Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #16759
Exclamation Battery Disconnect Switch? 1996 Four Winds E350 Class C

Hello, I am having an issue with my coach interior lights I am unable to run the lights without turning on the generator. My coach battery is brand new and all connections are nice and tight. I am unable to find the battery disconnect switch anywhere in the coach, driver seat or under the hood.

I was able to find the manual for it but no where does it show anything about a battery switch. Someone please help I am frustrated !

Old 09-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I don't know your coach at all but I do know how frustrating finding electrical components (even on the same coaches) can be sometimes. I did a quick search and below is an exerpt of a 1996 Four Winds (class C) manual describing your problem I think. Note auxiliary batteries in this text are the same has house batteries. I hope this helps you find your trouble.

BATTERY ISOLATOR (Class C Mini Motorhomes) When the motorhome engine is not running, the chassis and auxiliary batteries are kept seperated from each other within the electrical system through the use of a battery isolator solenoid. The isolator solenoid prevents the auxiliary from discharging the chassis battery when the motorhome is parked. If power is lost to the interior from the auxiliary battery, check the breaker mounted on the side of the isolator solenoid under the hood. NOTE: When operating l2V equipment from battery, reduce equipment in use to conserve battery. Gradual dimming of lights, and slowing of motors indicates low battery voltage.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Followup comment: Assuming this 1996 manual even pertains to you, a little more reading on top of page 69 says the following:
If the converter does not have a llOV supply to convert to l2V, it automatically switches the batteries into the electrical circuit to power l2V functions. When reconnected to a llOV supply, it will again operate from this power source”.

So it sounds like your converter (if still OEM) might also have a transfer switch on the 12vdc side that switches the coach batteries into service when the converter has no shore or gen AC power on its input. So if you can’t find the breaker under the hood as mentioned in my previous post, then perhaps the 12vdc transfer relay in the output of the converter has failed or is not switching/connections etc.

The link to the manual I am looking at is (may not even be what you have though):

https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-content/uploads/Thor-Motor-Coach/Four%20Winds/1996.FourWinds-FourWinds5000OwnersManual.pdf