Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
Batteries go dead not charging

I had to replace the batteries in my 2017 Thor Quantam. I labeled the wiring just as it was connected on the old batteries. Now they won't charge and the coach is plugged into shore power. The in use switch is on because I am kind of living in the coach while wife is in ICU at the hospital. I have tried unplugging the coach and using the vehicle engine to recharge the batteries but they won't charge. Did I miss something while connecting the new batteries.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #15969
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker3030 View Post
I had to replace the batteries in my 2017 Thor Quantam. I labeled the wiring just as it was connected on the old batteries. Now they won't charge and the coach is plugged into shore power. The in use switch is on because I am kind of living in the coach while wife is in ICU at the hospital. I have tried unplugging the coach and using the vehicle engine to recharge the batteries but they won't charge. Did I miss something while connecting the new batteries.
It sounds like a converter problem. Check the manual and look for fuses or resets on the converter.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There is a main DC breaker that looks like this:

Frequently it trips (Flag extended) when replacing batteries. If tripped, push the flag back in.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:36 AM   #4

State: Illinois
THOR #12676
I had the same problem with 2019 30FE and found out that the charger was wired through the electrical breaker for my Hot Water Heater. I turned the breaker on for my Hot Water Heater and it started working again..
Old 07-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #5

THOR #13457
Does anyone have an idea as to where the breakers might be hidden. I have looked everywhere I can think of and have found no breakers to reset. The panel inside shows that the batteries are fully charged. When I turn on the inverter, it shows oo.o for charge on the batteries.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:06 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Does anyone have an idea as to where the breakers might be hidden. I have looked everywhere I can think of and have found no breakers to reset. The panel inside shows that the batteries are fully charged. When I turn on the inverter, it shows oo.o for charge on the batteries.
Mine are under the bed.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:06 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Mine are under the bed.
The more I read this post I’m thinking your batteries ( 2 - 6 V ) are not grounded correctly. It’s hard to believe that there is an issue. The RV is newer and yes leave your shore on always. It’s the only way to charge your house batteries as will as the chassis battery when driven and or hook to shore.
Lastly sorry to hear of your wife co-pilot is ok
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

THOR #13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDDOG View Post
The more I read this post I’m thinking your batteries ( 2 - 6 V ) are not grounded correctly. It’s hard to believe that there is an issue. The RV is newer and yes leave your shore on always. It’s the only way to charge your house batteries as will as the chassis battery when driven and or hook to shore.
Lastly sorry to hear of your wife co-pilot is ok
Thanks, she is doing better now and is in physical therapy. But now another problem with the coach. I disconnected it from shore power to move it and now the engine is not charging the main battery and have no lights, brake or headlights, no dash lights, and the engine will not keep running. When I started the engine, the charging gauge showed that it was very low, then all lights completely quit. Ford dealership has no idea what might have happened. The engine chokes like no fuel is getting to it. I used the auxillry power button to start the engine, but will not keep running, and I am just about at the end of my patience and rope with this coach.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Thanks, she is doing better now and is in physical therapy. But now another problem with the coach. I disconnected it from shore power to move it and now the engine is not charging the main battery and have no lights, brake or headlights, no dash lights, and the engine will not keep running. When I started the engine, the charging gauge showed that it was very low, then all lights completely quit. Ford dealership has no idea what might have happened. The engine chokes like no fuel is getting to it. I used the auxillry power button to start the engine, but will not keep running, and I am just about at the end of my patience and rope with this coach.
Its probably not staying running because the battery voltage is not enough to support the load. Do you have a multimeter to test the output voltage from the converter?
A lot of converters have a blade fuse on the back of them that people sometimes miss. If you can check and have no voltage coming out and verify that it is receiving voltage coming in then the only thing is a fuse on the converter or the converter has gone bad. If you have a battery charger, get it connected to the chassis battery to get it back up, the low voltage on lead acid batteries will ruin them. If you can get the coach fired up and running then it may also charge the coach batteries

Ps, in response to wiring on the batteries, if you have 2 6v then what you should have is the negative from one battery connected to the positive of the other battery, that them makes them a 12v battery. Then the positive that is left goes to the positive of the coach and the negative left goes to the chassis ground.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Here you go.

2 6-volt batteries in series to create 12 volts and,
4 6-volt batteries, 2 in series to create 12 volts and then those 2 sets wired in parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-6 volt batteries .png
Views:	57
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	19222   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-6 volt batteries .png
Views:	58
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	19223  

2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Occam's Razor tells me go back to how you connected the new batteries. You might have shorted something and popped a breaker or the batteries are not connected properly. You said everything was working correctly, then you changed batteries, and now you have a problem.

(Occam's Razor is a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct.)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote