Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 01:35 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Mine is wired "backwards" also but I've never had a problem.

I called the bim manufacturer and asked them after talking to a member that switched his bim connection.

The tech said on gas model mh it can be connected either way and it wouldnt make a difference.

Not saying it didn't fix the problems some had but wonder if there was something else wrong that was fixed by the switch

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:09 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: California
THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Mine is wired "backwards" also but I've never had a problem.

I called the bim manufacturer and asked them after talking to a member that switched his bim connection.

The tech said on gas model mh it can be connected either way and it wouldnt make a difference.

Not saying it didn't fix the problems some had but wonder if there was something else wrong that was fixed by the switch

Jerry
I spoke with Precision also and the tech told me the same thing, it doesn’t matter which post you connect the cables to. Yet after I switched the cable connections everything is now working as advertised and I can hear the relays click. Before that, none of the relays clicked and hence, the coach batteries would not charge from the engine and the chassis battery would not charge from shore or the generator.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Same here.......

I spoke to Precision Circuits a year ago and they told me the same thing.... that is didn't matter which way it was wired. They even sent me a replacement BIM160.

I installed the new BIM and the behavior did not change. Then after searching other coach manufacturer forums, I found they all wire the BIM opposite of Thor.

As soon as I moved the chassis battery cable and the wire for the chassis voltage monitoing to the BATT-A post and moved the house batteries to BATT-B, all the problems went away and it started working as designed. I also verified the SIG post went to the emergency start switch.

Two other things I considered that made me think the other manufacturers were right......

First.... the IGN post is directly above the BATT-A post. I could not get the schematics the circuit board inside the BIM but I am guessing that has an impact on operation because schematics I have seen show that going to the chassis batteris.

Second... from information that I read about the the BIM for LI batteries, the chassis battery MUST be connected to the BATT-A post. It looks identical to the BIM 160/225 but we know LI batteries need to be handled differently.

Now I have a diesel but I can't imagine it matters between a gasser and a diesel... even though I have two chassis batteries.

All I know is putting in a new BIM160 didn't fix the problem but wiring it the way the other coach manufacturers did solve all of my issues.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 34 j
State: North Carolina
THOR #22352
I guess ill join the group on this one, I have noticed my house, coach batteries are not charging while I'm driving. I too never have been anywhere where I don't plug into shore power. my RV is always plugged in at home. and while the Onan generator is running it charges the coach batteries. I have a 2017 Thor Windsport 34j. I assume its down to a bad BIM 160 isolator, or its wired incorrectly or both. I am gonna change it out and hope it now charges correctly. seems there has been a lot of these same issues now that ive joined the Thor forum
Old 05-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
See my contemporaneous post on the BIM 160 in my Axis. Changed the wiring and now it works fine.

David
Old 05-06-2021, 11:14 PM   #26

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Here is the link to the thread Dave is talking about....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...tml#post291235