Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2022, 03:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #26816
Battery Drain

We own a 2017 Thor Axis and are having an issue with the chassis battery draining overnight. This battery was purchased and installed in March of this year. We can't find anything we left on that would drain the battery but we are wondering if someone may know of an obscure light or switch we may have overlooked. Our next step is to remove the battery (a pain to do) and have it checked but if the battery is fine we are not sure where to look next.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Sounds like a bad battery. Have you had it checked?
Old 05-13-2022, 08:12 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Check out your battery management system

It should be charging both house and chassis batteries
Old 05-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #4

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26545
While we are on the subject I have a new to me freedom elite 23H I had it plugged into a 30 amp SP when I left Monday and everything was working fine on the 12 volt side before I plugged it in, I came home today and the batteries are completely dead. Is there a certain way the battery switch has to be in?
Old 05-13-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreck View Post
While we are on the subject I have a new to me freedom elite 23H I had it plugged into a 30 amp SP when I left Monday and everything was working fine on the 12 volt side before I plugged it in, I came home today and the batteries are completely dead. Is there a certain way the battery switch has to be in?
As mentioned about 15,000 times in this forum alone, the battery disconnect has to be shut (ON, USE/STORE in USE) for the converter to charge the house batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:06 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Chassis battery you say? Do you have heated mirrors and are they turned on?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:28 PM   #7

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
As mentioned about 15,000 times in this forum alone, the battery disconnect has to be shut (ON, USE/STORE in USE) for the converter to charge the house batteries.
Mine also has a what appears to be a toggle switch that shows the voltage on 12 volt one way and SP when thrown the other way. Does it make a difference which way it is thrown for the house batteries to charge?
Old 05-14-2022, 12:21 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreck View Post
Mine also has a what appears to be a toggle switch that shows the voltage on 12 volt one way and SP when thrown the other way. Does it make a difference which way it is thrown for the house batteries to charge?
Sounds like a previous owner mod for voltage monitoring. If that is the case it shouldn't effect charging, BUT, you'll never know for sure without tracing the wiring.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:36 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Ontario
THOR #7822
Easy check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revk View Post
We own a 2017 Thor Axis and are having an issue with the chassis battery draining overnight. This battery was purchased and installed in March of this year. We can't find anything we left on that would drain the battery but we are wondering if someone may know of an obscure light or switch we may have overlooked. Our next step is to remove the battery (a pain to do) and have it checked but if the battery is fine we are not sure where to look next.
Hi there.
Do you have an On/Off switch between the battery and the coach. If not, something is ALWAYS connected. If you do, turn it off. Go to bed, wake up and turn it on. if it is charged, your answer is some sort of parasitic drain somewhere - 99% of the time this is the issue.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:25 PM   #10

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
A bad diode bridge in your alternator can drain your battery, it will allow the battery to keep the windings in the alternator energized an will drain the battery, let it set over night after charging it up and then put your hand on the alternator in the morning, if its warm you got a bad alternator, that is if you can get your hand in to feel it
Old 05-18-2022, 11:21 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revk View Post
Check it with a hydrometer after battery has cooled off between charge cycles.
A weak or dead cell will discharge the battery whether connected or not. I have 59 years professional experience with batteries and vehicles of all kinds.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:11 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edki45 View Post
Check it with a hydrometer after battery has cooled off between charge cycles.
A weak or dead cell will discharge the battery whether connected or not. I have 59 years professional experience with batteries and vehicles of all kinds.
I also use a hydrometer to check my 6volt GC2 batteries... however many folks have maintenance free "sealed" batteries. They must be properly load tested to check their health.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:19 AM   #13

Model: Tuscany 40ex
THOR #12726
You can also check that diode with a ohm meter by unhooking the battery and use a ohm meter from the charge cable to ground and if you get no reading then the diode is good
Old 05-19-2022, 12:23 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
You can also check that diode with a ohm meter by unhooking the battery and use a ohm meter from the charge cable to ground and if you get no reading then the diode is good
Depending on polarity and ohmmeter range.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:08 AM   #15

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Another Battery Disconnect switch question

ACE, I think i was number 7000 on this issue, I decided to see if THOR updated owners manual, and they have... However, they are indicating the switch needs to be in ON position for Solar Panel to charge batteries. I think you had indicated the Solar Panels bypass the switch?

I find that my panel shows FULL when entering the RV, so i think the charge is always on the batteries. I shut off battery switch when leaving RV for a few days.

I decided to check revision. Manual Revised in Jan 22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-06-01_20-06-48.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	37809   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-06-01_20-18-10.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	37810  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-06-01_20-23-41.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	37811  
Old 06-02-2022, 01:13 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
ACE, I think i was number 7000 on this issue, I decided to see if THOR updated owners manual, and they have... However, they are indicating the switch needs to be in ON position for Solar Panel to charge batteries. I think you had indicated the Solar Panels bypass the switch?

I find that my panel shows FULL when entering the RV, so i think the charge is always on the batteries. I shut off battery switch when leaving RV for a few days.

It has been my experience that the solar charge controller is connected directly to the house (AUX) batteries. So they always charged without regard to the condition of the battery disconnect switch.

BUT, you can never be sure unless you do some extended voltage testing or trace out the wires from the solar charge controller to their connection to the 12 VDC system.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:14 AM   #17

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post

When I added my roof solar panels, part of the plan was to have the batteries continuously charged... ESPECIALLY when stored over the winter. My charge controller is connected directly to the batteries, NOT to the disconnect (use/store) switch.

I don't understand Thor's thinking here. Wouldn't a separate solar disconnect switch be better?
Old 06-02-2022, 01:28 AM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
When I added my roof solar panels, part of the plan was to have the batteries continuously charged... ESPECIALLY when stored over the winter. My charge controller is connected directly to the batteries, NOT to the disconnect (use/store) switch.

I don't understand Thor's thinking here. Wouldn't a separate solar disconnect switch be better?
Or turn off the controller?
Old 06-02-2022, 01:35 AM   #19

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I did my own install of 4, 100 watt solar panels and 4 gel cell batteries an all from Renogy, I store my coach during the summer months and only use it during the fall, winter and spring along the Colorado River, Renogy told me to just pull the fuse between the controller and the inverter when the coach is stored and to re install an hook up and charge the batteries from shore power once a month when being stored, so far it has worked for me.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:57 AM   #20

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Or turn off the controller?
Charge controllers generally don't have ON/OFF switches; the install should have a separate properly rated disconnect switch on the positive cable between the panels and charge controller. Then there should be a properly rated fuse (breaker) between the controller and batteries.

Provided you have sky exposure, the nice thing about roof solar is not having to plug in during storage - never worrying about the batteries being fully charged. The whole point of having the battery disconnect switch (use/store) OFF with batteries completely disconnected from the coach is to prevent any drain from the coach... BUT you still want the panels to charge the batteries.