Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourwinds View Post
My 2015 Thor Fourwinds Super C with 11,000mi is in the shop and I almost had heart failure. I had a check engine light come on returning from an outing. Took it to local Ford dealer who specializes in RV repair.

Was told ejector was bad, covered under warranty, no problem, they got it right in and fixed it. Went on another weekend adventure same check light coming home. Took it back, was told another ejector was bad and they found rust in my fuel tanks

THEN...... was told to clean tanks and entire fuel system and replace ejector it would be i the neighborhood of $12,000!! Yes that is the correct number of zeros. I told them no way I would be over to get it. All they did was do a diagnostic for check light and fuel sample out of each tank...$500

I took it home, on the way it shut off going down the road but I went to neutral and it instantly restarted and I drove on. I changed the fuel filters myself and found absolutly clear fuel and no foreign material in the primary filter. Im so confused, have an appointment at local diesel machanic to get another opinion.
I work on diesels everyday as my job and I'm not arguing with anybody but the purpose of the fuel water separator is just that it shouldn't be allowing any water into the fuel system period.
So I have seen recently a lot of vehicles including gas engines as it happened to a co worker who filled there car up and it quit running about 100 ft from gas station,and found out that there was water in the fuel and about 30 other people had the same issue the supplier for that station ended up paying for all those repairs because the water came from the fuel delivery truck, If you can go back to the station where you last fueled and see if they had a water issue.

Also not a fan of maxforce engines as it earlier version and the Duramax that gmc runs were having a lot of injector issue's so I would do some online checking for complaints about injectors on these engine before you fork out a lot of money for repairs and of course maxforce will not tell you this as like the earlier engine had egr cooler problems where coolant would leak out of the egr cooler into the exhaust and destroyed the dpf filters.
But I have access to maxforce dealership info and tech issue's and I will look to see if they have any thing to say and post it here.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:42 AM   #22

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
I work on diesels everyday as my job and I'm not arguing with anybody but the purpose of the fuel water separator is just that it shouldn't be allowing any water into the fuel system period.
So I have seen recently a lot of vehicles including gas engines as it happened to a co worker who filled there car up and it quit running about 100 ft from gas station,and found out that there was water in the fuel and about 30 other people had the same issue the supplier for that station ended up paying for all those repairs because the water came from the fuel delivery truck, If you can go back to the station where you last fueled and see if they had a water issue.

Also not a fan of maxforce engines as it earlier version and the Duramax that gmc runs were having a lot of injector issue's so I would do some online checking for complaints about injectors on these engine before you fork out a lot of money for repairs and of course maxforce will not tell you this as like the earlier engine had egr cooler problems where coolant would leak out of the egr cooler into the exhaust and destroyed the dpf filters.
But I have access to maxforce dealership info and tech issue's and I will look to see if they have any thing to say and post it here.
Can you get me the last 6 digits of the vin number as Navistar uses that as there chassis number for info and parts on that exact engine.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:18 AM   #23

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I wonder if Mercedes treats these issues in a similar fashion?
----------------------------------------
It is a serious problem with any high pressure diesel injectors. . Discussion here goes into procedure to follow if you get a WIF light in your Sprinter. It's rare but certainly something to be prepared for. Know how to drain water from the fuel filter and do not run the engine if the light returns.. That expensive filter should be changed annually, and it's not really a DIY.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45217
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 AM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Can you get me the last 6 digits of the vin number as Navistar uses that as there chassis number for info and parts on that exact engine.
The Super C is a Ford 550 chassis, not IHC.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:46 AM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
----------------------------------------
It is a serious problem with any high pressure diesel injectors. . Discussion here goes into procedure to follow if you get a WIF light in your Sprinter. It's rare but certainly something to be prepared for. Know how to drain water from the fuel filter and do not run the engine if the light returns.. That expensive filter should be changed annually, and it's not really a DIY.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45217
Wow! That's a lot to digest; but thanks!
Old 04-04-2019, 01:48 AM   #26

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Mercedes response same as Ford..
Another Sprinter post "replace fuel system with rust in the fuel"
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ust+fuel+lines
Bob- Know what to do but don't expect it. Try to refuel at stations with large turn over. (fresh fuel) Check your filters when replaced..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Here's the catch: I live in the middle of nowhere.
I guess that I should ask some of the locals where they get their diesel...
Old 04-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #28

THOR #11130
Not really much to be alarmed about. API has very strict protocol for fuel handling. Most commercial dispensers have separators on them already. Retailers are required (Dept of Agriculture) to check for water in underground tanks several times a week (physically stick tanks with 'water paste' for inventory purposes and accurate delivery receipts), etc. These results must be kept on file at the retail dispensing location. The chances of getting enough water to bypass the chassis filter setup is slim to none. The Ford chassis filter will handle up to 6.7 ounces of water before it bypasses to the fuel rails and injectors, if not drained. Normal draining will handle the normal but minimal amounts you get occasionally. It would take a nearly straight shot of water coming from the pump to cause an issue. I think this is what happened here.

