to get you almost anywhere you could want to go
Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #24

THOR #7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Keep in mind 48in366's is a 2015 and ours is a 2014 (the first model year of Axis/Vegas units)--I would hope that with the redesigned front end with the smaller window Thor has taken care of a lot of these issues.

Don't know if there are enough 2018's here (and out in the wild) yet to see if these issues start popping up in them.

Forewarned is forearmed though: Look for that during your PDI and have the dealer fix it: have them take a hose to both side front windows and see if there are leaks.

Hosing down the rig (as in a wind-driven or 65 mph rain) before signing on that last dotted line is an excellent suggestion - thanks, Jamie. Another thing if they are unwilling to do, means we walk away.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #25

State: Texas
THOR #1417
We have a 2015, and we have had no issues with leaks at all and almost no problems with our 24.1. The minor things that have cropped up we have been able to fix ourselves. We never even went back to the dealer. In fact, I'm not sure that this hasn't been the most trouble-free RV we've owned, and we've had a few.

The couple of times we've contacted Thor, they've been very helpful. I really like what 48in366 said (can't wait for her to get back on the road so I can read her posts!), and I think you are likely to have about the same general number of issues with an Axis that other RV owners across the spectrum have with theirs. And some of the issues we've had have been problems with components like the house water pump that are used by all or most manufacturers.

We still love the Axis. It is just so livable for such a small motor home.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:28 AM   #26

THOR #7322
48in366 ~ what a thoughtful and thorough reply! I do understand completely happy campers seldom post in forums, so yes, it can be a skewed perspective.

I DO like the floor plan and size of the 24.1. I had initially thought the Gemini/Compass 23TK would be the one, but there is very little storage in and out. We aren't gonna be full-timers, but when we travel, we have 2 biggish dogs (so their food & stuff), we want a small grill, roll-up table(s), chairs, outside mat, etc. Those compartments fill up fast!

We had a 25' class C for several years, but gave it up because we weren't using it much. We are now both retired. Thor has the size and layout we want, at an average selling price that we can live with.

Again - thank you for your reply. I will continue to read these posts, and ask many questions!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 AM   #27

THOR #7322
Thanks, Rabbittracker!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:59 AM   #28

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
While I was washing and waxing my Axis today, I noticed some places where the chaulking was missing over the tops of the frameless windows!
Should I remove all the old chaulk or would it be OK to just add additional chaulk to those areas?
Which is the best chaulk to buy ?
Of course it's only a couple of months old and I could take it back to the dealer to do the work under warranty, but that's more trouble than it's worth considering the poor quality of work CW does!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl
While I was washing and waxing my Axis today, I noticed some places where the chaulking was missing over the tops of the frameless windows!
Should I remove all the old chaulk or would it be OK to just add additional chaulk to those areas?
When I was at Thor's factory service they simply added more to what is there.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3770
Window Leaks

We just discovered a leak around the passenger side window, floor wet, road atlas and the KOA guide were wet. Then met another Vegas couple while camping in Chicoteague, same problem.

We have had a leak around the radio antenna, and I noticed condensation in the roof light covers. Camping world caulked the hell out of it and it worked for 8 months. Then a bird strike took the antenna off, and it leaks again.

The other leak we just noticed is the skylight in the bathroom, caulking is cracked, about 5 inches.

Its a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and we have put 23K on it in a year. Also it spent the winter in Key West, with the sun and rain. So not too upset about the leaks, just the long trip to Ft Lauderdale to get it fixed.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #31

Model: Vegas
THOR #7992
Been there, done that on water leaks.
Have a real quality control issue these days in RV industry, so all can say is keep inspecting all seals and areas that join.
Have 2015 Vegas and initially passenger window wallpaper bubbled from factory and by time that fixed at dealer, drivers side bubbled and had to be redone.
Problem with window sealing from factory and joint over cab cap section.
Held Thor responsible to make this right, and they agreed.
Only had one coach in 40 years that had water entry before this, and that was 80s Winnebago and we all decided Ws all eventually would spring leaks!
Now, Brand new hard to tell if actually have water leak unless wallpaper already bubbling.
So take your coach and use it and make a master list while still under Thor warranty and then check again.
Most dealers, as far as I can tell from this and other sites, are selling more RVs than they have seasoned service Dept employees to handle, so get in line for service and stay on top of progress.
You will have more enjoyable days than down ones, and sure beats motel!
Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #32

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #8351
[QUOTE=JamieGeek;65893]Ok got the RV home today and quickly took it apart (we're expecting rain tonight and I wanted to get this done before that starts).

I removed all the screws from the bottom of the window surround--didn't want to disassemble the bunk--enough so I could separate the frame from the wall.

I had a hunch: I poured some water into the channels just outside the sliding window. When enough water filled that up--especially in the channel the sliding window moves in water came pouring out of that screw hole in the picture you see above.

My hypothesis is that when they drive those screws into the frame they don't really pay attention and some can pierce the channel causing a leak. I took some silicone and filled up that screw hole and most of the channel between the window and the outer frame then reassembled everything. I'll find out this weekend if it fixes it.

