Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
THOR #23492
Battery Connect/Boost relay connection

First post. Be gentle.

Last year I purchased a 2015 Thor 28A, used from CruiseCanada/CruiseAmerica. Overall, very happy. After last year's usage and some familiarity, this year we're adjusting to the experience: What do we need, what do we leave at home, what enhancements do we want. And so it begins.

I've been tracing out the electrical systems. On the 120V side I've found two mis-labelled circuit breakers, and am replacing some outlets with ones which have 12V USB connections. The (3-stage) converter unit works, so it is a keep until it needs to be replaced.

On the 12V side there will be upgrades. The 40W solar panel that came with the unit appears to not work. I'll play with the portable 100W I bought this spring. I'm looking at various units from Blue Sea, Victron, and Renology (battery low-voltage cut-offs, 12v-12V charger, monitor system, battery cutoff switch.

And to the question: I spent some time nosing around under the vehicle and have found that the house battery 12V goes to an insulated post attached to the side of the battery box, and from there three battery cables snake out to the generator start motor, to the converter in the under-seat electrical cabinet, and forward to the engine compartment.

That cable going to the front engine compartment should have a relay/solenoid on it somewhere - when the button on the dash is depressed it is supposed to connect the house battery to the engine battery, so you can boost the engine and get out of the boondocks even if your engine battery has lost charge. I've found the pushbutton, I've found a low-power relay that I think powers the solenoid, but I have not searched the engine compartment for the high-current solenoid.

Does anyone have a similar setup, am I on the right track with my analysis, and where is that solenoid located?

Old 05-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You're on the right track and have it all figured out except for the physical location of that relay. Unless someone with the same coach can chime in on its location you'll just need to hunt it down - it may be in the engine compartment on a Class C - try tracing back from the chassis battery positive post.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Most motorhomes use one of two prevalent systems. The older one is the Intellitec BIRD, see https://intellitec.com/wp-content/up...-C-Rev-A-1.pdf.

The newer one is the Precision Circuits BIM, see https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/pro...ion-manager-2/. PC also makes 225 amp versions and a lithium version. PC's BIM is considered to be more sophisticated than Intellitec's BIRD. The PC Li BIM has logic that minimizes heavy loads on the chassis alternator.

You should be able to hear either of them click in when you hit the aux start button, but that doesn't mean that the contacts are good, it only means that the solenoid is moving.

I have the BIM 160 on my 2021 Axis. It is located under the hood on the driver's side near the wheel well.

You should be able to find yours by having someone push the aux start button while you look underneath the hood.

David
Old 05-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #4

State: Ontario
THOR #23492
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Most motorhomes use one of two prevalent systems. The older one is the Intellitec BIRD, see https://intellitec.com/wp-content/up...-C-Rev-A-1.pdf.

The newer one is the Precision Circuits BIM, see https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/pro...ion-manager-2/. PC also makes 225 amp versions and a lithium version. PC's BIM is considered to be more sophisticated than Intellitec's BIRD. The PC Li BIM has logic that minimizes heavy loads on the chassis alternator.

You should be able to hear either of them click in when you hit the aux start button, but that doesn't mean that the contacts are good, it only means that the solenoid is moving.

I have the BIM 160 on my 2021 Axis. It is located under the hood on the driver's side near the wheel well.

You should be able to find yours by having someone push the aux start button while you look underneath the hood.

David
I am certain I have nothing which supports charging or is bidirectional - the wiring diagram under the hood (adhesive-attached) shows a normally-open solenoid. It's probably just a standard, standalone, single-pole, normally-open, solenoid. The pushbutton is also normally open.

I will need to crawl under, from the front, and trace the wires. Fortunately, battery cables are easy to find.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:50 AM   #5

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
Solenoid

Under the washer fluid tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B91EFC6-C658-4635-9A63-2451046A2A02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	123.0 KB