Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
This project is close to wrapping up. I've determined that 2 of the 4 batteries are usable in the short term. Only remaining question is do I need to add battery acid to bring the spg into range. I ran a continuous 10A load on them for 3 hrs yesterday with only a small drop in voltage. My original hydrometer test on these was between 1125 and 1150 suggesting weak cells however the battery easily survived the test. I tested today after an overnight recharge and the spg is between 1150 and 1175.
Should I replace some of the water with battery acid to correct?
No!!! The distilled water that you add will allow the lead sulfate that is produced when the battery is discharged to turn to sulfuric acid when the battery is charged. When it is fully charged you should be back to full specific gravity. If it doesn't go back, that means that some of the lead sulfate has settled out on the bottom and can't react. Try equalizing then which will stir up the lead sulfate sometimes and let it go back into solution.

David

Old 11-09-2021, 02:47 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Did some battery maintenance today on our new to us 2021 Omni XG32. I found ea of the 4-6v batteries to be dry on top with 2 of the batteries taking over 64OZ of water. Ea battery is showing 6.5-6.6v after being disconnected from the converter of at least 1 hr.
We did use the MH for a 2 day shakedown last week. We were plugged in most of the time but did unplug for over an hr to test the inverter. I never saw battery voltage drop below 12.6 although our solar panels were putting out approx 6 amps.
I plan to check the voltage in the morning along with sp gravity. I was planning to take the batteries to an auto parts store for a load test.
Im trying to decide if these batteries are toast and need to be replaced. If they pass all the test tomorrow, can I trust them or is it a lost cause?
If they get a clean bill of health you can fill them and see how they do I guess?? I would recommend to get one of the battery systems that attach to the top of your battery and you can use a little squeeze bulb to fill them every couple of weeks when your using the RV a lot. I forget what they are called but I got one and they are worth their weight in gold. Just put the end of the hose in a gallon of distilled water and fill your batts to the brim and not muss or fuss with a battery water can and scraped knuckles trying to get in inside those battery compartments to top off the cells. I love mine. Gonna fill mine tomorrow before I head to Oak Island, NC for Veterans Day week!! Bob Trice