I also removed some screws from the drivers side window: They were all shiny and clean. Then I took apart the driver's armrest. The screws holding that in were dirty but not rusty and the wall looked fine (crossing fingers). In addition, I found a bunch of "spare parts" under there .[/

Hi Jamie,
We just purchased a 2015 Axis 24.1. I noticed slight rippling in the front walls and asked the dealer (camping world) to look into that. They caulked them up for us on purchase. When we got home, that night was pretty heavy rains. I noticed the walls were looking worse. Upon inspection, the tech caulked the underside of the windows and covered the weeping holes I called a local mobile tech and he came out and sealed everything he could on the entire coach. We just got back from a 2 week trip (with lots of rain) and the walls seem worse. There is no water coming in the coach. I am guessing that it is the same problem you found with the screws going into the channels. Did your fix work? Let me know as my next step it to remove that inside trim piece and try and seal what we can up and then rebuild those walls to look like new. Let me know if your fix worked on your end.
Thanks for your post!!!!
-Walt
Old 07-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #33

THOR #8351
[QUOTE=JamieGeek;65893]Ok got the RV home today and quickly took it apart (we're expecting rain tonight and I wanted to get this done before that starts).

I removed all the screws from the bottom of the window surround--didn't want to disassemble the bunk--enough so I could separate the frame from the wall.

I had a hunch: I poured some water into the channels just outside the sliding window. When enough water filled that up--especially in the channel the sliding window moves in water came pouring out of that screw hole in the picture you see above.

My hypothesis is that when they drive those screws into the frame they don't really pay attention and some can pierce the channel causing a leak. I took some silicone and filled up that screw hole and most of the channel between the window and the outer frame then reassembled everything. I'll find out this weekend if it fixes it.

I also removed some screws from the drivers side window: They were all shiny and clean. Then I took apart the driver's armrest. The screws holding that in were dirty but not rusty and the wall looked fine (crossing fingers). In addition, I found a bunch of "spare parts" under there .[/

Hi Jaymie,
We just purchased a 2015 Axis 24.1. I noticed slight rippling in the front walls and asked the dealer (camping world) to look into that. They caulked them up for us on purchase. When we got home, that night was pretty heavy rains. I noticed the walls were looking worse. Upon inspection, the tech caulked the underside of the windows and covered the weeping holes I called a local mobile tech and he came out and sealed everything he could on the entire coach. We just got back from a 2 week trip (with lots of rain) and the walls seem worse. There is no water coming in the coach. I am guessing that it is the same problem you found with the screws going into the channels. Did your fix work? Let me know as my next step it to remove that inside trim piece and try and seal what we can up and then rebuild those walls to look like new. Let me know if your fix worked on your end.
Thanks for your post!!!!
-Walt
Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwalp
I am guessing that it is the same problem you found with the screws going into the channels. Did your fix work? Let me know as my next step it to remove that inside trim piece and try and seal what we can up and then rebuild those walls to look like new. Let me know if your fix worked on your end.
Thanks for your post!!!!
-Walt
Yes sealing up the hole worked but this is after Thor rebuilt that wall and sealed up other areas.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #35

THOR #8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes sealing up the hole worked but this is after Thor rebuilt that wall and sealed up other areas.
Thanks!!! Hopefully that does the trick. The dealer agreed to pay my local RV tech to do the job
Old 07-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Leaking Window in More Recent Vegas Model Too

Hi All,

I have a 2017 Vegas 25.4. Amongst the few early problems I noticed after picking it up end of March 2017, was a small trickle of water coming off of the side of the corner bed in back towards the inside of the coach. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The water tank is under the bed and upon lifting up the bed, no indication of water leaking towards the inside of the coach as I might have expected. At some point in lifting up the mattress, noticed some water stains underneath and couldn't figure out where that was coming from either. When I took it in, turned out it was that rear window above the bed on the drivers side that was leaking. They fixed it but I don''t know exact nature of the problem, sounded like it was the seal as well.
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #37

THOR #8351
We got the Axis back and she is better than factory new. Both walls up front under the windows were pretty much destroyed. Both side front windows had to be pulled and replaced as the original seals were not that great. The main problem ended up being in the transition cap. This is where the front cap meets the sides of the RV. The fiberglass overlaps and creates a 1/8" difference where it meets the window seal. The water was getting in there and then going into the top of the window and then followed around the edge of the window and below. There was never water coming inside, but over time, the walls just got worse and worse. There were 4 small screws and no caulk on that transition. My tech sealed it up and replaced with 6 larger screws. After 12 inches of rain she was dry and then the walls replaced. Here are some pics before the actual final finish. Still extremely happy with the purchase!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4696.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	6686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4716.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	6687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	6688  
Old 09-03-2017, 06:41 AM   #38

Model: Vegas
THOR #7992
Did Thor fix this under warranty or extended warranty?
Having same issues after Thor rebuilt both drivers and passenger walls and reset windows a year ago on 2015 Vegas.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #39

THOR #8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2baker View Post
Did Thor fix this under warranty or extended warranty?
Having same issues after Thor rebuilt both drivers and passenger walls and reset windows a year ago on 2015 Vegas.
We actually bought our 2015 used from Camping World. I noticed the damage before final purchase and they agreed to paying my local RV repair guy to do the work. I would have someone check that transition area as that is where the problem on mine was.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #40

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alaska
THOR #4778
I have a 25.2 Axis and was getting leaks in the rear slider area. I could not find the leak origin. I finally figured out it was coming in around the rear window seal, it only leaked while driving and slider was in. I think the seal experiences extra pressure when we lean on it while sleeping. I recently cleaned around the area between the glass and fiberglass with denatured alcohol and install clear silicone sealant between glass and fiberglass. The leak disappeared, we recently drove Alaska Highway and still not leaking, knock on wood.