Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 2018 29H and the Use / Store switch has a light in it. Mine is also next to the entry door.

When it is in the Use position, the light is red. When it is in the Store position, the light is off..... if it is not plugged into shore power. When plugged into shore power the light is alway on..... even in Store mode.

The Inverter panel and switch is close to the Use / Store switch in my 29H. I never turn on the Inverter unless I need to run my TV’s off the batteries. Otherwise the TV’s are powered by shore power or the generator. There is no need to have the Inverter on otherwise.

If your Inverter is on and you don’t realize it, it will drain the batteries regardless of whether you are in Store mode.

The Inverter panel should look something like this......

Attachment 18234
Like a TV set with a remote, the inverter is always on even when the lights are all off; otherwise, the remote could not signal the computer to turn the lights on. The propane alarm, memory for the bedroom radio and the DC for the RV fridge bypass the store/use switch (master power).

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
Yes but even with the inverter "off" they still run. Guess that is what surprised me.

EDIT: I put that in quotes because the way the button was on the inverter, it would be in the off position. You can still see the power draw in watts on the screen though.
Is that with the coach plugged in to SP? The inverter may be off but power would still be supplied to the fridges, etc by SP. Depending on your inverter, it may still display AC load even when off.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Pretty sure it was not. Going to check it again when I get back and will get a video of the behavior if it is indeed like I mentioned.

Batteries were draining and I was about to take it to the storage lot at the time. Wound up turning both fridges off using the dials inside them.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Nevada
THOR #12798
I have had 4 Motorhomes and have the same problem with all of them. Even with your battery switch off, there is still some draw from various electronics on the coach. To solve the problem install a disconnect switch on the negative side of your house bank of batteries. On my class C it was a cheap knife switch. On my Class A it was a bigger switch to carry the necessary current. Or you can just disconnect the negative cable from the battery. The batteries will stay charged. Paintman1941.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #25

Model: Vegas
State: Idaho
THOR #15701
Brand new Vegas 24.1 owner

We received the newsletter today, has so much great information. One of the items that caught our eye was the battery drainage problem. Can someone please tell us where the inverter is on the Vegas 24.1? We had some major issues storing it this past winter, totally dead house and chassis batteries when we went to pick it up out of winter storage. Thank goodness there was a gentleman there who helped us charge the chassis battery. In the meantime we have installed new house batteries and purchased solar panels so this does not happen again. However, it would be nice to know where the inverter is located so we can turn it off. Really not interested in watching TV and from what I read, that is one of the main functions of the inverter? Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsheb View Post
We received the newsletter today, has so much great information. One of the items that caught our eye was the battery drainage problem. Can someone please tell us where the inverter is on the Vegas 24.1? We had some major issues storing it this past winter, totally dead house and chassis batteries when we went to pick it up out of winter storage. Thank goodness there was a gentleman there who helped us charge the chassis battery. In the meantime we have installed new house batteries and purchased solar panels so this does not happen again. However, it would be nice to know where the inverter is located so we can turn it off. Really not interested in watching TV and from what I read, that is one of the main functions of the inverter? Thanks
The Axis does not have an inverter. There is still drain on the coach batteries with the Use/Store in Store. You can install a disconnect switch or just open the breaker in your batteries box to disconnect the coach batteries. You can do the same thing with the chassis battery, but it affects the engine computer.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Elite
State: North Carolina
THOR #2887
Battery Drain

Very interesting thread. Several years ago, even though I disconnected my negative ground, my battery would drain after 3-4 weeks. Two places checked my battery and said it was OK. However I went ahead and replaced it anyway about 3 years ago. Well my new battery is doing the same thing, drains in 3-4 weeks. Tomorrow I plan to replace that 3 year old battery. I always disconnect both the positive and the negative terminals. Thank goodness I can start it with my auxiliary batteries. I have no idea what the problem is, but it sure is frustrating.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #28

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The propane alarm, memory for the bedroom radio and the DC for the RV fridge bypass the store/use switch (master power).

