Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Wiley1 - One thing I DEFINITELY agree with you on is... why didn't Ford design the screw mounting points to be behind an EASILY removeable bezel?

Probably because the sheet metal "skeleton" under all that plastic dashboard is ANCIENT... possibly 15 - 20 year old vintage. Back then, Ford rarely if ever installed a double DIN unit in the dash... although the hole was there - the extra space for a storage bin below the radio. The cutaway chassis is a derivative of the old Econoline commercial van platform. People buying those didn't much care about the radio.

As seen by the radio in the video, it's wider than the "fake bezel" on the new unit. Maybe that's why Ford put the screw mounts so far under the plastic dash... to accommodate the "then wider" dash radio units.

Ford has been updating the plastic every few years to "fake us out" and make it look more modern. But they aren't fooling anyone... And the likely reason they haven't changed those radio mounting points is $$$. Ford will milk that design as long as possible. It costs them to make new forms for sheet metal... but that plastic dash is likely MUCH cheaper injection molded plastic.

Questionable engineering decisions can usually be traced back to the bean counters.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:40 AM   #42
WG4

State: Nevada
THOR #25087
Axxera without power (yellow wire - 15A inline fuse?)

Hello! Have a 2017 Outlaw with the same problem noted in a few different threads, switched the house batteries and now no power to the Axxera radio. DC power works in the house and everything else is well. Replaced fuse on back of radio just in case, but no luck. Multimeter notes the yellow wire (constant) without power. Have seen in posts there is an inline 15A fuse somewhere but MAN I can’t find that little guy! Anyone got some ideas about where else I can look in a Class C Outlaw? I may be missing it, but not behind dash, not under dash, not under hood and don’t see anything in the battery bay. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-26-2021, 02:15 AM   #43

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
There are a couple fuses under the hood on the driver side firewall... behind the radiator overflow container. If memory serves, I blew one of those - I think a 7amp?? - when swapping house batteries. My fuse holders were just inline, not mounted to anything. Worth checking??

Oh... mine is an E-350 chassis... probably much different engine bay.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #44

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by WG4 View Post
Have seen in posts there is an inline 15A fuse somewhere but MAN I can’t find that little guy! Anyone got some ideas about where else I can look in a Class C Outlaw?
Have you logged into the Thor owner website? When I had a similar issue, I downloaded a wiring diagram that showed me where to look.

try here:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/
Old 11-19-2021, 03:07 AM   #45
WG4

State: Nevada
THOR #25087
Found it!

Thanks to both Chateau_ Nomad and Wiley for the replies. I went looking again. The 7.5amps were good to know, but they were both fine. I tracked the yellow wire towards the back of the RV…thought originally it was hiding by the house battery, but turns out it was BEHIND my fuse/converter box under my closet in the Outlaw Class C. If you own one, just pull out a couple drawers and look behind the fuse/converter box. BOOM there it is, staring at you. 5 minute fix that only took me 5 hours to figure out!

A bonus thank you to Marvin Nelson…he commented on the strange wiring on a post elsewhere in this forum. Very helpful to give me the courage to go banging around back there. Anyway - THANKS! Stereo is operational!
Old 11-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #46

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by WG4 View Post
... but turns out it was BEHIND my fuse/converter box under my closet in the Outlaw Class C. If you own one, just pull out a couple drawers and look behind the fuse/converter box. BOOM there it is, staring at you. 5 minute fix that only took me 5 hours to figure out!
I love to hear a success story. Every time we get through one of those experiences, we learn a little bit more about the rig that we own. The next time, it really will take 5 minutes.