Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2022, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Oklahoma
THOR #23072
Axxera radio Help

Hi guys we have a 2019 Thor Freedom Traveler, of course all the tvs and the radio are Axxera brand my house batteries went down last year sometime during the winter when I recharged them the radio seemed to go wonky going into a demo mode which was flashing on the screen and we could not get it to reset, after many hours of checking fuses and talking to Thor they gave me the phone number for Axxera, I called and was informed that they did not have a demo mode for their radios I called bs and sent them the video of it going through the demo mode while demo mode flashed on the radio screen they are still in denial no such thing lol anyway they replaced the radio with a new one which CW botched the install on and the connection box fell out from behind the dash during out trip to TN in August LOL I just left it laying where it fell on the hump mount it was still working so...not broke dont fix it yeh ? House batteries were flat again when I went out to check on rv three weeks ago dont know why because rv is hooked up through power at the storage facility at 115 car cab battery was flat as well as house batteries, found out that all batteries were almost out of water so, added water to all, charging house batteries directly now but I noticed that the radio was doing almost the same thing as before I will check again today, longer story short any suggestions on a different radio that I can install into that spot besides an Axxera POS it needs to have connections for three cameras left and right side turn signal cameras and back up camera.....I seem to remember someone here suggesting a Jensen just cant remember the model number...any help is always appreciated...Thanks Dave and Louise

Old 02-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
1 - PARAGRAPHS!
2 - The radio does NOT need 3 camera inputs, only a single RCA BU camera input. The switching is done external to the radio.
3 - Any double-DIN radio with BU camera input will work.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:16 PM   #3

THOR #23072
1 I am 72 I do not do"PARAGRAPHS!" anymore I am not an English teacher...
2 thank you for your reply and solutions to my issue I will certainly look at all double DIN radios

3 I came on here to find a solution to my problems, this being a place with friendly folks and possibly some great solutions for said problem and not to be chastised because I did not put it in PARAGRAPHS! Go have a cup of coffee and and spin down a bit.

Dave and Louise

2019 Thor Freedom Traveler A30
2022 Blazer LT

2020 Toyota Camry XSE

KI5FYU/WRDU-841/SOA2027
MA-DEUCE 50 CAL
M-60 op

USMC RETIRED

Dont need no paragraphs to finish a battle report after a fire fight...
enjoy your day..
Old 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
And we don't need no stinking badges ether! That being said, your batteries that low in water most likely have sulfated. They will not have anything near the capacity that they had. You will be looking for new batteries sooner than you may think. Keep a close eye on them. Happy camping.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonicaking View Post
1 I am 72 I do not do"PARAGRAPHS!" anymore I am not an English teacher...
2 thank you for your reply and solutions to my issue I will certainly look at all double DIN radios

3 I came on here to find a solution to my problems, this being a place with friendly folks and possibly some great solutions for said problem and not to be chastised because I did not put it in PARAGRAPHS! Go have a cup of coffee and and spin down a bit.

Dave and Louise

2019 Thor Freedom Traveler A30
2022 Blazer LT

2020 Toyota Camry XSE

KI5FYU/WRDU-841/SOA2027
MA-DEUCE 50 CAL
M-60 op

USMC RETIRED

Dont need no paragraphs to finish a battle report after a fire fight...
enjoy your day..
Paragraphs make your post easier to read.
Easier to read means better and more helpful responses.

Just something to consider, not a chastisement. My old eyeballs hurt and my aging ADD brain had trouble following your post. They both said "bail" but I got what I could out of it and responded accordingly.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #6

THOR #23072
Thanks MLP appreciated and hell yeh WE DONT NEED NO STINKING BADGES LOL yeh we bought this thing new in 2020 and have had it on three trips one short one to the lake then into the shop to fix some interior stuff and replace decals on the body they had it for close to six months, we winterized it and stored it for the winter, kept it hooked up to land power went back out to fire up gen and let it run and found the house batteries dead and radio doing its weird thing lol got it fired up and back to CW for more warranty work they replaced radio then on to Branson in June everything worked as it should, off to TN and NC in August for two weeks, everything worked as should except some connection box feel out from behind dash board that had the new radio and cameras connected to it LOL wasnt broke so didnt fix it and now after winterizing and storing dead batteries, checked levels they were completely dry OH BOY ! So they are deep cycle marine batteries filled them with distilled water put on battery charger they are now at 14 volts am going back out today to switch the charger onto the car battery, but the radio appears to be doing the same thing we shall see, am leaning towards dumping the axxera and installing something else that has a better operating history... the TVs I added sound bars to the front where they could be heard and sound nice and the back one added a shelf stereo system with an aux connection so now have good bass and tone on both tvs good pictures just lousy sound....I will keep a close eye on those batteries been looking at costs of new ones.. just in case .......Have a good one, we were just in San Francisco on some family business am thinking about maybe going back out in RV and hitting Bodega Bay Rv Campground its beautiful there....not sure I want to drive in LA traffic and SF traffic to get out there hahahahaha... Take care safe and sane travels to you and yours....
Old 02-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #7

