Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7542
Battery disconnect switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3941.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	5588

Where do you connect a cutoff switch for the house batteries? Do I need one for each battery?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:08 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Just one disconnect switch required on the negative post with the single cable coming off it.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
MCR1010,
Why do you disconnect the negative side and not the positive side?
Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

THOR #1249
I'm not sure of the reason for the neg. terminal disconnect, but would guess it is for safety. The switch that I installed had instructions to install on the negative terminal.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The - and + posts are different sizes, I attempted to put the switch on the + post and it wouldn't fit.

My guess for the reason why: All the metal around the battery is -/ground thus when using your wrench to put the switch on there is the possibility of shorting + to - which would be bad. Putting the switch on - eliminates that possibility.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

THOR #2817
I put a knife switch on the + terminal and have been concerned about the fact that one side of the switch is energized even when the switch is open. I might change to the - terminal. I thought there might have been another reason for using the - terminal to disconnect the batteries. The answer above that states that when the negative side is disconnected in essence removes all of the steel in the RV from the house battery(s) makes a lot of sense.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The - and + posts are different sizes, I attempted to put the switch on the + post and it wouldn't fit.

My guess for the reason why: All the metal around the battery is -/ground thus when using your wrench to put the switch on there is the possibility of shorting + to - which would be bad. Putting the switch on - eliminates that possibility.
This is correct. Less chance of a spark that could actually cause a battery to explode. I've seen it happen. Luckily the guy was wearing safety glasses.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I put mine on the negative ground terminal. I have always installed it that way and my instructions said to also. But theres lots of discussions about this on every rv forum and its fairly evenly divided between + and -. Ill always do negative.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The - side is ground. When removing power or disconnecting a power source it is always best to remove it's ground. Putting it on the + side means one side of the switch always has power -- so you could short out the powered side of the switch. Also great likelihood to get a spark when connecting the powered side of the switch. Good safety practice to engage and disengage the ground -- not the power.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
The - side is ground. When removing power or disconnecting a power source it is always best to remove it's ground. Putting it on the + side means one side of the switch always has power -- so you could short out the powered side of the switch. Also great likelihood to get a spark when connecting the powered side of the switch. Good safety practice to engage and disengage the ground -- not the power.
You will get the same spark regardless of which terminal you connect/disconnect. The only reason the negative terminal is preferred is to minimize the amount of exposed positive metal which could accidently be shorted to any common metal surface by tools, etc.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #11

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
You will get the same spark regardless of which terminal you connect/disconnect. The only reason the negative terminal is preferred is to minimize the amount of exposed positive metal which could accidently be shorted to any common metal surface by tools, etc.
You are correct about the spark being the same on the + or - terminal. If something is drawing more than a minimal amount of amperage there will be a visitble arc during connecting or disconnecting. That is why it is advised when jump starting a vehicle to connect the negative (-) jumper cable last and to not connected to the battery.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #12

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Most of the disconnect switches are naked, so being a ground rather than an energized object makes sense.