Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcheck View Post
My radio has been good until this last trip. Listening to CD at night while parked camping and all of the sudden it went out. All we heard was fuzz and the screen went out. Screen had multicolored lines through it when it first happened but now just black. CD came out when ejected. Tried hitting reset button. Radio does turn on and off but all we hear is static. Had to drive rest of trip without backup camera. Doesn’t seem like it would be fuse or loose wire. Any thoughts? Also, is it a 1 year warranty because I purchased the RV 13 months ago
The AXXERA should have a two year warranty if installed professionally... ( Let the jokes begin)

Old 04-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Radio

Mine worked when it wanted to. Now it is the trash where it belonged to start with had 2 of them.I have a rear view monitor where the radio was.
My ipad works better than a radio that has a mind of its own.
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #23

State: California
THOR #10354
av615bhm right front speaker

My brand new RV was shipped from Thor with a bad cable bundle for this radio that caused the right front speaker to not produce any volume until I turned it way up then it was the useable volume but a very distorted signal came from just this speaker. I called Thor and they sent me a replacement radio with a new wiring harness very quickly, realizing this was a known problem with the harness.

If your RV has this model radio, av615bhm, check that your right front speaker works properly by adjusting the balance and front/rear speaker position to see if the radio is sending a clear, undistorted sound.

I am a retired Electrical Engineer that is quite familiar with radios but have no idea how this harness could have been ste up to cause the problem I encountered. Maybe a bridged output improperly wired???

I did not even notice this problem at normal volumes because I was driving alone for around 2000 miles home and the speaker did not produce any sound at all at the volume I had it on.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Radio

I checked all the wires and found them ok.If I hook my ipad to them they worked fine. The radio would work when the temperature was below 90 to about 65 them had no rear camera. I hooked my gps up and rear view was great the radio just said no feed. I have played with it 1 and a half years. Now will put a Sony or something along that line as I now have a separate rear view monitor.
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #25

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #10392
We have had several problems with the Axerra radio in our Thor Vegas - back with the dealer today. They think it is defective.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #26

State: Michigan
THOR #11228
Radio

So took out radio and shipped it in to find that the AV615BHM is discontinued. As it’s still under warranty, management says they can replace with AV6337BM but will lose constant cam backup. Wondering your thoughts and if I have options.

Thanks for input
Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcheck View Post
So took out radio and shipped it in to find that the AV615BHM is discontinued. As it’s still under warranty, management says they can replace with AV6337BM but will lose constant cam backup. Wondering your thoughts and if I have options.

Thanks for input
You always have options. One would be replace the radio with something more useful, and add a separate monitor for the rear camera.

Its just that greater options come with a greater price tag.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #11738
How do you get your IPod to play, I can't make it work. What a terrible radio, camera, etc
Old 06-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #29

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chammock View Post
How do you get your IPod to play, I can't make it work. What a terrible radio, camera, etc
I got mine to play by using my Axxera as a boat anchor and installing a Pioneer NEX series radio. It has a brighter screen, reticulated backup screen, Apple CarPlay compatible, and allows one to set the button color to red. I hate blue LEDs.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:30 AM   #30

State: Tennessee
THOR #9213
How do you remove the av615bhm? Is there a special tool to get it out of the case that is in the dash?
Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #31

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Yes. It takes a tool that looks like a bent piece of wire. If you have a bag with the printed documentation the tool may be in there. You can buy a kit with the tool at an auto parts store or Wal mart. A google search should give you detailed instructions.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
You don't need a special tool, just a couple pieces of sheet metal about 14" long ans 2 inches wide. I use old heating duct metal. There are two catch tabs on the radio's mount that catch into the radio's housing. The sheet metal slides between the mount and the housing to push the catches back into the mount. It is a tight fit and some prying of the radio is usually needed. All din radios are mounted this way. There are YouTube videos on just how it is done.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #33

THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Yes. It takes a tool that looks like a bent piece of wire. If you have a bag with the printed documentation the tool may be in there. You can buy a kit with the tool at an auto parts store or Wal mart. A google search should give you detailed instructions.
Correction. The device/tool looks like a shim. I initially thought they were left over mounting hardware. See photo attached
Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #34

THOR #6199
Trying photo again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C19CDD7-3792-4673-BD61-273E201EE82D.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	11062  
Old 06-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #35

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurine View Post
We have had several problems with the Axerra radio in our Thor Vegas - back with the dealer today. They think it is defective.
I think the name Axxera means defective in Chinese
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #36

Model: Quantum WS31
State: Florida
THOR #11466
I also have a dead Axxera AV615BHM, in my 2017 Quantum. Several times during the first year, it wouldn't come on. Took it to LaMesa RV in Port St Lucie, FL (120 miles away). They gave it back to me working, and said nothing was wrong. Now at 1.5 years, completely dead. Dealer wanted $611 to replace with another Axxera. I said no thanks! Don't want the same crap. Was looking to replace with Pioneer AVH4400NEX as recommended on FB, but worried about the possibility of a short or bad connection somewhere. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I need someone to install a new one.
Saw the Pioneer listed for $521 on both Walmart and Amazon, and $700 at Best Buy. Since Best Buy website stated "Price Match Guarantee" and "Free Installation", I went there. Well, they wouldn't match the price, as both Walmart and Amazon listed "Shipped by third party". Also said they don't install in RV's.
Any suggestions for installations in South Florida? (Haven't ordered it yet, from anywhere)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:06 AM   #37

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Fixed

I picked our rig from storage this past Monday. I couldn’t get the Axxerr to turn on. I looked at the fusing chart and checked radio fuse, OK. Did some googling,,some said to try the reset button. Pressed the feet with a paper clip for. Ew seconds. Hit the power button and it turned on! 🤩👍😃
Old 07-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #38

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
Axxera AV615BHM Fuse Replacement to get radio working again.

I had an issues with my Axxera radio not working.

House batteries fully charged and on. I also pressed the reset button several times as well.

I remembered from previous radio installs in cars that some radios have a fuse at the back of the radio. Found a link on YouTube that explained how to remove the dash of the E450 chassis on my 2017 Thor Chateau 31W and did not see a fuse.

Called up Thor customer service and a very patient young man explained that there is a fuse, it is just in a difficult to see location right beneath the wiring harness. This is the back of a different Axxera radio, but the blue 15 amp fuse is in the same location if you look carefully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	g070AV614BH-B-1.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	38831

Took the dash apart (rather quickly this time since I had just put it back together earlier(GRRRR) removed the radio from the dash, found the blue 15 amp fused and pulled it out. It did not appear to be broken, but I swapped it out anyway. As soon as I fully inserted it the blue light came on the power button of the radio.

I had not seen anyone mention this fuse before, so it is something you may want to check if you have tried the reset button, and confirmed none of the other fuses are busted if your Axxera AV615BHM has stopped working (especially after you had to jump your vehicle, like I did).
Old 07-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #39
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That fuse has actually been mentioned multiple times regarding Axerra troubleshooting but you have really stepped up the knowledgebase with your detailed post and picture. Thanks for the contribution!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #40

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27362
I have a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE and have the Axxera AV615BHM radio bit no CD player. Bought it used in late 2020...used it once and radio went black. poked reset and power light came on but still black and no camera. Did you have to remove the radio to do all that work? if so how do I get the radio out.I have wires hanging from the back of the radio ..the white RCA jack was just hanging there as was the gray female RCA jack...I plugged the white into the gray but no change. do you have that Thor phone number yet?