Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 23h
State: New York
THOR #13693
Bathroom GFI

I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler. I am having issues with my generator/bathroom GFI. When I run my generator it occasionally trips the GFI in the bathroom (rendering the other outlets useless). It can be when nothing is on, or when I'm exercising the gen, or when I'm camping. I have had the GFI replaced 3 times at the camper repair shop. The first repair shop gave up trying to find out what is going on and sent me to the Cummins gen shop. They had it for 2 days running and said it was tripping, but it was not because of the generator.
So I took it to a different camper repair shop. They could not find the reason why and told me to come pick it up. Even though it was tripping for them as well. (And they replaced the GFI.) I'm out of places to take it. Any recommendations?

Old 11-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Most of the small generators (all?) do not bond the green ground wire to the white neutral wire. So much easier for the GFI to trip. A solution to that is to get a repair plug and hook the ground terminal to the neutral terminal. Then plug it into one of the unused 120 Volt sockets on the generator. This makes the system more like what you have in your house. I think but not sure the ONAN generators do bond the two terminals.

Yes I have done this for my Honda 2000 generators in the past but no longer use them since the coach has a 10KW generator in place.

camperguy99
Old 11-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #3

THOR #13693
So this will work with a Cummins onboard gen?
Old 11-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinez View Post
So this will work with a Cummins onboard gen?
No, ignore that post - it does not apply to your Outlaw with the onboard Onan generator.

The GFCI receptacle is just the beginning of a line of receptacles protected by the GFCI function. Since the GFCI receptacle has been replace numerous times you can probably safely say that is not the problem.
Since this only occurs when your generator is running it is probably a poor connection on one of the downstream receptacles. I'd disconnect the downstream receptacles from the GFCI receptacle to verify that, then start looking at/replacing the downstream receptacles.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No, ignore that post - it does not apply to your Outlaw with the onboard Onan generator.

The GFCI receptacle is just the beginning of a line of receptacles protected by the GFCI function. Since the GFCI receptacle has been replace numerous times you can probably safely say that is not the problem.
Since this only occurs when your generator is running it is probably a poor connection on one of the downstream receptacles. I'd disconnect the downstream receptacles from the GFCI receptacle to verify that, then start looking at/replacing the downstream receptacles.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
Most of the small generators (all?) do not bond the green ground wire to the white neutral wire. So much easier for the GFI to trip. A solution to that is to get a repair plug and hook the ground terminal to the neutral terminal. Then plug it into one of the unused 120 Volt sockets on the generator. This makes the system more like what you have in your house. I think but not sure the ONAN generators do bond the two terminals.

Yes I have done this for my Honda 2000 generators in the past but no longer use them since the coach has a 10KW generator in place.

camperguy99
Definitely don't do this.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Had issues in my 29h. I found that the outside receptical had moisture in it. Replaced it and resealed the cover and that fixed it.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:56 AM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Had issues in my 29h. I found that the outside receptical had moisture in it. Replaced it and resealed the cover and that fixed it.
That’s a common issue in wet locations
However, in this thread the way it’s described it only happens with generator on

Very odd
But as previously suggested, start by disconnecting all the down-stream outlets
Work backwards
Old 11-14-2020, 01:08 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
There's always a desire to throw the GFCI "troublemaker",in the trash, and pop in a "regular" outlet...
Why is that a bad idea?
Old 11-14-2020, 04:37 AM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
There's always a desire to throw the GFCI "troublemaker",in the trash, and pop in a "regular" outlet...
Why is that a bad idea?
Because it does not provide Personal protection. If you did not use any electric device in the bathroom you would not need a GFI. No electric razor, no electric toothbrush, no hairdryer, See where I'm going?
Old 11-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
(I was fishing for someone to say that...)
Old 11-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #12

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Kentucky
THOR #19233
Buster1

This is my first reply so pardon if it doesn’t work correctly.

I wanted to add to this post since I recently had a similar issue with my 2016 Thor Compass 23TR. The GFCI started tripping in the bathroom and of course it disabled the other outlets. I found the neutral wiring in the power distribution box had come loose (or had never been tightened properly) and the heat had warped the corner of the plastic box. I replaced the connection strip and removed the damaged wiring and everything has worked great since.

I enjoy the forum. Lots of useful info.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for adding your experience to the thread, and welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #14

THOR #13693
Thank you everyone!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #15

THOR #13693
Quick question. Distribution box is where all the breakers are? Where would the neutral wire be?
Old 11-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
White wires are neutrals. Distribution box contains 120 volt breakers. 12 volt fuses. And the converter.
Quote:
Quick question. Distribution box is where all the breakers are? Where would the neutral wire be?
Old 11-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #17

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Kentucky
THOR #19233
My Compass has the WF8955 converter and the neutral wires and terminations are in the upper left corner as you face the front of the converter. You have to remove the face plate by loosening the two screws at the top. If that is the problem you will spot the heat damage from loose connections.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2020, 01:16 AM   #18

THOR #13693
thanks all!
Old 12-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #19

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
thanks all!
I have the same problem with my 2018 37rb class a . when I turn the generator on the bathroom GFI usually trips. Not always but sometimes. I just push the button and reset it and everything's fine once the generator is running
Old 12-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 32a
State: Washington
THOR #18907
GFCI's generally require you press the reset once they loose power, which essentially happens when you disconnect shore power to travel, etc.
If the problem only exists under generator power, start at the breaker box /transfer switch where thew two power sources meet the coach wiring system. The generator likely has a poor connection on the neutral / white wire.
If nothing there, I would check your output voltage of the generator. You will need a basic voltage tester that you can plug into a receptacle while the generator is running. You should have somewhere around 114-125 volts. most dumb appliances such as a coffee pot, lamp or cell phone charger wont notice a variation, but the GFCI has circuitry that could sense a low or high, "out of range" voltage and will trip.
This will indicate a faulty voltage regulator on the generator.

I expect if there are problems with wet or damaged receptacles downstream from the gfci, it would trip from both power supplies, not just the generator.

Happy hunting.
Rod