Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Axxera radio again...

I hate to beat a dead horse with Axxera radio problems, but it is a real piece of work!

Our radio seems to not want to work, out of the blue, whenever, for no rhyme or reason. Reset button or whatever you try to no avail to get it to work.
Then one day it works again with the push of the on button. This makes me believe it is not a fuse.

So I decide I'm going to replace it, I watch Youtube videos to see how to remove it. I want it in hand, to measure dimensions before buying a replacement, one with certain features included, especially the back up camera compatibility.

The glamour ring around the double din opening does not want to come off.
Believe me, I thought it was going to break first. It appeared the tabs on it, that hold it in, are far longer than what it will flex to remove. I never got it off.

Now of course, the radio turns on, the camera and all, work again. Ugh!
I leave it turned on and notice that with the screwdriver under the bottom side, working the screwdriver I can hear it beep, like when it does going through the menu when I wiggle it. Well, anyway I stopped, because I do not want to chew up my dash trying to get this thing out.

What's up with this? Does this radio ground itself by mere contact with the cradle in there? That's what I am starting to believe. I'm about to wedge a shim in there to see, lol.
I left it on for 3 days straight with no issues. Albeit it is sitting at home now.
(My last 3 week trip was a pain with it, never working for the majority of the time. It worked one time by turning it on, then an hour & half down the road, nothing again.)

Is there a secret to how to get the thin cover off from around the screen?

Knowing how this radio is finicky as to when it will turn on and work, I have since added a bluetooth Garmin backup camera, and paired it to my Garmin GPS. At least I didn't need assistance when backing up.

Thanks in advance...

Old 08-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #2

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
What coach do you have and what model number radio it's on top left of face.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #3

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Any double din radio will work. I replaced mine with a pioneer avh 491bhs. You have to remove the entire dash face plate. It’s a pita. All the switches and controls are mounted to it so they all have to be unplugged and the steering column loosened.