Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 01:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: PD31 Quantum
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #22546
Question Battery Cable help (see pictures)

I am new to RVs. I took my house batteries out over the winter, checked the fluid, kept them charged once a month. But I didn't take a picture of the cables.

I thought if I stuck to red and black and the post size, I couldn't get it wrong but now I am having a problem.

When all my cables were hooked up, I started the engine to move the RV and after about 30 seconds there was clicking and I shut off the RV.

I did some troubleshooting one cable at a time and I have it narrowed down to the one cable that causes the problem. Two pictures attached. But now I am unsure of myself and I don't want to stick it on black just because that is the other choice. It got dark and I won't be able to trace the cables under the RV until this weekend. Any help on what I am doing wrong or should be looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor Quantum PD31 Battery Cable Diagram.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	29151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor Quantum PD31 Battery Cable help.jpg
Views:	10220
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	29152  

Old 03-17-2021, 02:06 AM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
When you touch the suspect cable to the positive lead, is there a big spark?
If not, then it's probably connected correctly. When you say clicking, where is it coming from? How quickly does it click? Do the items that run off 12VDC work inside the coach?
Old 03-17-2021, 03:02 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
So you have two 12 volt batteries. My Hurricane also has two 12s and the 'load is split between the two. Half the positives go to one battery and the others go to the other battery. Since you don't have pictures or a schematic, I would suggest you follow each cable from terminal to destination. Look for the grounds and mark them. They should be easiest to find. Then take what is left and one at a time connect them to the closest positive terminal. After each positive connection, check and see what is working. Mark each positive terminal. When all done and everything is working, take pictures.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:16 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Looks like aa positive cable. Trace it down to see where t goes.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:20 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #5061
I was talking to a technician at thormotorcoach.com and they sent me a battery wiring diagram of my coach. Great site and after you register, all the manuals of your coach are available.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #6

THOR #22546
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
When you touch the suspect cable to the positive lead, is there a big spark?
If not, then it's probably connected correctly. When you say clicking, where is it coming from? How quickly does it click? Do the items that run off 12VDC work inside the coach?
Thanks. I didn't notice a spark but I also had all the breakers including the inverter shutoff so I will test that and other things mentioned in this post with breakers on. The clicking is coming from the front from the engine (alternator maybe?). Looks like I will be spending my Saturday tracing wires and testing power.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #7

THOR #22546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisemory View Post
I was talking to a technician at thormotorcoach.com and they sent me a battery wiring diagram of my coach. Great site and after you register, all the manuals of your coach are available.
I registered earlier on their site but could only find the generic manual. I will try to contact a technician and see if I can get more detailed schematics sent to me.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
looks like it goes on the far right POSITIVE since the far left NEGATIVE is already taken by another main outgoing cable - these two 12v batteries are in PARALLEL, meaning that you are doubling the 12v output 'hours'.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
DDK

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: South Dakota
THOR #21568
I'm glad to see that the wiring in my coach is just as confusing as yours. I'm annoyed that the negative wires are covered in red heat shrink tubing.

If you peel back the split flex tubing, you can see the color of the wire. It's most likely black. You are missing the second negative wire on the battery on the right. That is where the wire should go. That is if everything else is hooked up properly.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #10

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDK View Post
I'm glad to see that the wiring in my coach is just as confusing as yours. I'm annoyed that the negative wires are covered in red heat shrink tubing.

If you peel back the split flex tubing, you can see the color of the wire. It's most likely black. You are missing the second negative wire on the battery on the right. That is where the wire should go. That is if everything else is hooked up properly.
Why would you assume there should be a second ground wire to the batteries? There is already one on the far left negative post. The OP needs to ohm out the suspect wire and see's if it goes to ground or not first.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #11
DDK

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: South Dakota
THOR #21568
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Why would you assume there should be a second ground wire to the batteries? There is already one on the far left negative post. The OP needs to ohm out the suspect wire and see's if it goes to ground or not first.
My setup, which might be different, has a negative from the inverter and a negative from the converter to the batteries. This why I assume the spare wire goes to the negative.

You are correct though. Instead of guessing, get a multimeter and test.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:37 PM   #12

Model: thor miramar bunk model
State: New York
THOR #14527
Be careful about hooking up wrong

I can't tell you where that wire should go but I want to throw a couple fo safety caveats out there. Hooking that wire up wrong could be both dangerous and very expensive .... get a Volt Ohm Meter if you don't ahve one for $10 and first check to see if there is any voltage present on that line - like 12.7 volts if it is hooked up to the positive side of your batteries. If no voltage is present when switching your assorted breakers on and off hook up the ohm meter and turn the breakers on and off- for example if that is the positive lead to your inverter with the breaker off it should show infinity ( very high resistance ), with breaker on should be quite low resistance. This would suggest it is a positive lead and should go to the positive on your battery.
You could also use your ohm meter to see if that wire is grounded ( would show very low resistance ). Tracing the wire if you can is your surest bet but that mightbe very difficult.
As an aside you have a fair amount of visible corrosion on all of your leads and you may want to wire brush the terminals and the batteries to make a good connection. I would consider after doing that using some type of battery terminal corrosion inhibitor. Good luck and let us know what you find...of course if another owner of a similar model sends you a pic you are golden.....
Old 03-24-2021, 10:27 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13383
Does this help? 2016 Axis. Sorry you can’t see the far right positive post well. I took these before I change my batteries so I knew how to route the cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26A0C7C7-25F5-46EC-982E-BD7B3C2D7206.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	29322   Click image for larger version

Name:	73297038-FC0B-4A8D-814C-58E3EB63EF83.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	29323  

Old 03-24-2021, 11:10 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Every positive wire leaving the battery compartment will go a circuit breaker or to a relay. There is usually only ONE negative (ground) cable what will go directly to the chassis rails. Just to confuse you, some Thor Industries factories use two negative cables: one goes to the chassis ground and the other goes to the inverter. 12 volt batteries are wired in parallel (neg to neg and pos to pos). It does not matter which positive battery post is used for the positive cables or which negative post is used for the ground cable. 6 volt batteries are wired into series pairs and the pairs are wired just like the 12 volt batteries in parallel. If you have more than four 6 volt batteries you need to search the forum for battery connection advice.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:39 PM   #15

State: Michigan
THOR #18731
As Down South replied it is a positive ground cable.
Attacges from the coach frame to positive battery post.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:18 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I think this can be tested with a voltmeter, but use the continuity function.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #3430
Mystery wires

My 2013 château 28Z has a battery compartment that looks identical yours. The big difference is that it has 6 V deep cycle golf cart batteries wired in series. I am just in the process of replacing the batteries which were put in service June 2014. From all the information I can gather from the manual this was the original installation. My experience has shown that wiring 12 V batteries in parallel is a bad situation because as soon as one cell in the parallel loop gets bad it will discharge the whole system. One of my golf cart batteries was only putting out 2.3 V the other one was still over 6.4 but since they are seven years old nearly I didn’t figure that the good one was going to last that much longer. These batteries are a real challenge to get out and in because they are so heavy and the compartment doesn’t have a whole lot of extra room and you have to tip the battery a little bit to clear the outside lip. Besides that, the battery is quite heavy. I wish I could show a picture but I have already removed the wires.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltbob View Post
As Down South replied it is a positive ground cable.
Attacges from the coach frame to positive battery post.
NO, NO, NO!!

No such thing as a "positive ground cable" on any vehicle made in the last half century.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:53 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
NO, NO, NO!!

No such thing as a "positive ground cable" on any vehicle made in the last half century.

You beat me to it. My eyes bulged out when I read that. I sure hope the OP doesn't try that!
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:32 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have had one of my 12v die, it starts to suck the power out of the other one. I check voltage every morning, if a see a couple days of very low voltage I will check further. Easy to disconnect one, boondocking still have power.. if a cell goes bad in 6v then you only have 6 v left you can use ( dual battery both situations ) ??

[QUOTE=Chateau29Z;283498]My 2013 château 28Z ...clip.. My experience has shown that wiring 12 V batteries in parallel is a bad situation because as soon as one cell in the parallel loop gets bad it will discharge the whole system. One of my golf cart batteries was only putting out 2.3 V the other one was still over 6.4 but since they are seven years old nearly I didn’t figure that the good one was going to last that much longer.

Tags
battery