Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2023, 04:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 23TW
State: California
THOR #29605
Back-up camera in rear view mirror doesn’t work

Hi, folks. We just bought a used 2022 Compass 23TW today and the previous owner added stand-alone back-up camera when the mirror camera stopped working. The dealership said the PO found it to be too costly to repair. Am Incorrect that it’s a Thor accessory and not from Ford? Does anyone have any tips or an idea on what it would cost to replace? I’d like to get rid of the clunky replacement stuck to the windshield with a suction cup!

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2023, 03:18 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura911 View Post
Hi, folks. We just bought a used 2022 Compass 23TW today and the previous owner added stand-alone back-up camera when the mirror camera stopped working. The dealership said the PO found it to be too costly to repair. Am Incorrect that it’s a Thor accessory and not from Ford? Does anyone have any tips or an idea on what it would cost to replace? I’d like to get rid of the clunky replacement stuck to the windshield with a suction cup!

Thanks!
All kinds of vehicle rear view mirror monitors are available on Amazon, Walmart and others. Just pick the resolution that matches your installed camera for the best and brightest display. I prefer a dash mound 9" monitor for the rear view camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0807_091052AA.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	41868  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #3

THOR #29605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
All kinds of vehicle rear view mirror monitors are available on Amazon, Walmart and others. Just pick the resolution that matches your installed camera for the best and brightest display. I prefer a dash mound 9" monitor for the rear view camera.
Thanks for the suggestion, but before I go that route, I’d like to rule out the original equipment solutioon.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:11 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura911 View Post

Thanks!
It could be one of three things.

1. The camera has failed. That is a relatively simple fix just replace the camera with a compatible replacement.

2. The OE monitor has failed assuming it is also the radio and the radio still plays music (you would know exactly where the problem is if the radio was totally dead)

3. A connection or power problem to the camera. This could be a simple thing like an INLINE fuse or a disconnected power connection. This should be the first thing to check. Is there power to the camera when it should be on? Then if there is power is the camera still connected to the radio.

The most expensive thing on my list besides the labor is the radio if it should need to be replaced. The problem with all these is finding the actual fault. On a 2022 model that should have been covered under warranty. So, I don't get why there would have been a cost consideration. In fact I would check to see if any of the warrantee is still in effect. This is something your dealer should have fixed before the sale to you.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:24 AM   #5

THOR #29605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
It could be one of three things.

1. The camera has failed. That is a relatively simple fix just replace the camera with a compatible replacement.

2. The OE monitor has failed assuming it is also the radio and the radio still plays music (you would know exactly where the problem is if the radio was totally dead)

3. A connection or power problem to the camera. This could be a simple thing like an INLINE fuse or a disconnected power connection. This should be the first thing to check. Is there power to the camera when it should be on? Then if there is power is the camera still connected to the radio.

The most expensive thing on my list besides the labor is the radio if it should need to be replaced. The problem with all these is finding the actual fault. On a 2022 model that should have been covered under warranty. So, I don't get why there would have been a cost consideration. In fact I would check to see if any of the warrantee is still in effect. This is something your dealer should have fixed before the sale to you.
The warranty did not carry over. Fortunately, the backup camera displays in the rear view mirror, not the radio, so it should be fairly simple to figure out.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:54 AM   #6

THOR #29605
After further study, I’ll be adding a new, 4-camera wired system with monitor and ditching the mirror.