Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Florida
THOR #16814
Axxera Radio Replacement

Like I've seen on a number of posts, the axxera radio's cutting out the audio on engaging the turn signals drove me crazy. Well, the blasted thing died and I have the opportunity to replace it with a better unit. I know there have been posts along this line but I'm having a hard time finding the brand and model descriptions so I was hoping someone could give me some info. I'm leaning toward Kenwood or Pioneer. Appreciate the help.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:40 AM   #2

Model: ACE 30.4
State: California
THOR #12011
We replaced the Axxera in our 2018 ACE 30.4 with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. Pretty easy install with a double DIN mounting kit. We really like the features and sound of this unit, so much better than the Axxera. Apple Play and Android Auto also

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...rs/AVH-2550NEX
Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Florida
THOR #16814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsmith4845 View Post
We replaced the Axxera in our 2018 ACE 30.4 with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. Pretty easy install with a double DIN mounting kit. We really like the features and sound of this unit, so much better than the Axxera. Apple Play and Android Auto also

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...rs/AVH-2550NEX
Thanks Tim. I'll check it out. Need to do something quick in order to have tunes (and mirror cams) in time for out trip next month!
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Axxera Radio Replacement

Curious to hear how hard it is to set back up the mirror and backup cameras. I know they're connected to a video switcher and all.

I've been running an old tablet with 4G. Use it as a hotspot connected to the Wifi Ranger.

Phone mounts to the left running Waze.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4635.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	20452
Old 09-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #5

THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
Curious to hear how hard it is to set back up the mirror and backup cameras. I know they're connected to a video switcher and all.

I've been running an old tablet with 4G. Use it as a hotspot connected to the Wifi Ranger.

Phone mounts to the left running Waze.

Attachment 20452
I used the same video feed out of the video switcher for the two mirror cameras and the rear view camera, just plugged the feed into the new unit and it worked great. Left mirror camera with left turn signal, right mirror camera with right turn signal and rear view camera with reverse. There’s an icon to select rear view camera while driving also. Slick.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #6

THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt34J View Post
Thanks Tim. I'll check it out. Need to do something quick in order to have tunes (and mirror cams) in time for out trip next month!
You’re welcome.

I installed ours a few months ago, right before a trip hauling our race car from California to Wisconsin and back. No issues. I really like using the Apple Car Play for Google Maps, etc. Great interface and so much easier than trying to read directions off the phone.

For install, I did have to trim the brown facia around the stereo as the Pioneer is larger than the Axxera. Not difficult.

Tim
Old 11-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #11389
I am considering the AVH2550 as well since we can’t tolerate the Axxera much longer. It is encouraging to hear that it works as a straightforward swap without needing a bunch of adapters.

I notice that the AVH2550 has an option for a second camera. We have a Thor Outlaw class C and use the garage as a kennel for our dog (in a crash resistant kennel attached to the floor). I’d like to use the second camera to be able to check on her intermittently. Has anyone used the second camera input? If so, is it possible to connect a camera with a shorter focal length than a standard backup camera like maybe a webcam?

Other suggestions welcome.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:46 AM   #8

THOR #14070
You guys, I found this thread last night and ran out to Best Buy first thing this morning to get the Pioneer. They are on sale for Black Friday, down from $450 to $300. I had the old POS Axxera out and the new Pioneer installed in 30 minutes. I was able to use the cage from the old Axxera, so I didn’t even need a mounting kit. THANK YOU for the suggestion and encouragement to do this. It’s been 20 years since I installed a vehicle stereo; this was by far the easiest. There is so much room to work!

The only down side is the size of the screen. It’s the same size as the head unit, so you can see the aluminum cage (see image). For only that reason I might put in a unit with a larger screen. For now, I now longer have to deal with the Axxera freezing, turning solid green, shutting off, rebooting itself constantly, and completely non-functional navigation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B3CB1F2-10E1-4115-AA37-38B813C56309.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	21620  
Old 11-25-2019, 03:38 AM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
For the dog camera, you want this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CW...ob_neva_mobile
Displays to your phone.
Mine is Flawless.

For a radio replacement:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/sho...&postcount=186
Old 11-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #10

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Pricey but ....

Kenwood DNX775RVS Navigation Receiver
Old 11-26-2019, 01:25 AM   #11

THOR #14070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Pricey but ....

That one certainly has a lot of features. Notably, the ability to identify as an RV and to get routing which accommodates your height and weight — that is cool.

However, the same size screen and everything (I think) I need in the pioneer, for one fifth the price, it’s hard to beat. Also, the installer at Best Buy told me that in his opinion and based on returns he sees, JVC are trash, Kenwoods are just okay, and the Pioneers are the way to go. [emoji2371]
Old 10-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
I am considering the following units to replace the AXERA radio in my unit.

Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX

Both have the ability to specify size and wt. Pricing for thes units is about the same.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote