Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum PD31
State: California
THOR #14713
Cheap cut corners

So, I found some surprises in my 2017 Quantum as I had a chance to really go over the rig. Here is a list, so far, of what I have found to be very cheaply manufactured and corners that Thor has cut:

1) Interior cupboards - Especially under the sink. The frames are made out of a light and cheap, I call it "balsa" wood and held up with industrial staples.

2) "Mushy" floor. (See separate post)

3) Sofa/Chair foam - This stuff has severely degraded after a few years. I had to replace nearly all the cushion foam.

4) Small molding - The smaller molding, again tacked up with staples and failing in several places. I don't have a problem with the heavier molding.

This is what I have found so far. Can anyone add to the list?

Oregonjaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I can live with the cheap moldings and foam, it is the poor quality batteries, converter/charger and TVs in my Axis that I dislike the most.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thor is trying to deliver a product at the cheapest price (and cost!) possible.
The question has to be asked: How much more would you pay; for better quality in the materials and the construction?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #4

THOR #14713
Yup. It's all a hustle. Come to think about it, Everything is a hustle. That's what humans do, hustle and get hustled.

I can live with the cheap things on this RV. I plan on replacing in depth. Shoring the quality up. Slowly, one thing at a time. I think all brands have their cut corners.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #5

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thor is trying to deliver a product at the cheapest price (and cost!) possible.
The question has to be asked: How much more would you pay; for better quality in the materials and the construction?
I agree and understand the quality and quality control issues vs price and I have been generally pleased with the trade off. From my perspective, I will gladly pay for quality devices (AC, fridge, stove, electrical and water, sewer system, etc). These are things that are expensive and difficult to replace and you probably will “live with them” rather than replace them. Things that I can relatively easily and cheaply replace like moldings, lights, carpets, I can live with and upgrade as I go along. In my current Axis, I have the 13.5K AC rather than the 15K. I knew it when I bought it and I save $5K. To replace it is only about $1K, but I probably will never do it unless the 13.5K breaks.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonjaf View Post
I can live with the cheap things on this RV. I plan on replacing in depth. Shoring the quality up. Slowly, one thing at a time. I think all brands have their cut corners.
I agree 100%
We just keep finding things that we can improve; and we roll up our shirtsleeves!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Complaining about low cost construction practices on a forum focused on the market leader in the production of low cost entry level RVs is preaching to the choir. Owning a two year old rig you haven't even started finding items and construction practices that are designed to get past the warranty period and not much more. Have the roof seals started leaking yet? No? Maybe you should get on the roof and check.

You want heavy, long lasting, high cost construction then get a million dollar 45' custom made Featherlite rig. They will be more than happy to build a rig to your requirements.

Featherlite Coaches | Luxury Prevost Conversions & Motorhomes
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree with Oneilkeys (yet again - lol). Plus keep in mind they are tring to keep the RV relatively light weight.

So lots of 1 x 1 wood are are used along with thin decrative wood and plastic.

But it burns me up with I open up a new hidden compartment or look under something for the first time and the they used like 5 staples to hold something together and 4 of them missed. Same thing with the screws.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Amen to all of this thread -"quality is job NONE!"

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 AM   #10

THOR #14713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Complaining about low cost construction practices on a forum focused on the market leader in the production of low cost entry level RVs is preaching to the choir. Owning a two year old rig you haven't even started finding items and construction practices that are designed to get past the warranty period and not much more. Have the roof seals started leaking yet? No? Maybe you should get on the roof and check.

You want heavy, long lasting, high cost construction then get a million dollar 45' custom made Featherlite rig. They will be more than happy to build a rig to your requirements.

Featherlite Coaches | Luxury Prevost Conversions & Motorhomes
Your assumption that I'm complaining is incorrect. Quite the opposite! I like a challenge.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:24 AM   #11

THOR #1765
Smile

Quote:
Your assumption that I'm complaining is incorrect. Quite the opposite! I like a challenge.
Me too.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #12

Model: Thor freedom elite 30fe
State: Arizona
THOR #14244
To purchase A Freedom Elite 30fe cheaper than a Yukon Denali XL .You have to know the best materials aren't used.
For the money I think it a great deal
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
That's the best way to handle these sort of challenges...
Old 04-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahood View Post
To purchase A Freedom Elite 30fe cheaper than a Yukon Denali XL .You have to know the best materials aren't used.
For the money I think it a great deal

Yup. For sure. Everyone would like to see “better quality” but Thor makes entry and mid level products and when you can buy a new RV for less than the price of a nice pickup truck you have to know there will be a few trade offs. It needs to be a consideration in your decision to purchase. On the other hand, especially on a class C, you’re getting an awful lot of Ford engineering and quality. Nearly as much as a whole pickup with the house thrown in for free!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
As a class A purchasing customer where the units MSRP star at $235k, im not sure I agree with the quality being commensurate with the price paid. Quality should be a given in every product, it's too bad that we don't get the value for our dollars. Woukd bd great to have some owners evaluate some units as they come off the line.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I heard THAT! It’s hard to accept flaws in an expensive purchase. But just because it’s expensive doesn’t mean it’s high end. If you’re looking at Thor’s $175,000 products you might go take a peek at Tiffin or Newmar’s comparable floor plans. They might go for $50,000 more and you may or may not be able to see why. I’m not dissing the Thor - in fact I like mid range products as a rule - I’m just pointing out he difference.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I won't be disagreeing with you...
Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I heard THAT! It’s hard to accept flaws in an expensive purchase. But just because it’s expensive doesn’t mean it’s high end. If you’re looking at Thor’s $175,000 products you might go take a peek at Tiffin or Newmar’s comparable floor plans. They might go for $50,000 more and you may or may not be able to see why. I’m not dissing the Thor - in fact I like mid range products as a rule - I’m just pointing out he difference.
Yeah I have thought about doing the same thing. If and when Im ready for my next RV I would look at something larger for retirement.

Really the Tiffins and Newmar's (Gas engine) coaches are only like $20 - 30K more (and thats before you try to negociate them down). So I would look at all 3 of these brands and find the best bang/quality for the buck. Perhaps find this years model after next years are already hitting the dealers to get the best bang on a new coach (of any brand).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Regardless of the Coach you have: this is the best forum!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Regardless of the Coach you have: this is the best forum!
As Good Old Bob would say.... "Ill drink to that" .