Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 30D
State: Washington
THOR #21409
Battery Hold Downs

About a month ago we decided to trade in our 5th wheel and get our first Class C. We've been RVing for years but always have had camping trailers and slide-in pickup campers. We bought a preowned 2018 Thor Four Winds 30D that was originally a rental and then was owned by a private party for about a year. Mechanically and structurally it's in great shape but had the kinds of things it needed that allowed some negotiation in the purchase, so I've been doing things like upgrading drawer slides and that kind of stuff.

One thing I'm kind of fanatical about is batteries and this coach has a neglected set of house batteries under the entry steps. The hold downs are missing, there was major corrosion on the terminals and tops of the batteries, the electrolyte level was below the plates (so it's new battery time) and the positive post on the forward battery has shorted to the metal of the battery box at some point. I cleaned them up and topped them off, strapped them down, and capped the positive post as a "just in case" thing. When I charged and load tested the batteries they held a charge but drop in the yellow of the load tester, so I figured they were okay for a couple of short trips while we make sure we have everything ready to go.

We've gone out for a couple of 3 day trips and I have most everything done, so am starting on upgrades but first I want to install the new set of batteries. I'll disconnect the shore power and then pull the old batteries, neutralize the battery area with a baking soda solution, scrape and wire brush the whole thing, and then paint it (acid etch primer, then top coat, and then coat it with automotive undercoating. Then I'll put in a plastic battery tray and proper hold downs.

That's where I'm running blind. It looks like the anchor points are designed for nylon straps similar to those used on plastic battery boxes but I can't find anything showing what type of hold downs are correct. J bolts and crossbars might work but as tight as the clearances are I'm not sure that's the way to go. I asked a technician at the Thor dealer near me and while I appreciate that they gave Forrest Gump a job it wasn't much help, and there's nothing I can find in the documents on the Thor owner's site.

So, too late to make a long story short, but can you all help me with what hold downs are used and any recommendations on upgrades or alternatives if the factory setup could use some improvement?

Old 12-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My Outlaw had a thin set of nylon straps. They were about an inch across. If you can make j-bolts and crossbars work: that would be preferable.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
They're Nylon straps with buckles.
And
Take LOTS of pictures before you undo this battery cables.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #1249
The nylon straps on mine finally broke. Installed some adj. inexpensive hold down kits and now they stay in place.
Link below on the ones I used.

https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/pr...view/id/116706
Old 12-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #5

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a 2018 Chateau 31E and it came with nylon straps and buckles to hold down the batteries. I went through 3 sets of straps in less than 3 years. Either the nylon webbing broke or the plastic buckles broke. Also, the batteries would still slide around with just the straps holding them. I finally installed some battery trays and hold-downs with j-hooks. It's a tight fit, but much more secure and working well so far.

I used these, but had to trim part of them to get them to fit, since the trays are wider than the batteries. So these might not be the best choice, but something similar that clamps the batteries down is better than straps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
These work very well...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1609163266
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Compartment.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	27818  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

THOR #21409
Typed a longer reply but I don't type fast and the system logs me out and throws away what I typed. Basically just saying thanks and that I'll post pictures. Mama says we're taking the rig out again so I strapped them for now and will square it away with new batteries within the next couple of weeks.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Have a safe and fun trip!
If you can type out a reply in notepad, and copy it: you can then paste it into these boxes. It'll give you the chance to type out much longer replies.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #9

THOR #21409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Have a safe and fun trip!
If you can type out a reply in notepad, and copy it: you can then paste it into these boxes. It'll give you the chance to type out much longer replies.
That's exactly what I did on my original post after getting the post dumped a couple of times and I should have done that with the reply. Slow learner I guess. I'm leaning towards the aluminum angle crossbars since I have some short aluminum angle scraps left over from another project. Anyway, Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #10

Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How are you securing them on the bottom?

Drilling a hole and using j bolts?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup!
Old 12-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
My last SOB class c had a composite battery box under the steps that was trouble free. For battery hold downs it used a block of dense plastic that was notched and secured them side to side. It also topped out on the bottom of the step that was the lid to the battery box. I wish my current rig was this thoughtful on the design of the battery box area. Being manufactured out of a product that self destructs is pitiful. So is the cheap nylon battery straps that Thor uses. Any way, if you can find a picture of an older Fleetwood class c battery box, you may find a good solution.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #13

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #19878
They do make SS J bolts, little more expensive.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Stainless steel is THE way to go!