Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Steps Failed

I picked up my Miramar after having the oil changed and discovered the steps fail to operate. It appears the motor has simply stopped. It is a mostly closed position with the steps up but they do hang loose...about 2 inches from being all the way to the up position.

There is power to the area because there is a light under the step that is on when the door is open.

They did operate slowly a couple of times this winter so I lubricated them. Also, one time they didn't come down when I opened the door. I climbed in, started the motorhome, opened the door and they worked so I thought the battery was just low.

I assume now the motor must have a dead spot and probably needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts? How hard is this to do? I do have extended warranty insurance but It may cost more in fuel then what I'd spend to just do it myself. The dealer is 150 miles round trip.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that you're having this difficulty...
If the dealer is only this far away (Mine is 128 miles: one way...): it might be worth it to have them to the knuckle-busting chores for you.
Especially since you have the extended warranty!
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #3

THOR #4488
I looked at replacing the motor myself and it looks pretty easy. I'm going to check with the warranty company and see if they will reimburse me if I perform the repair.

Does anyone know the model number for the replacement motor?
Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #4

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I picked up my Miramar after having the oil changed and discovered the steps fail to operate. It appears the motor has simply stopped. It is a mostly closed position with the steps up but they do hang loose...about 2 inches from being all the way to the up position.

There is power to the area because there is a light under the step that is on when the door is open.

They did operate slowly a couple of times this winter so I lubricated them. Also, one time they didn't come down when I opened the door. I climbed in, started the motorhome, opened the door and they worked so I thought the battery was just low.

I assume now the motor must have a dead spot and probably needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts? How hard is this to do? I do have extended warranty insurance but It may cost more in fuel then what I'd spend to just do it myself. The dealer is 150 miles round trip.
I have a Thor 37rb 2018 class a. My back steps would go out when the key was turned on and not go back in. I disconnected and wire them up took him to the dealer. They clean the connections plug them in and they worked again. For about a week and a half. Check your connections first before you do anything drastic
Old 05-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #5

THOR #4488
Appreciate your thoughts on the steps. From all I can read I'm convinced it is the motor. It seems a lot of people have the problem where the steps stop working and a whack with a hammer "solves" the problem...temporarily. In my case starting the RV would give it a boost and it would work again. I think the motor must have hit a dead spot in the coil and just quit.

I'm waiting now until Monday to contact the extended warranty folks. If they will reimburse me for the part I'll just do it myself. That will save a few hundred dollars for them and save me the head ache of dealing with Camping World.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #6

THOR #4488
Steps failed...update

The extended warranty (Compass) required me to take the motorhome in to a service center...they wouldn't pay me for the part...so it cost them $459 for the repair instead of the $83 i wanted for the new motor.

Camping World explained to me that they don't replace just the motor for warranty work. They replaced the entire assembly...motor, gears and electrical box. He said it is difficult to "go back to the well" for more authorizations if they run into issues so they just replace the whole thing.

Anyway, it's done and warranty paid with no deductible. Yay.

He also told me what causes the steps to go out prematurely is not taking extra care to make sure they out and "locked" into position before stepping onto them. The mechanism can handle a lot of weight (650 pounds) but the little motor can not. I'm sure I've opened the door and used the steps before they were fully extended. Lesson learned.