Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 03:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Colorado
THOR #17966
Battery Confusion

I am going to add another battery to the house side since the MH is already wired for it but I have some newb questions.

We have one 24DC battery now that is 5 months old. It has a tag stating 23 amps for 150 min. I assume that would make it a 57.5 amp hour battery? That seems kinda low.

We don’t use much more than the water pump and the fridge on LP during the day but the battery does not stay at 12v for very long. How long should I expect the battery to go before I need to charge it again with that small of amp drain on it?

I have had the battery checked twice at the auto parts store and they tell me that the battery is good.

The battery status indicator in the MH is only 3 lights. Green is 12V, Yellow is 11V and 10 V is red. I think that I have made a mistake by not running the gen to charge when we are in the yellow at 11v. How long does it normally take to charge a full volt from the generator? (from 11v to 12v)

I can’t get the exact same battery to add as the second. I read that the batteries should be the same. Does that mean the same 24dc size or the same amp hour? How close to the same do they need to be?

I found a chart on another thread showing 50% discharge is 12.06 volt. If a battery should not be discharged more than 50% I’m sure I broke that rule. I would like to avoid that in the future so I am adding a volt gauge.

Thanks for the help.
Bruce