Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

State: Alabama
THOR #6947
Battery disconnect solenoid

Hi there I have a new Thor Quantum RS26 does anybody know where the battery disconnect solenoid is physically situated?

KevinE

Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Call Thor tech support with your vin number. Or trace the wires from the disconnect switch until you find the relay. These things are pretty much hand built so ir could be anywhere.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Have someone operate the switch and listen for the clicking noise.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Locating the battery disconnect relay/solenoid is definitely an adventure in self-discovery. On the 2015 Vegas 24.1 it's behind a grill in the hallway, under the refrigerator, behind heater ducts, and mounted behind a wooden bulkhead. The attached picture shows what it looks like on the Vegas.

Trykte's suggestion is a good one. Have someone operate the USE/STORE from USE to Store and back and track down the click as the solenoid connects and disconnects. That is probably way easier that trying to chase wires through the Thor rat's nests of wiring installations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Disconnect behind hallway grill.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	4441  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
you know.... makes me think.... I really should do this exercise and chase the noise to find the thing before someday when it doesn't work and then I would never be able to find the thing!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #6

THOR #6947
Hi the problem is There is no click when you press the disconnect switch, I checked the switch it is functioning ok, thanks for for your input I will have to trace the wires
Old 06-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Model: ACE
THOR #7414
Looking for mine as well. I was told by Thor tech. support that on my Thor 30.1 ACE it is located under the hood. Looked, can't find it any where. My issue is that every thing works on shore power and generator, but lights etc. don't work when i unplug from shorepower. Tech, ( very nice and helpful ) seems to think it may be the solenoid - if only I can find the darn thing. Will try, with wife's help, to listen to clunk. However, if it is clunking does that not mean the solenoid is working as it should????
Old 06-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemkoeslag View Post
Looking for mine as well. I was told by Thor tech. support that on my Thor 30.1 ACE it is located under the hood. Looked, can't find it any where. My issue is that every thing works on shore power and generator, but lights etc. don't work when i unplug from shorepower. Tech, ( very nice and helpful ) seems to think it may be the solenoid - if only I can find the darn thing. Will try, with wife's help, to listen to clunk. However, if it is clunking does that not mean the solenoid is working as it should????
On my 29.3 ace it is located under the bed in the same area as the fuse box.
you might have to unscrew the panel that covers the area to access it.
hope this helps
Old 06-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #9

THOR #6947
Maybe not what it does is connects the battery for coach use, then when you park you should disconnect your battery. It may clunk but does not mean it has connected to your battery, is your battery charged or not
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #10

Model: ACE
THOR #7414
Thank you I will there as well, Mousemate
Old 06-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #11

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Quote:
Willie,
Having the same problem, (no 12v when disconnect). Where was the solenoid located and what was the fix? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
The picture I posted in #4 above is the disconnect solenoid for the house batteries. I don't think that's what you are looking for. The one under the hood for the chassis battery should look like the picture here. I also included the wiring diagram and info on how the battery disconnect and isolation system should work. I know this is not an ACE, but I'm pretty sure they usec the same components as on the Axis/Vegas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD & Tramberra.jpg
Views:	3445
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	10575  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD & Trombetta.pdf (273.5 KB, 409 views)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #13

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
Quote:
Thank you I will there as well, Mousemate
It is under the bed behind the con erter panel on my WS31. Same place mousemate noted.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #14

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Here's The Fix
When disconnect switch turned on, got no lights or 12v inside coach. Thor ACE 2014.
FIX: Open hood, then Battery Control Panel (contains fuses). Located small grey box located in the lower left. There's a black switch on side (press it in). BINGO.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:16 AM   #15

State: Virginia
THOR #12020
In my Thor Hurricane 31s the battery disconnect solenoid is located under the bed in the rear of the RV. To get to it I had to move the mattress, remove two screws and the plywood cover of the bed frame. The replacement solenoid was available from Amazon in two days. It took less time to replace it than it did to find out where it was located.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #16

Model: Ace 30.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #13053
Quote:
I had a problem with mine and found it under the hood top right (as you are looking at the engine) on the circuit board. It was a 1"x1.5" grey box. There is a reset button on the right side of it. I will have to replace mine soon as it picks the most inconvenient times to quit working.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #17

Model: Freedom elite
THOR #12255
Bare connections should be coated with a spray I got at Napa (red) for battery terminals but also use vasoline to keep from corrosion!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Mac...first thing I noticed also. Ed...when you get a free minute or two, remove those two red connectors in the picture above...clean the contact points up with emery cloth and re-connect...spraying them with the red goo Mac speaks of. I see a bit of corrosion forming that will only hit you at 3AM in the middle of a rain storm.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #19

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Can someone give me a simple explanation of what the battery disconnect solenoid does? When there is a problem, what failures will I see.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #20

Model: Freedom elite
THOR #12255
the battery disconnect switch activates a solenoid which switches the battery circuit on and off. The solenoid is subject to failure and if it does, the switch will do nothing. A second possibility is that the house batteries are dead. You shut off the batteries with the disconnect switch but there are a number of other loads that are not disconnected by the battery shut off switch in most coaches. Some of these parasitic loads include the smoke/carbon monoxide/propane detectors, various electronic indicators and other things the manufacturer may have wired outside the battery cutoff circuit. They are small loads but may in a weeks time completely discharge the battery.