Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Axxera radio replacement

From the get-go, the USB mirroring our Axxera radio didn't work. It also did not recognize the Sirius Radio antenna.

I spent about two hours on the phone with Axxera technical support who had me update the firmware multiple times. Their suggestion was to get it replaced.

On the last trip to the repair shop, they ordered it and several other minor things that needed to be taken care of.

Today, with Axxera technical support (they are awesome!) help, I got the radio out of the MH and took it to the repair shop (about 40 minutes away) and got my new one.

I put it in, put the dash back together, and it works perfectly!

I have also replaced the waste tank vent caps, one of which had its top missing from the beginning.

There was also a USB outlet above the dinette that had a green light, but no power. I replaced that, also.

It feels great to be able to replace these things and not have my MH sitting in a lot for weeks to months, not having it ready at my disposal!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Welcome to the REALISTIC world of RV Ownership.
We have been FAR and WIDE happier since I just gave up on the stealerships that don’t have a clue or aren’t willing to correct factory sins in manufacturing.
It’s my RV and For 95% of anything it needs, I am fully capable of doing. Between these forums, YouTube and FB, you can find many other people that have either done what you need to do or are in the process of doing it themselves.
Congratulations!
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #3

THOR #21941
Besides, it's fun!

The engineering and research are the best part. Almost feel lost when a project is done!

Next on the list: Add a battery and install inverter!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 10-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Besides, it's fun!

The engineering and research are the best part. Almost feel lost when a project is done!

Next on the list: Add a battery and install inverter!
I agree. I mean it sucks when something is broken but figuring it out and sorting the mess is part of the fun.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Cool

It does help that I’m a retired engineer (are we ever really retired?) ....
I understand the feelings of many people though:
“Don’t have the tools...”...
“I don’t know how...”...
“I shouldn’t have to fix it, the dealer or mfgr does...”....
“I don’t have the time...”...

My response to all of this is - get with the program.
Tools are generally not that expensive, plus you’ll have them for future jobs.
You’re not going to learn any younger! Today we have the advantage of these forums and video channels. If you want to wait for the dealer or mfgr to fix things “right”, you may be waiting a very long time. Time - most jobs really don’t take that long. How long does it take you to haul that rig to the dealer, stand in line at the service counter waiting your turn, only for the service person to tell you that it might be a couple weeks when you know it will be there a month? Oh yeah, and now you have to get a ride home and back!

Once people realize that they will be a lot happier doing it themselves in mist cases, RV ownership becomes more of a pleasant vocation to get you on vacation...
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #6

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
It does help that I’m a retired engineer (are we ever really retired?) ....
I understand the feelings of many people though:
“Don’t have the tools...”...
“I don’t know how...”...
“I shouldn’t have to fix it, the dealer or mfgr does...”....
“I don’t have the time...”...

My response to all of this is - get with the program.
Tools are generally not that expensive, plus you’ll have them for future jobs.
You’re not going to learn any younger! Today we have the advantage of these forums and video channels. If you want to wait for the dealer or mfgr to fix things “right”, you may be waiting a very long time. Time - most jobs really don’t take that long. How long does it take you to haul that rig to the dealer, stand in line at the service counter waiting your turn, only for the service person to tell you that it might be a couple weeks when you know it will be there a month? Oh yeah, and now you have to get a ride home and back!

Once people realize that they will be a lot happier doing it themselves in mist cases, RV ownership becomes more of a pleasant vocation to get you on vacation...
Couldn't agree more. First thing I bought for the MH was its own set of tools.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Besides, when wife goes to Walmart for whatever, I stay at campground and entertain myself by doing a project on the todo list. As long as I’ve got a multi screwdriver and a pair of pliers, with a beer or 2, I can fix anything (most of the time )
Old 10-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #16395
Is there an aftermarket replacement for the Axxerra radio that will still make using all three cameras work? I hate resetting the clock, the GPS is useless (can’t get there from here) and the blue tooth will not pair with my iPhone.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #9

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderking View Post
Is there an aftermarket replacement for the Axxerra radio that will still make using all three cameras work? I hate resetting the clock, the GPS is useless (can’t get there from here) and the blue tooth will not pair with my iPhone.
Lots of other threads on that issue. The cameras are controlled by a switcher that plugs into the back of the radio.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Lots of other threads on that issue. The cameras are controlled by a switcher that plugs into the back of the radio.
Just to expound - there is only one camera input on the radio as the switchbox does the camera switching. So almost any double DIN radio with a backup camera input will work.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #11

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Just to expound - there is only one camera input on the radio as the switchbox does the camera switching. So almost any double DIN radio with a backup camera input will work.
Isn't that what I said?

Old 10-06-2021, 03:07 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Indiana
THOR #5760
I’m on my third Axxera. However this last time I did the install and not had anymore problems. You may ask why….well from the factory and then the second one installed by the dealership neither entity put a support on the back of the unit therefore every bump shook the unit till it just died. When I took the second one out I immediately saw no support and knew why they were dying so quick, I put a support on the back and it has worked for the past 3 years just fine.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
From the get-go, the USB mirroring our Axxera radio didn't work. It also did not recognize the Sirius Radio antenna.

I spent about two hours on the phone with Axxera technical support who had me update the firmware multiple times. Their suggestion was to get it replaced.

On the last trip to the repair shop, they ordered it and several other minor things that needed to be taken care of.

Today, with Axxera technical support (they are awesome!) help, I got the radio out of the MH and took it to the repair shop (about 40 minutes away) and got my new one.

I put it in, put the dash back together, and it works perfectly!

I have also replaced the waste tank vent caps, one of which had its top missing from the beginning.

There was also a USB outlet above the dinette that had a green light, but no power. I replaced that, also.

It feels great to be able to replace these things and not have my MH sitting in a lot for weeks to months, not having it ready at my disposal!
Where did you get the USB outlet and a part number please. I have one bad but can't find a replacement.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #14

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Where did you get the USB outlet and a part number please. I have one bad but can't find a replacement.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQJPJMB...roduct_details

It's round, but it works fine!

Old 10-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Thank you! I am ordering one totay.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #16

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Thank you! I am ordering one totay.
I have actually ordered two of these. The forst one I used to add a set of ports to the bunk above the cab. I just tapped off of one that was by the sofa. I just drilled a hole in the cup holder plate and installed it there.

The other one was to replace a rectangle port that never worked from the beginning.