Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Synergy 24MB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16965
Batteries not powering 12V Coach

Hi, I've got a 2019 Thor Synergy and mistakenly drained my AGM batteries to 11.4 volts on a recent trip. After turning the converter back on the batteries returned to full charge, BUT no power to the 12V coach system - e.g. the display that controls the lights, etc. wont power-up AND the steps stopped working. Here's what I've troubleshot so far:
  • When my shore-power or generator is running - all the 12V systems work great.
  • Using my volt-meter I can see a full 12.6V + charge on the batteries and my leveling jacks still work.
  • I substituted my existing batteries with a known fully charged battery, still no 12V to the coach systems or steps
  • The solar charge controller is thowing a code that means either low-voltage or no-battery present
  • No light on the 12V Coach on-off switch (except when running on Shore Power or Generator
  • After studying my circuit diagrams, I suspect it might be the battery disconnect or maybe that 50Amp Type III breaker. Would you agree?
I've tried tracing the battery cables and the wiring on the 12V Coach switch with no success. Where might that battery disconnect switch be located?

Old 03-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
"After studying my circuit diagrams, I suspect it might be the battery disconnect or maybe that 50Amp Type III breaker. Would you agree?"

I agree EXCEPT if that was the problem how did the converter charge the batteries? The power from the converter goes through both of those items as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
On the solar battery code issue, does your controller have the option to switch from lead acid batteries to AGM batteries? On my controller I have to switch between them to correctly charge what type of house battery I have installed. You might look around and under your house battery compartment to see if there is another in line fuse that might have gone out. I have a 20 amp in line just under my steps next to the battery compartment.

Paul
Old 03-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #4

THOR #16965
16ACE27, You are right about the Converter not being able to charge the batteries, I must have gotten the re-charge by driving the RV, as the connection to the coach battery is on the same side of the circuit as the house batteries than got drained.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #5

THOR #16965
paulwadley, yes - the solar charge controller is configured to support AGM batteries. I do have a 12V breaker directly under the steps, but assumed it was the breaker for the steps. I'll try swapping it out to see if that fixes my issue. The wiring from the solar charge controller and the disconnect switch both head toward the back of the RV where the converter et. al. is located. I don't know what the batter disconnect looks like or if it's got a reset switch I can just push....
Old 05-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #6

THOR #16965
My problem was solved - there was a bad 50 Amp breaker located next to the Solenoid that switches the 12V house system on/off. Very difficult to reach as it was behind the converter / AC breaker panel.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Just an FYI...
I had a similar problem but a different fix.

I had no power in coach except with genny on (I was boondocking)

After much diagnosis...
I realized the solenoid in the Use/Store mechanism went bad
The switch at the door made a clicking sound at the solenoid so I assumed that the solenoid was fine.
But I couldn’t get any DC in the coach unless the genny was running.

So I connected the two positive cables together at the solenoid
And now everything in the coach works fine (except I have no UseStore switch)

By connecting the cables together is like not having a Use/Store solenoid.

In your case...how did you determine that the 50amp breaker was bad?
Mine doesn’t have a “flag” or indicator on it that it’s tripped or blown.