Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 9
THOR #16550
Question Axxera AV615BHM replacement

Hi all, the Axxerra AV6215BHM radio in my Thor Hurricane 34 P has gone "Tango Uniform". I am considering replacing it with a Jensen Car1000. Any experiences or thoughts are appreciated.

__________________
johnnyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 3,934
THOR #13932
Look up
Android 10.1 inch screen, Android 9 double din radio.
Almost any brand will do.
It is essentially a radio with an attached Android tablet.
Posts 186 and 379 in my signature thread.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 576
THOR #12830
Jensen and Axxera are both low end units. Junk for junk in my opinion. Go to crutchfield.com for units that will fit your chassis.
__________________
2017 Mercedes Chateau Citation 24SR, flat towing at times a 2013 Honda CRV or two Rad Power electric bikes depending on the trip.
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,196
THOR #6826
Well an RVs acoustics are such that a high end unit probably would be wasted. I bought a low to mid level Kenwood from Crutchfieldís scratch and dent selection and Iím really pleased. Whichever radio you buy make sure it has the capability to add remote, driver controls. My eyes are not what they used to be and I hated having to look away from the road and bend way down to make adjustments. Recently added controls I can reach at the wheel and itís my new favorite mod.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 576
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Well an RVs acoustics are such that a high end unit probably would be wasted. I bought a low to mid level Kenwood from Crutchfieldís scratch and dent selection and Iím really pleased. Whichever radio you buy make sure it has the capability to add remote, driver controls. My eyes are not what they used to be and I hated having to look away from the road and bend way down to make adjustments. Recently added controls I can reach at the wheel and itís my new favorite mod.
Change your speakers and you'd be surprised. Maybe your ears aren't the same either. Just joking, its a BIG difference IMO.
__________________
2017 Mercedes Chateau Citation 24SR, flat towing at times a 2013 Honda CRV or two Rad Power electric bikes depending on the trip.
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,196
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Change your speakers and you'd be surprised. Maybe your ears aren't the same either. Just joking, its a BIG difference IMO.


Itís on my list for when the weather gets warm to pull the covers off and see what Iíve got now. All I know from looking at them is that they appear to be 6.5 inch JVCs. I was surprised to find an external amp which I reused. I couldnít see a name or model number on it because itís bolted down. Itís an interesting,ongoing project.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 3,934
THOR #13932
If you want to do radio right:
I have some excellent metal horns and matched speakers and a fantastic tube type receiver and amp for trade.
I'll trade for a dog turd shaped like George Washington, if I really like that dog turd.
I'm a very easy trade.

Personally I wouldn't spend a penny on a stereo when the vehicle has a 75db background noise going on.
But I do have some fantastic equipment for sale.
I think there's a picture of the speakers somewhere in my signature thread.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 713
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If you want to do radio right:
I have some excellent metal horns and matched speakers and a fantastic tube type receiver and amp for trade.
I'll trade for a dog turd shaped like George Washington, if I really like that dog turd.
I'm a very easy trade.

Personally I wouldn't spend a penny on a stereo when the vehicle has a 75db background noise going on.
But I do have some fantastic equipment for sale.
I think there's a picture of the speakers somewhere in my signature thread.
Nothing like being honest!
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Texas
Posts: 22
THOR #5911
Send a message via AIM to JAE Darbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyanderson View Post
Hi all, the Axxerra AV6215BHM radio in my Thor Hurricane 34 P has gone "Tango Uniform". I am considering replacing it with a Jensen Car1000. Any experiences or thoughts are appreciated.
Duckface (on this Forum) suggests that Thor gives us "loaner" equipment, such as radios, microwaves, taillights, etc. and expects the owner to replace them with more suitable equipment.

I replaced my Axxerra AV6215BHM with a KENWOOD DDX8905S. Works well and has good instructions on interfacing with the Axxerra AV6215BHM radio wire bundles. Fits directly in the space.

I also added speakers in the ceiling and walls of the coach (AXIS 24.1), using the BLUETOOTH interface available from the KENWOOD. I kept the "loaner" speakers but the aftermarket units give a much better performance and helps to override the road/engine noise.
__________________
JAE Darbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axxera replacement, axxerra, radio broken

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2