Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #19495
Axxera Radio Firmware

Hi folks!

Struggling with and issue and I think I may out of luck. However, I thought I’d throw it out to this smart group to see if there are any ideas.

I needed to upgrade the firmware on my AVM82NAV to fix the “mute when signaling” issue. Loaded the USB and started the upgrade. It stalled at about 50% and stayed there for several hours. I decided to try to start over since there was no movement knowing this could be a bad move.

My fear was realized as the unit will no longer power on. I have turned off cabin power and have removed the power source from the back of the radio to try to get it to reset. All to no avail.

Axxera Support wasn’t much help and gave me similar steps to what I have already tried.

Any other ideas out there or do I just need to give up and buy a new system? Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Did you try pressing and holding the reset switch for 30 seconds?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:45 AM   #3

THOR #19495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Did you try pressing and holding the reset switch for 30 seconds?
Ah, forgot to include that. Yes, I did that too but it didn't seem to help. I think the firmware drives all of those buttons so since it failed in the middle of the update, that could be my issue.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
Your radio is "bricked" . That's actually a cellphone term. It means that the phone has been converted to something akin to an actual brick. It can happen if a firmware update is interrupted. The problem is that updating the firmware is managed by the firmware itself. The most common reason for this is because power to the device was interrupted during the update process. But it can also happen is the update itself is badly written code. Given the reputation of this brand, that is the more likely reason. To put the quality in perspective, while the dealer will likely charge you $800 or more, I've seen the same unit on Alibaba, the Asian site that let's mfrs there sell to individuals here for less than $50.

Your only option is to replace it. I recommend you spend $150 or a little more for a better brand like Pioneer, Kenwood or Clarion. Sorry for your situation.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

THOR #19495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldwizard View Post
Your radio is "bricked" . That's actually a cellphone term. It means that the phone has been converted to something akin to an actual brick. It can happen if a firmware update is interrupted. The problem is that updating the firmware is managed by the firmware itself. The most common reason for this is because power to the device was interrupted during the update process. But it can also happen is the update itself is badly written code. Given the reputation of this brand, that is the more likely reason. To put the quality in perspective, while the dealer will likely charge you $800 or more, I've seen the same unit on Alibaba, the Asian site that let's mfrs there sell to individuals here for less than $50.

Your only option is to replace it. I recommend you spend $150 or a little more for a better brand like Pioneer, Kenwood or Clarion. Sorry for your situation.
Appreciate the response. That's what I figured - thanks for confirming.

Tags
firmware, radio broken