Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Help Please with Fuse - Trailer Connecton

This started with wanting to add a charge line to our towed vehicle via the Blue Ox electrical cable. The initial cable was worn and in need of replacement. So I purchased a new one. WOW - found out how my initial installers had "made it work". I won't go into all the details but suffice it to say there was a dead short wired into the harness when used with the standard wiring harness. After a number of hours of using a meter, connecting and disconnecting the harness cable; I once again have a working cable.

In the process though, a fuse for the line labeled 12v POWER on the cable was blown (thank you to my crack installer team). I attached a 3 pics/wiring harnesses:

1. The Blue Ox Wiring layout for cable.
2. Thor wiring harness diagram with the line labeled "BATTERY CHARGE FEED". highlighted.
3. Loom Harness Diagram

Here is where I need some help. Under the section labeled "Fuse Locations", the BATTERY CHARGE lead apparently runs back to the front of the coach. on the diagram labeled as "charge line--black--switched ignition--firewall 30amp in-line fuse". I have spent a couple of hours searching for this fuse. HELP - anyone have any experience with the location of this fuse.

(Note: For the first time ever, beyond providing the diagram, Thor Techs have been zero help - should have come here first I guess.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Ox 6 -7 connector wiring.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	10355   Click image for larger version

Name:	HighlightedHarness.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	10357  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf tailight.pdf (102.5 KB, 67 views)

Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
having had a lot of trailers and and lots of mile pulling, the battery charge lead back to the trailer has always been a trouble some, never did find a real solution. some times works, most time not.

and it can got he other way also, if the trailer battery is less than perfect, it will drain the tow vehicle battery to dead and very fast to. so just charge the battery on the trailer, and don't worry about the charge lead
Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

THOR #1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
having had a lot of trailers and and lots of mile pulling, the battery charge lead back to the trailer has always been a trouble some, never did find a real solution. some times works, most time not.

and it can got he other way also, if the trailer battery is less than perfect, it will drain the tow vehicle battery to dead and very fast to. so just charge the battery on the trailer, and don't worry about the charge lead
Before i decide to add the charging lead, I did some homework to prevent exactly the issue pointed out. I purchased a lead specifically designed for my purpose with a diode to prevent the wrong way draining. Now all I need to do is find the darn fuse.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:20 AM   #4

THOR #1020
Update: So I wasn't feeling much love form Thor Tech Support in getting some help to find the "in line fuse". Kinda ran into a "huh" from a call and gave up as I found a work around. Two weeks later I get a call from Thor Tech Support -aka Dan. We talked for several minutes and Dan said he was going to talk with the floor folks. Came back a couple of times updating me on his progress. Low and behold they ran the answer into a corner with a specific results.

Huge thanks again to Thor Tech Support for help fix a nagging problem.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #4818
And The Answer Is?

So where was it? I'm running into the same issue on my Palazzo ...

I switched from dolly to four down recently and would have sworn that the center post was hot all the time, but it isn't now ...
Old 09-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
There is afuse box with the 30amp fuse on my hurricane 31s its located on the firewall down by drivers left foot see diagram I believe its fuse F5

Richard

[IMG][/IMG]
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #4818
Thank you Sir! As it turns out my fuse was not blown, I was simply expecting 12 volts on a different pin. Once I figured out the right pin and rewired the the toad side, my charger is working as it should ...

Thanks again!

GR
Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote