Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
How do you get a service appoinment???

A few months ago I purchased this brand new Axis (as some of you have read regarding immediate repairs needed). While I was making my own required updates and repairs, I was waiting for list of warranty items to arrive at the dealership that were supposedly ordered during the PDI.

The sales manager, Dave Kinion(sp), advised us that we would get a call when all the parts were in, and they'd come pick it up at my house (an agreement made as part of the transaction). When I realized how many things were in need of attention, I started making repairs myself.
But, then I noticed that the cab AC doesn't work.

Judging by their PDI repairs prior to purchase (crappy silicone job in the shower, failed to fix underside bed clips, didnt even check any of the water circuits etc...), I asked Dave if I could do the repairs myself. He said sure, since he doubted he'd get enough hours from Thor to fix (but this is before I noticed that the cab AC doesn't work, which they'll have to fix).

So, a couple weeks ago, I get a text saying that if I dont pick up my parts, they'll be sent back. So, I go General RV to pick the parts up.

The parts girl looks at me like I had 3 eyeballs, saying they dont allow customers to do warranty work, and that they need the old parts before handing over the new parts, BUT, they still insisted on making a warranty service appt.

I meet with Garrett in service to go over the current list of parts, along with some others, i.e. warped heater vent cover, cab AC not working, a few LED lights out on the LED strip above the bed, a few LED running lights etc... He said he'd get back to me with info.

I've heard nothing for weeks, so I called General RV a couple days ago to find out why I haven't been called. They tell me that Garrett is no longer employed there, so I was forgotten. Did no one pick up his case files???

I then speak to another service member (nice kid), explained my situation of being MORE THAN DISPLEASED about the whole General RV of Jacksonville experience. He was almost speechless about the list of warranty items ordered (and not-yet-ordered so far) and said he'd get back to me asap.

<crickets>

It's already too much that WE ALL have to make shock, sway bar, steering stabilizer updates, so forgive me for being pis$$ed off at this dealership's complete lack of attention to customer service. I'm still pi$$ed at the salesman for telling my wife and I that the AXIS 25.2 rear bed can be folded down while in motion. That was a complete lie, to make a sale...

After the purchase, during the PDI, we're told by the PDI guy that it's okay to drive with the rear slide out. I asked him if that was sanctioned by Thor, he said "yes". My wife and I knew he was full of it, but the gall he had to say it almost left me speechless.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I guess binge-calling General RV corporate is my next step...

Old 02-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
We never sign papers or hand over money until the RV passes our PDI. You are then the Prince in the sales department and they will bow to your wishes.
Once the RV is in your hands you become the bastard stepchild of the service department.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
New Axis Owner,
I have had similar situations when our rig was under one year old and we had to go to our local RV dealer where the purchase took place. You should go directly to the service manager now and get a record of everything you say and who you contact via email. I had to get a new hood for ours since it was cracking in the corners. I was notified by Thor that the hood had been shipped to the dealer and when it got there. Contacted the dealer and they didn't have a clue. Finally sent the email from Thor to the service advisor.... they finally found the hood in the back of their service/parts area. Totally ridiculous. As I said, service manager and emails from the two ends so you can let them fight with each other. Its really sad but its the same old story.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
We never sign papers or hand over money until the RV passes our PDI. You are then the Prince in the sales department and they will bow to your wishes.
Once the RV is in your hands you become the bastard stepchild of the service department.
I tried that, until the sales manager told us that if we didn't sign, our "RV special of 4.9% financing offer would expire".

If General RV already didn't have my cabin cruiser trade-in in their lot, I'd have walked. My wife wanted the RV (or rather the concept of it). I'm just trying to make it road worthy...
Old 02-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #5

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
New Axis Owner,
I have had similar situations when our rig was under one year old and we had to go to our local RV dealer where the purchase took place. You should go directly to the service manager now and get a record of everything you say and who you contact via email. I had to get a new hood for ours since it was cracking in the corners. I was notified by Thor that the hood had been shipped to the dealer and when it got there. Contacted the dealer and they didn't have a clue. Finally sent the email from Thor to the service advisor.... they finally found the hood in the back of their service/parts area. Totally ridiculous. As I said, service manager and emails from the two ends so you can let them fight with each other. Its really sad but its the same old story.
Thanks, "Earl". My main concern is that the RV will be in RV limbo as Thor and Ford fight over who's fault the AC issue is. I'd think it's a Thor issue, since Thor customizes the wiring.

If I don't hear anything today, I'll start binge calling. Todays times are sad. I remember when a man's word and his handshake meant something...
Old 02-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well you do have another option but it means driving North for a bit but you'll get a lot (and I mean a lot) better service, response, and the unit will be fixed correctly.