I’d have to double check, but I’m pretty sure the fridge DC cuts out when the store switch is off in the 29H. It seems like the Outlaw C is a little wacky compared to the other Thor C’s due to it being made in a different plant.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 AM   #29

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKSTOOL View Post
Very interesting thread. Several years ago, even though I disconnected my negative ground, my battery would drain after 3-4 weeks. Two places checked my battery and said it was OK. However I went ahead and replaced it anyway about 3 years ago. Well my new battery is doing the same thing, drains in 3-4 weeks. Tomorrow I plan to replace that 3 year old battery. I always disconnect both the positive and the negative terminals. Thank goodness I can start it with my auxiliary batteries. I have no idea what the problem is, but it sure is frustrating.
I bought a small solar panel and put it in the front window hooked to the chassis battery. It is enough to keep it topped off - at least in the warm weather that I have.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #30

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: New York
THOR #15098
battery drain

Well, I installed a disconnect on the house battery, but I'm wondering if I need to install one on both batteries. The one I put in I installed on the battery that seems to be connected to the house electrics (the rear battery in the battery well) The front battery is also connected to the truck battery, and now even with the disconnect switch in "store", I still get power to the coach.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #31

THOR #7010
Just to restate this (let me know if any of this is incorrect): 29H has two house batteries in parallel, plus one chassis battery under the hood. There’s a momentary solenoid (that is normally off) that can connect the two banks for emergency jumping of the chassis from the house; in other words, under normal operation, the chassis battery is isolated from the coach, but a momentary switch can connect them briefly. You installed a battery disconnect on the neg of the house between the battery and the frame ground point. When you open this battery disconnect, you are inexplicably getting power to the coach. So far correct? Does the use/store switch have any effect?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #32

THOR #1765
If the Outlaw is set up similar to most Thor Class As (at least the small ones) the coach and chassis batteries are disconnected from each other when the coach is not running or on shore power/generator. As soon as it has power from one of these three sources, a solenoid opens and connects the two battery systems and they charge continuously until the power source is turned off. However, The use/store must be in the use position for the coach batteries to charge.

In my Axis, I once had the battery 50 amp breaker trip and I did not know it. When the coach was plugged in (or on generator) I had a few lights work in the coach but nothing else that was hooked up to the coach batteries. In addition, there are a few things in the Axis (such as the radio memory) that are hooked to the chassis battery and not the coach.

So depending on how the coach is actually wired, it may be possible that some lights or systems work even if the coach batteries are physically disconnected.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #33

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If the Outlaw is set up similar to most Thor Class As (at least the small ones)
Close but not quite. The emergency start solenoid engages when the engine is running to charge the house batteries along with the chassis from the alternator, but the reverse is not true from generator or SP; the chassis remains isolated from the house (I had to install a Trik-l-start to overcome this as my chassis kept dying because I was driving very short distance, and relying on generator/SP to charge). I was simplifying a smidge in my question to Omar, as I’m assuming he’s not talking about getting coach power while the engine is running.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #34

THOR #1765
After five years owning a Thor, I am still amazed at what they include and what they leave out in different coaches. I would think that charging the chassis battery from shore power/generator would be a “must” especially in a coach like the Outlaw that costs double my Axis. Go figure.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:45 AM   #35

THOR #7010
The 29H is the Class C Outlaw. The A has all the bells and whistles; our coaches are built with tape, glue and what falls off the A onto the assembly line floor.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #36

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
The 29H is the Class C Outlaw. The A has all the bells and whistles; our coaches are built with tape, glue and what falls off the A onto the assembly line floor.
Not really - on my plant 850 tour three years ago, after looking at five class A Outlaws in various states of construction; one of the guys in our group of about 12, ask what that was over in the far corner. The salesman guide stated he did not as he had never had an order for one. The group walked over and salesman stated it looked like an experimental class C Outlaw. With that, the group moved over to where the Palazzos were being built.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:25 AM   #37

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Utah
THOR #15216
I would think the engine batteries would not be effected. But I had the same problem. Everything dead.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:51 AM   #38

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by donw View Post
I would think the engine batteries would not be effected. But I had the same problem. Everything dead.
From Lifeline batteries - for flooded deep cycle batteries - Self discharge 5-10% per month when new increases drastically with age due to antimony contamination of the negative plate.

Add an unfused draw of about 0.5 amps and the battery is lucky to last a month without being charged.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #39

Model: Freedom Elite
State: North Carolina
THOR #2887
Turns out my 2 1/2 year old Auto Craft battery was under a 3 year warranty. Advance Auto found it was defective and replaced the battery for free.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #40

Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
Smile battery drain

Call THOR and ask for your wire diagrams and all your other prints. they show you how everything is connected or should be connected. Also my refrigerator is on my inverter, 1500 watts, open the refrigerator door and turn the inverter on and off and if the light in the fridge goes on or off you know it on the inverter.