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonicaking View Post
Thanks MLP appreciated and hell yeh WE DONT NEED NO STINKING BADGES LOL yeh we bought this thing new in 2020 and have had it on three trips one short one to the lake then into the shop to fix some interior stuff and replace decals on the body they had it for close to six months, we winterized it and stored it for the winter, kept it hooked up to land power went back out to fire up gen and let it run and found the house batteries dead and radio doing its weird thing lol got it fired up and back to CW for more warranty work they replaced radio then on to Branson in June everything worked as it should, off to TN and NC in August for two weeks, everything worked as should except some connection box feel out from behind dash board that had the new radio and cameras connected to it LOL wasnt broke so didnt fix it and now after winterizing and storing dead batteries, checked levels they were completely dry OH BOY ! So they are deep cycle marine batteries filled them with distilled water put on battery charger they are now at 14 volts am going back out today to switch the charger onto the car battery, but the radio appears to be doing the same thing we shall see, am leaning towards dumping the axxera and installing something else that has a better operating history... the TVs I added sound bars to the front where they could be heard and sound nice and the back one added a shelf stereo system with an aux connection so now have good bass and tone on both tvs good pictures just lousy sound....I will keep a close eye on those batteries been looking at costs of new ones.. just in case .......Have a good one, we were just in San Francisco on some family business am thinking about maybe going back out in RV and hitting Bodega Bay Rv Campground its beautiful there....not sure I want to drive in LA traffic and SF traffic to get out there hahahahaha... Take care safe and sane travels to you and yours....
I got lost on point there sir.
My font is not large enough, & when I do, it's hard to follow the lines...JS
Old 02-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I never read the one page wonders

Total waste of time
Old 02-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #9

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
para A
If you want to eliminate the POS, then drive to the nearest audiophile shop and explain what you need, they would get what you want and install it professionally too. None of this cut corners crap.

para B
Now, yer batteries are most likely toast, but I would give them one more chance, obtain a voltmeter and confirm that you are charging when driving AND when plugged into an AC outlet.

para C
When parked, if connected to shore power, make sure the Store/Use switch is connected to USE, and check with the voltmeter that the batts are charging! If NOT connected to SP, then ensure the batteries are in Store or actually disconnect them at the battery (House and Chassis) and keep an eye on the water levels.

Out
Old 02-11-2022, 08:49 PM   #10

THOR #23072
Copy that OW everything is charged and things are running normal again, I did trip and reset some of the switches....I have ordered a battery tester to check out put and input info which will be here Sunday, and yep im gonna look in Tulsa for an audio outlet store maybe best buy to buy and install get er done right...just tried of the Charlie Foxtrot, but I guess as they say you buy a boat or an RV then you gonna be feeding it money LOL Thank you for the info....be safe out there......Dave
Old 02-12-2022, 05:23 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #8362
If you end up replacing the radio, get a Kenwood or Pioneer. I don't care for the Axxera but it's miles ahead of the Jensen. If you have a boat, the Jensen might come in handy as a spare boat anchor.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #12

THOR #23072
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thanks Papa we copy that we have owned enough boat anchors in our life.....will stay away from the Jensen.....Safe Travels Dave
Old 02-16-2022, 09:49 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papafoos View Post
If you end up replacing the radio, get a Kenwood or Pioneer. I don't care for the Axxera but it's miles ahead of the Jensen. If you have a boat, the Jensen might come in handy as a spare boat anchor.

Don't buy Axxera. I am on my 3rd one only because the other 2 were warrantied. I will never knowingly buy an Axxera on purpose. Actually I can't even spell it.

Alajeu
Old 02-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #14

THOR #23072
Thank you AlaJeu, I agree they are basically just bunch of scrap metal I hope Thor at some point steps up and goes to a different brand....Thank you again Dave
Old 02-16-2022, 10:41 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #12533
Just a suggestion on the Axxera radio. There should be a small reset button on the faceplate. Have to push it with a bent paper clip. If that doesn't work, the menu setting should take it off of demo. Don't remember to exact one so I would have to fumble around to find it. The Axxera sucks but the issue is coming from it not being powered. There should be a manual on the Thor owners site for your model. It will have detailed instructions on the menus and resetting it. The Axxera is run by the house batteries rather than the chassis battery. I would suggest getting gel (AGM) batteries for replacements of the house and chassis batteries. They don't run out of water and work with the existing inverter and converters in the RV. I did that swap a couple of years ago and haven't had issues since when I leave it plugged in to shore power at my storage place. No expensive converter or inverter swap to use AGM batteries instead of lithium batteries.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:19 PM   #16

THOR #23072
Hey Thanks Houche, spent an hour and 45 minutes with Thor lol and they couldnt figure it out either. I had videos of the radio changing screens with a big DEMO MODE at the top of the screen, Thor finally got me the phone number for Axxera and I called them, their reply was and I quote "we dont have a demo mode on any of our radios!" LOL of course I offered to send them the video there reply was "its under warranty have them request to replace it!" ergo radio number two in da house LOL Thanks for your input we did find the reset switch during the hour and 45 min talk with Thor as well as pulling all the fuses and waiting fifteen minutes to see if that helped NADA ENCHILADA ! Thanks again it is appreciated..... Dave
Old 02-17-2022, 02:38 AM   #17

State: New York
THOR #18343
Learn to turn off the house batteries when not using your rv and most of your issues will go away! You can only cause them to go flat so many times before you need to replace them!