I'm talking about factory service in Wakarusa, IN. Give Thor a call and tell them you want to take it to factory service. You'll set a date and that will be it and it will get fixed on that date (and however many days after that the fixes require).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
As an old boss of mine many years ago would often say...."do it and be done!" My experience at Wakarusa Service was excellent! They do it right...they're favorite saying is..."we didn't build it but we will fix it". I still have arm rest issues but that's a Ford issue they couldn't fix. It's a long trip for many but well worth it. Lots to do up there including the RV/MH Hall of Fame. Just make a road trip of it...enjoy the things along the way and drive home happy. Life is too short to get caught up in the worst link of this "fun chain"...dealer "no-service".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

THOR #13661
Thanks guys,

But it's mainly the AC issue now, as i can fix the rest myself. As I said before, I also care for my elderly parents (dad has Parkinsons), so my time is limited away from them.

Now you guys know why I'm so pi$$ed at the salesman for lying to my wife when she spoke to him on the phone to CONFIRM that the rear bed is down & sleepable during transportation (for my folks if needed). They knew the reason we wanted a full time bed, so lying to us in this manner really pokes this bear...

The Axis is basically useless to us as a family camper. Yes, I know we should have verified this, but when we ask the salesman several times about the rear bed, and he kept confirming it, we were just plain-ole duped. I will never buy from an RV show again...
Old 02-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
Thanks guys,

But it's mainly the AC issue now, as i can fix the rest myself. As I said before, I also care for my elderly parents (dad has Parkinsons), so my time is limited away from them.

Now you guys know why I'm so pi$$ed at the salesman for lying to my wife when she spoke to him on the phone to CONFIRM that the rear bed is down & sleepable during transportation (for my folks if needed). They knew the reason we wanted a full time bed, so lying to us in this manner really pokes this bear...

The Axis is basically useless to us as a family camper. Yes, I know we should have verified this, but when we ask the salesman several times about the rear bed, and he kept confirming it, we were just plain-ole duped. I will never buy from an RV show again...

Did you take delivery in person?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #10

THOR #13661
Yes, they had them waxed, and lined up for new owners. Yes, I should have checked, but we wrongfully ass-u-me-d that they wouldnt screw us. They did, and unless they redeem themselves to total satisfaction, I will make it my goal(s) in life to educate local RV buyers about General RV of Jacksonville and their tactics.

It's as simple as that...
Old 02-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Sorry for the troubles, but what you are experiencing is normal behavior for an RV dealership. It seems like nobody rides heard over RV dealerships in the US and us customers keep buying from them.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Call Thor Motorcoach Customer Service and ask if they can recommend a mobile RV tech in your area. After you find one, have him/her come by for an estimate and items to be replaced. Submit the estimate to Thor by e-mail and request they authorize the repair and to send the requested parts directly to you. After the parts arrive, schedule the RV repair tech to fix your coach. Pay him/her directly. Return the broken parts to Thor in the same box they shipped you the parts and e-mail the bill (showing it was paid by you in full) and include the authorization e-mail. Expect a full reimbursement in 4 to 6 weeks. You can usually (NOTE usually) get the same deal if the coach is out of warranty but the parts to be replaced are still under the original manufacturer's warranty. Sometime you will have to pay for shipping and the labor. It just depends who, when and how you talk to Thor Customer Service. As far Thor CS is concerned, they have never failed to help me for what I consider a reasonable request. Also, any dealer RV or RV repair place that has a Thor dealer account can service or repair your coach under warranty even though they do not sell your type of coach; but Thor MUST authorize it first.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #13

THOR #13661
Update -

On 2-11-19, I Received a call from Thor rep "Max", who was nice and had Paige from General RV call me to discuss the warranty issues. I immediately emailed Paige pictures of additional bad items (per her request).

On 2/17/19 I emailed her again to verify that she received my email. There has been no response, so today I left a message on her voicemail.

I have a feeling she's ignoring me because she made it a point to say that General RV does not pick up RV's for customers. I told her that the Sales Manager (Dave Kinion) and Finance guy (Matt Peters) were in the room with my wife and I when we all agreed that they would pick it up.

She again states that they do not come to customers residences. I replied, "You guys were sure quick to respond to my waterfront house and take custody of my cabin cruiser & trailer trade-in to the nearest boat ramp". <crickets>

Anyway, just needed to vent... Anyone want to buy an unused Axis? Dealing with General RV is worse than the thought of having weekly colorectal exams.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that this issue is not going away...

Weekly exams?!?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #15

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Service Appointment

NewAxisOwner,

Dump the telephone calls. Try your best to communicate in writing via emails only. Forward the promises you get from the people who have more authority to those they work for that are telling you that they won't do something. Usually, when they see something in writing, they won't be as willing to tell you "no". Don't give up now.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:55 AM   #16

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
NewAxisOwner,

Dump the telephone calls. Try your best to communicate in writing via emails only. Forward the promises you get from the people who have more authority to those they work for that are telling you that they won't do something. Usually, when they see something in writing, they won't be as willing to tell you "no". Don't give up now.
Thanks. You'd think Thor would be just as frustrated as me, or at least have some "pull" on the matter. General RV of Jacksonville seems to care less about customer service and a handshake. These guys are worse than..... drawing a blank.

