Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #14493
Backup Camera Failure

Since I bought my 2018 Thor 24FS class C camper the backup camera has blipped on and off. I have removed my Axxera AV615BHM radio which has the backup camera's screen. When the screen shows radio things it always works properly. I thought I found radio wires that had loosened but this didn't fix it. I also removed the camera at the back and saw nothing wrong with the camera wires. What is likely to be the cause of my problem? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #2

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Are you sure it's not the wiring? My dash cam did that when it was on - faulty wiring. Also, is there perhaps an alternate channel where the camera will still work? Sometimes there is, and switching it might solve your problem.
GVP
Old 08-19-2020, 12:43 AM   #3

THOR #14493
Wiring...?

I looked at all the wiring around the radio and the camera. I wiggled the wires and at first I thought I had found the problem but that didn't really fix anything. The fact that the radio's non-camera images seem fine suggests to me that the radio isn't the problem. At the camera there's less than a foot of wiring to examine. It looks ok. Now obviously there's a lot of wiring between the radio and the camera, but I have no idea of its route. If I knew where to look I would examine that wiring too. Also perhaps the camera could be the problem.

Also what you said about some other setting is lost on me. What are you referring to?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I had 2 Axxerras in the Challenger replaced under warranty because of internal circuit wiring issues.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:16 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Same Here

Can not offer insights other then to say that my 2017 radio has same issues. Back up camera works off and on with no obvious wiring issues. Not sure what to do now that it is out of warranty. Might just upgrade to a better unit and hope that takes care of the issue. I do not like the Axxerra unit anyway.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #6

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I looked at all the wiring around the radio and the camera. I wiggled the wires and at first I thought I had found the problem but that didn't really fix anything. The fact that the radio's non-camera images seem fine suggests to me that the radio isn't the problem. At the camera there's less than a foot of wiring to examine. It looks ok. Now obviously there's a lot of wiring between the radio and the camera, but I have no idea of its route. If I knew where to look I would examine that wiring too. Also perhaps the camera could be the problem.

Also what you said about some other setting is lost on me. What are you referring to?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Drew,
Some camera setups work on more than one channel within the unit. Mine has 3 different channels and is currently set to Channel 2. If yours has multiple channels, try switching to a different one to see if that helps.
GVP
Old 08-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #7

THOR #14493
Thanks, but I have no idea if my Axxera AV615BHM has multiple ways for my rear camera to access it. Does anyone know about this?
Old 08-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks, but I have no idea if my Axxera AV615BHM has multiple ways for my rear camera to access it. Does anyone know about this?
Pretty sure your radio only has a single AV input.

When you say it "blips on and off", is that when you are in reverse? or does it also do it when you have it in camera mode while traveling?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think I know what happened to it.
It committed suicide!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1597840735
Attached Images

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #10

THOR #14493
I believe that my camera on the radio goes on and off if I'm in reverse or just driving forward with the camera on. I'm not 100% sure about this so I will confirm this tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #11

THOR #14493
The rear view camera blinks on and off when I'm in reverse AND when I have the camera on, driving forward.

I've looked at rear view "wireless" cameras and screens for sale for as little as a bit over $100. Of course the camera and the screen both need 12 volts. My present rear camera has only two wires going to it and it's occurred to me that maybe it radios its image and just uses the two wires to power itself. Is there any possibility that this is true? And in any case how does my rear camera get power and send its image?

I really appreciate all the help that's been directed to me. Thanks
Old 08-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #12

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I discovered that when my grandson plugged his iphone into the usb charging port and started streaming on his phone, my rearview function on the Axxera blips and develops weak signal/interference lines across the screen.
You might want to check on what items you have connected into your 12V / USB outlets.

We did not experience this same interference using a plugged in Android phone.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #7188
Loose connections

Under the dash near the radio, the AV wire has a RCA type connection. Mine had a yellow grip/insulator. This is a real finicky connection. Every time I've had back-up camera failures, messing with this one plug stopped the problem... for a while. I've used dielectric grease and bent the plug's tangs to make a more positive connection, but it seems temporary. I'd try there first.
How are the side cameras working?
Old 08-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #14

THOR #14493
I've played with the camera connections to the radio and as I said, it seemed as if those connections you mentioned fixed the problem when I made sure they were pushed together and taped to make sure they couldn't pull apart. But none of this fixed the problem for very long.

Do you think that connection is the total problem? What about taking these connections out and soldering the wires together?
Old 08-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #15

Model: 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9713
Find the video control box prior to the radio, switch one of your side mirror cameras with the rear view cable, and troubleshoot using this method. Most likely a cable or connection. Mine was a damaged rca plug exiting the box( poor installation)resulting in no cameras. Replaced the cable all good. Then the backup camera stopped, faulty connection at the camera, pushed connector together firmly, taped together and used heat shrink tubing to hold this together. So far so good.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #16

THOR #14493
Thanks. My rig only has a rear view camera--- no side cameras. I will again try to determine if all those connectors are causing all my problems.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #7188
Cutting out RCA connectors might be a bad idea

Perhaps vibration is what is compromising the RCA connections.
Cutting the RCA plugs out and directly soldering might be a bad idea because these audio visual cables have a center conductor and a "shield" around that which serves as a ground and a guard from outside radio interference. 'Not sure how the shield part would be soldered. Maybe it needs a different type AV connector..... you electronic types want to jump in here?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #18

THOR #10133
if there not aware of this crappie av system there dumb

My 2017 29M did the same thing. I called the manufacture and they sent me a new box with a complete different wiring system. It now works fine but the quality of the av picture is awful and sun or light makes it more dangerous. iam ok with it i installed a sensor to shock me if i backup without looking Just Kidding. I went to the local RV store as was shocked at how expensive a so called good system cost. Iam just not going to change it out.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #19

THOR #14493
Thanks for your response.

I know that RV/auto backup cameras are expensive, but I went on line and found independent cameras and screens for a bit over $100. These radio the image and only need 12 volts for the camera and the screen. I think I may choose this course unless I can actually determine it the wires to the radio/screen are problem. And I've had the radio/screen out of it's installation about 5 times.........
Old 08-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #20

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
Wireless rear view camera alternative

Quote:
Thanks for your response.

I know that RV/auto backup cameras are expensive, but I went on line and found independent cameras and screens for a bit over $100. These radio the image and only need 12 volts for the camera and the screen. I think I may choose this course unless I can actually determine it the wires to the radio/screen are problem. And I've had the radio/screen out of it's installation about 5 times.........
You will still need a 12V power source for both the monitor and the camera. I bought one of these for a previous Class C and connected the camera to the running lights bulb/wire at the taillights instead of the backup lights/wire. That way, I had a rear view camera instead of just a back up camera.
JC