Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 01:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Question Fading Gelcoat, Testing the Process

Question: I need to start off slow and work my way back into a lot of what it takes to cut an polish correctly.

Is there a buffer out there that is variable speed that'll let you lock the rpm where you're comfortable. I read so many reviews on buffers, my eyes are bleeding. I'd like to hear from one of you.

Background: After trying to work the problem by hand, none of it lasted. Some of it didn't even work. I'm not kidding myself this will either but test results are promising.

I bit the bullet and picked up a cheap drill polishing kit from Harbor Freight to see if a machine cut and polish would work. I learned I've long lost much of the touch and will have to work my way back but it cut through the down-stains and faded gelcoat without cutting all the way through or jeopardizing the 'paint'.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:43 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Question: I need to start off slow and work my way back into a lot of what it takes to cut an polish correctly.

Is there a buffer out there that is variable speed that'll let you lock the rpm where you're comfortable. I read so many reviews on buffers, my eyes are bleeding. I'd like to hear from one of you.

Background: After trying to work the problem by hand, none of it lasted. Some of it didn't even work. I'm not kidding myself this will either but test results are promising.

I bit the bullet and picked up a cheap drill polishing kit from Harbor Freight to see if a machine cut and polish would work. I learned I've long lost much of the touch and will have to work my way back but it cut through the down-stains and faded gelcoat without cutting all the way through or jeopardizing the 'paint'.
I really like the Griot's Garage G21 BOSS. Not cheap but you will be happy with it.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I really like the Griot's Garage G21 BOSS. Not cheap but you will be happy with it.
Especially when you use the Gelcoat Restorer made by McGuire's.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Especially when you use the Gelcoat Restorer made by McGuire's.
Thanks.Looking into it. It's a long throw orbital. How does it feel in your hand? What feedback do you get as the pad starts to dry?