Stick with high volume stations and never fuel if there's a bulk delivery going on while you're there. Trash on the bottom of tanks stirs up during the delivery process. Water will separate and go to the bottom after a little while, as fuel is lighter than water. Water accumulated is pumped out of tanks regularly...on all products...it's normal...you just never see them doing it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks! I'll be able to sleep better: while I'm at work today...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #30

Model: Fourwind Super C
THOR #11938
I will repost with an update after I get the coach fixed as to what was found etc... and why the water indicator in the primary filter did no give a warning. Thanks for all the info. Im partial to diesel coaches,thats why I bought one, as I have seen many over the road trucks, farm equipment ,etc... run for ever. I pull my car behind our coach and the diesel pulled it so efficiently I didnt even know it was there. But...gas coach might be back in the future after all this
Old 04-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #31

THOR #11130
Quote:
I will repost with an update after I get the coach fixed as to what was found etc... and why the water indicator in the primary filter did no give a warning. Thanks for all the info. Im partial to diesel coaches,thats why I bought one, as I have seen many over the road trucks, farm equipment ,etc... run for ever. I pull my car behind our coach and the diesel pulled it so efficiently I didnt even know it was there. But...gas coach might be back in the future after all this

Nah...once you've experienced a diesel...you'll never go back!! You've never be happy with anything else. Interested to hear the outcome. Have you contacted insurance just to make them aware? I would...not so much start a claim yet, but keep them in the loop...JIC.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #32

THOR #11938
Yes the insurance is involved, they will inspect the tear down next week. After speaking with a different mechanic, he explained that it is common if water gets through the system, the water warning on the filter is very slow on indication, and the water causes the pump to start to disintegrate and places metal shavings through out the fuel system. This requires a complete replacement of the fuel system. It does appear it is in the $10,000 range of repair and most insurances have covered it. In other words Fords system is faulty in water detection quick enough to eliminate pump failure so they wont warranty it because they have stated its a "fuel contamination" issue. Not surprisingly my extended service agreement is also aware of this issue and its excluded under coverage "if its a fuel contamination issue" imagine that. So I would be very diligent on draining and or changing filters often from now on, and buying fuel from a station that has a quality filter system and moves their fuel often(high sales) such as a truck stop. (and I hate those due to higher cost than local stations, but I guess I will have to change.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #33

THOR #11130
Sounds like you have your arms around it tightly. I hate truck stops and rarely use them. I will use the ones that have RV islands or diesel up front with gas pumps. There are tons of high volume convenience stores (QT, Raceway, Racetrack, etc.) that carry diesel. I have had no trouble finding them everywhere. Also, many of the Flying J type truck stops, are RV friendly.

Moving forward...I'll probably be purchasing this very soon. Seems recent changes to the Ford high pressure system has left's its panties down on quality filtration. your issue has lead me to read tons on this "silent problem" and the running profile (sitting for weeks on end) of a MH sure leaves us vulnerable to moisture problems with diesel...especially on the newer 6.7's. The link brings us to 2016 but newer versions of the filter system are out now. It's a great visual by just looking under the truck as it mounts on the frame.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...SABEgLjCfD_BwE
Old 04-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I didn't see anything on their website about Mercedes engines...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #35

THOR #11938
Yep I was going to ask about adding a separator upon this fix and pay for it. I hate it but sure dont need this again. Thanks for the link!
Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #36

THOR #11130
Quote:
Yep I was going to ask about adding a separator upon this fix and pay for it. I hate it but sure dont need this again. Thanks for the link!

Interestingly enough, I found that Ford made a major change to the fuel filter system and water drain capability in the 2017 model year as outlined in the attached link. The video in Post# 14 shows it in detail. There is also a 2nd filter under the hood. Mine is a 2017 so I have the new system. This is proof positive that Ford KNEW they had a serious issue with 11-16 model years. The new system has an easy to reach drain system and looks like a much larger reservoir for water buildup. I'll be crawling under her this weekend. The video is a tad long for me but very informative. It's amazing how public this problem is but you never hear anything bout it until it bites you!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...el-filter.html
Old 04-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #37

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
THOR #14439
Sounds like a bad throttle body..... Just my 2 C.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #38

THOR #11130
Fourwinds...what was the outcome of your fuel issue?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #39

THOR #11938
No word yet, still in shop this week. Waiting to hear from them and insurance
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #40

THOR #11938
Follow up

Quote:
My 2015 Thor Fourwinds Super C with 11,000mi is in the shop and I almost had heart failure. I had a check engine light come on returning from an outing. Took it to local Ford dealer who specializes in RV repair.

Was told ejector was bad, covered under warranty, no problem, they got it right in and fixed it. Went on another weekend adventure same check light coming home. Took it back, was told another ejector was bad and they found rust in my fuel tanks

THEN...... was told to clean tanks and entire fuel system and replace ejector it would be i the neighborhood of $12,000!! Yes that is the correct number of zeros. I told them no way I would be over to get it. All they did was do a diagnostic for check light and fuel sample out of each tank...$500

I took it home, on the way it shut off going down the road but I went to neutral and it instantly restarted and I drove on. I changed the fuel filters myself and found absolutly clear fuel and no foreign material in the primary filter. Im so confused, have an appointment at local diesel machanic to get another opinion.
Well after inspection by my (current)insurance provider, I was advised that since this happened under coverage of a prior insurance carrier ( had just switched two weeks prior due to a better quote for the year) they should be the ones who should cover this. Yea.. I know how hard they would laugh when I make that call.... so I will be eating a $9000 repair bill for complete fuel system replacement due to "contamination" in other words Ford has washed their hands of their manufacturing flaw of the fuel filtering system. I have learned that after my model year (2015) they had upgraded the filter system but are not offering that to prior years even to help stop this from possibly happening if it hasn't yet. SO big thank you Ford for your "Better Ideas" and taking care of your customers spending big money on your products.