Aside from a BBB complaint, have any Floridians gone this route? -

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/84901.pdf
Old 02-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #17

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
Thanks. You'd think Thor would be just as frustrated as me, or at least have some "pull" on the matter. General RV of Jacksonville seems to care less about customer service and a handshake. These guys are worse than..... drawing a blank.

Aside from a BBB complaint, have any Floridians gone this route? -

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/84901.pdf
As already mentioned, and I hate to confirm it but you are in the same boat with many people and it makes no difference who you bought it from. I am convinced they ALL lie their butts off to sell and then you are not wanted around again UNLESS you are buying hi dollar items from the super store. Your dealer is the very same as CW. I had to wait a FULL YEAR for a simple headlight elect plug. After weeks turned into months for this item (which was discovered on the walk around at delivery) I called and started showing up every couple weeks. I told them this is a simple plug that I or them could walk across the street to any auto parts store, buy and splice it in. I was told if I did this myself it would void the THOR warranty on the MH. POPPY COCK. They removed the plug at delivery and hard wired it to get me off the lot and I would not allow it to remain that way. The plug is there for ease of removing the headlight assembly if need be. I played the game to see how long it would take while I continued to drop in at times. There were several other issues that also took the year to have replaced. SOME are still not to my satisfaction but I'm done. They all walk the other way when I stop in for anything now. From the top manager to dept supervisors etc..
Bottom line, once again, you are right where you would have been if you had purchased from CW. They all stink.

My next move is to compose my letter and send it to the big dog that owns CW and others for his notice of poor customer support. I realize he will not care but it will give me satisfaction to let him know.

Good luck with yours.

PS: Just to add insult to injury, pull the wood off of your bed and take a look under there. Open any compartment and look there. You will find wood chips, electrical wire, wire nuts, sandwich wrappers and all other sorts of trash. They clean nothing. Yes, I hate that.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
My opinion is that there is really no government oversight when it comes to buying luxury items. And yes, RVs are luxury items, even the cheapest popup camper. The government figures that after being taxed we still have money to spend on these luxury items so they just leave us on our own. Until the government steps in and requires RV manufacturers and their dealer networks to actually stand behind the products they manufacture and sell we will have disgruntled consumers. Complaining to the BBB, while it feels good, has no effect on the industry. Writing letters to the president of a company also has no effect. The only way they will know we mean business is to stop buying their products and obviously we're not going to do that.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:01 AM   #19

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
Don’t waste your time traveling to Wakarusa for the factory service. They are no better than CW. The industry is a joke. I wish I never bought a Thor. Our life has been a living he__ since we bought it.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:31 AM   #20

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
My opinion is that there is really no government oversight when it comes to buying luxury items. And yes, RVs are luxury items, even the cheapest popup camper. The government figures that after being taxed we still have money to spend on these luxury items so they just leave us on our own. Until the government steps in and requires RV manufacturers and their dealer networks to actually stand behind the products they manufacture and sell we will have disgruntled consumers. Complaining to the BBB, while it feels good, has no effect on the industry. Writing letters to the president of a company also has no effect. The only way they will know we mean business is to stop buying their products and obviously we're not going to do that.
Lt.

I'm writing to President Trump to demand gov't interdiction. This is when being a Medal of Valor recipient (me), and Korean War Vet (father) w/Parkinsons, being thrown aside by General RV of Jacksonville has its advantages. Hopefully, he'll respond (along with my NTSB buddy's input).

Today was the last straw for me. Last week and today, I was blown off by "Patrick" (alleged service manager). I try to get him today several times and he fails to call me back, even fater being hand delivered a message to call me back.

And, this is weeks after "Paige" tells me that she's the one to make things happen.

Apparently, "Paige" was out with the flu today. What's her reason for not calling/emailing me back for 2 weeks?

Then today, "Patrick" flakes on me.

I don't think General RV of Jacksonville realizes that I only bought that 2018 AXIS to bring my elderly parents to various places. If my 87 year old dad passes away before going to some of his destination spots, due to GRV's willful inability fix my warranteed RV, I am going to do everything in my legal power to hold GRV accountable for their obvious disregard for customer service.

Not to mention picket General RV. You'd be amazed with what $50 bucks a picketer will get you (I have to research FL law)... Letters to local Investigative News Agencies are in process. Once I mail the letters off detailing my experience from Day1, I will be driving to General RV and chat with whoever is in charge. Not accepting my RV for warranty repair after 5 months is RIDICULOUS. I haven't even used it yet. Cab AC is very important. The Thor rep acknowledged their culpability for the AC issue. It's General RV's ineptness causing this.

It's a shame that there are others here also being shafted by the man... Not for long...