Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2022, 04:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27362
The dash on the E450 Fords from 2009 on actually have 17 plastic snaps in all to take the dash apart and it's not a real hard job. You can buy the instructions for removing it all from Crutchfield for ten bucks plus tax. I did yesterday. You also have to unplug the dash accessories harnesses but it is not that difficult. There are four screws that holds the radio in. Thanks to this forum I was able to get those instructions and take the dash off my 2017 (with 2016 E450) Thor FE22 to get a new radio installed.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:27 AM   #22

Model: Chateau 24Hl
State: Nevada
THOR #27176
Kenwood harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Here ya go...

Kenwood DMX706S 7" Digital Media Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto https://a.co/d/hmiz93D

After buying the best, better get some quality noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones, because motorhome acoustics are known to be "somewhat detrimental" to studio quality audio.
I'm interested in installing this unit, as I assume you have. Can you tell me if there is a aftermarket harness (2017 Sprinter 3500) for this or did you have to splice everything in yourself?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old 08-06-2022, 12:58 AM   #23

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I replaced the Axxera in my 2016 Vegas and the wires were all color coded for easy splicing and the installation instructions were spot on. I checked all the color before i severed them from the Axxera.

Now my 2016 Hurricane Axxera won't play a CD. We have several unheard books on CD that help long travel days pass. Failing that, we are using the Bluetooth feature and several audio services until I can get a replacement. It's on my list but not the top priority.

The last Axxera quirk was a male voice repeating "power on" every 10 seconds. The paper clip reset trick made that go away. Solved thanks to the search feature on this forum.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:44 PM   #24

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #27793
I have a 2020 Miramar with a ASC419N Axxera radio. It lasted about a year before going blank. All reset attempts have failed. I had a low voltage problem last winter that I believe contributed to its failure.

I would like to replace it with an upgrade that will support the 3 cameras and have a comparable 10 inch screen. Any suggestion? Also….my current radio is a single din. Can a double din fit into this space? Kenwood seems to be a popular option.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneD View Post
I have a 2020 Miramar with a ASC419N Axxera radio. It lasted about a year before going blank. All reset attempts have failed. I had a low voltage problem last winter that I believe contributed to its failure.

I would like to replace it with an upgrade that will support the 3 cameras and have a comparable 10 inch screen. Any suggestion? Also….my current radio is a single din. Can a double din fit into this space? Kenwood seems to be a popular option.
With a single DIN slot you'll need a radio that has a single DIN base with an external screen just like the ASC419N or modify the radio hole.

As far as the cameras go: The radio just needs a backup camera input. The 3 cameras are switched external to the radio.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:31 AM   #26

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
With a single DIN slot you'll need a radio that has a single DIN base with an external screen just like the ASC419N or modify the radio hole.

As far as the cameras go: The radio just needs a backup camera input. The 3 cameras are switched external to the radio.
Good suggestion, but wouldn't it work to connect the camera cords to a dash mounted screen? I find it takes my eyes off the road too long to look down at the screen on the radio. I'm planning to install a monitor on the dash. One more project on the to do list along with replace the Axx!
Old 08-30-2022, 01:35 AM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Good suggestion, but wouldn't it work to connect the camera cords to a dash mounted screen? I find it takes my eyes off the road too long to look down at the screen on the radio. I'm planning to install a monitor on the dash. One more project on the to do list along with replace the Axx!
Yes. I split my RCA out of the multiplexer so the radio camera still works and I have a 10" monitor on the left corner of the dash which shows the rear camera anytime the turn signals aren't engaged.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #28

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
An abbreviation assist please. What does DIN, double DIN stand for? And how do I know which I have? My Axxera stuff doesn’t refer to DIN.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #29

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
https://www.bestcaraudio.com/what-is...din-car-radio/
Old 08-30-2022, 12:06 PM   #30

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
Thanks. I thought it had something to do with capabilities. So my Axxera is a double din.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:47 PM   #31

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #27793
Din

DIN is a German acronym for Deutsches Institut fur Normung. Leave it to the Germans to set the standard for stereo chassis. All you need to know is single DIN units are 2 inches high by 7 inches wide. Double DIN is 4 inches high by 7 inches wide. Obviously it is important to know what your unit has to avoid significant modifications to your unit.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:23 AM   #32

THOR #27834
Apple Carplay

The Axxera on my new Palazzo 37.5 doesn’t have Apple CarPlay which I use a lot. Go figure. I read an easy way to get CarPlay is not to spend $1000 or more on a completely new unit is to buy a Android tablet, install the CarPlay app the attach a wireless CarPlay dongle. Can be done for under $100 if you buy a small tablet. I’m going big 10-12" tablet.
Does anyone have any advice on how to mount the tablet on the dash. I’ll still use the Axxera for the cameras and that’s all.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:38 PM   #33

Model: 24HE
THOR #27061
Completely agree. it's an embarassment to THOR. The issue with the replcaement is the wiring harness in the back will not match up with any other radio. So we as owners are stuck to pay inflated prices for crappy radios!

THAT off my chest, I NEED to replace mine. Does anyone have one for sale at a bargain price!?

Jim
Old 09-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #34

Model: 24HE
THOR #27061
Question -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
We replaced the Axxerra with the Kenwood DDX6706s and its camera is better than the Axxera. Do your research before buying a replacement. We are very happy with our Kenwood.
Homer3 - Mine also crapped out. I'm worried about putting a different brand in as the wirning harness will truly be different? How did you handle the differences?
Old 09-08-2022, 12:44 AM   #35

Model: Palazzo
State: Connecticut
THOR #27397
The first thing I noticed is the Axxera sounds terrible. For those of you who upgraded, did you upgrade the speakers too? I would at least like to get something that sounds decent and I would assume the speakers are just as bad and the unit itself.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:45 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Here ya go...

Kenwood DMX706S 7" Digital Media Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto https://a.co/d/hmiz93D

After buying the best, better get some quality noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones, because motorhome acoustics are known to be "somewhat detrimental" to studio quality audio.
Thanks will it fit the area in a 2020 vegas 25.6 and have you tested siriusxm with it?
Old 10-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #37

THOR #28081
Seeing mind-boggling responses over how one should be grateful that Thor even put in a placeholder POC. This maybe so for seasoned owners or those with too much cash to spare but when paying an amount what in a normal market could buy one a house I would expect a bit more than crappy electronics and $30 camera's.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwanvanderstap View Post
Seeing mind-boggling responses over how one should be grateful that Thor even put in a placeholder POC. This maybe so for seasoned owners or those with too much cash to spare but when paying an amount what in a normal market could buy one a house I would expect a bit more than crappy electronics and $30 camera's.
You have to buy a more expensive house on wheels if you want better fixtures. You bought a starter house on wheels and got cheap fixtures so the price point is as low as possible.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:31 PM   #39

THOR #28081
I am not being unrealistic and I agree "you get what you pay for" but this seems like such a minor upgrade that it would not even show in the MSRP.

Add to that the fact that we are starters indeed and are asking questions here on the forum that may be coming across as whining but understanding the fact that things are simply what they are makes me spend less time trying to fix the unfix-able. ;-)

Feedback and push-back are always appreciated!