Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Water Heater dripping thru release valve

Okay,
I tried to search this one and could not find an earlier posting. So, I think I have a new problem/concern. This past outing when the water heater was turned on (once with gas, once with electric) I noted a small drip coming on the outside of the RV from under the cover for the water heater. When I opened the cover a slow drip was coming from the release valve.
My question is this something that I need to take in to be reviewed or something that a simple (with no heat/pressure) release and flush/clean of the valve take care of?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Could be some crud on the valve seat not allowing it to seat properly. Once cool open the relief valve and flush the valve seat thoroughly. If it still leaks then a new relief valve could be in order.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

THOR #2142
I was wondering if it may be a one use, once deployed it's ruined piece of plumbing. I figured that may be the problem and we have a weekend camping planned so I guess I'll give it a check tonight.
Thanks.

Doc

Old 08-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
No they're not one use, I open mine when I empty the tank, empties a lot faster. Like Yvonn said, after its cool open a hot water faucet to relieve the pressure on the tank. Open and close the valve several times with the lever on top letting it slam shut with the spring, hopefully it will knock off any crud on the seat. Pressure the system again and see if the leak stopped.

If you still have a leak the seat is probably bad, carefully unscrew the valve from the tank, go to a hardware store and get a replacement. Put pipe dope on the threads and screw the valve in until its tight, check again, but you should be good to go.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I have same issue intermittently. I read in atwwod literature that tank airspace needs to be replenished periodically. Is worth reading before doing anything else. I changed my thermostat thinking it was overheating.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

THOR #2142
SuperD and Muggs,

Good to know. I'll read then flush.
Doc