Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7829
Air conditioner won't work

I was trying out my air conditioner unit while running my generator and it didn't turn on. I set my thermometer to 60 and air temp 80 ...the fan didn't even come on. I uncovered the thermostat and the fuse appears good . I put two aa batteries in but they really didn't have good contact ... My thermostat is a Coleman-Mach and I have a Thor 2017 four winds ....any ideas why it won't come on, running on generator ? Thanks !

Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Did you check the breaker.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
After checking the breaker, does it come on with the shore power and just not the generator?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Also may need to wait about 2 min after powering up... The thermostats are programmed with a delay to prevent ‘short cycling’ the compressor in event of short power interruption. Can also occur if you slide past cool to fan or heat and back to cool. Leave the thermostat at 60 and see if it comes on after about 2 min.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #5

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
After checking the breaker, does it come on with the shore power and just not the generator?
Was the breaker tripped??

If the breaker was trip it wouldnt work with either. If it was tripped and reset either should work

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

THOR #3156
There is also a breaker on the generator. Do you have power to the mh or just not the ac
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #7

THOR #7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
There is also a breaker on the generator. Do you have power to the mh or just not the ac

I have power to the microwave .... now I am sorry I am so stupid but where is the breaker ....I am not on shore power
Old 07-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #8

THOR #7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

I am only using the generator not any shore power .... I am getting power to the microwave with generator running
Old 07-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #9

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
If you are getting power from your generator to the microwave, then the problem must lie with the AC. First thing to check is the AC breaker which is located in the main 120 box. In my Axis it is underneath the fridge - a rectangular black box. It has the main breaker and 8-10 individual breakers. Your main breaker is working, but you may have tripped the individual AC breaker. If not the next thing to check is your thermostat.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:54 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I dont know much but I like to bounce things around.... sometimes we get lucky with some simple things.

Sound like your genny is working fine if you have microwave power. Did you check the fuse pannel (usually under or near the bed)? Look for the AC breaker, turn off then on to make sure it connects good.

If the AC is not blowing at all (even hot air) the take the 4 to 6 screws out of the ceiling AC cover and see if you have loose wires (but turn off all power to you dont shock yourself on the 4th of July).

If no loose wires at AC then remove thermostat from wall (might do this first since it easier) and see if any loose wires behind it (This is pretty common).

if you want to get real adventurous then remove the roof cover and look for loose connections.

Thats about the extent of my knowledge (i know its not much ).

I find all sorts of little things wrong with my RV and fix them myself ... save lots of time and money in the long run.

I hope this helps.

Oh yeah if your AC was one for a long time it could have iced up.... leave it off for an hour or two then try again??
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:42 AM   #11

THOR #3156
Main electrical panel

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	1562287279303.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	18699Click image for larger version

Name:	1562287306161.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	18700
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #12

THOR #7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Main electrical panel

JerryAttachment 18699Attachment 18700

Wow ! Thanks for the picture! I will check the breaker now I know where to look!Thank you so much !
Old 07-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Had same issue ...., I did switch my factory thermostat with digital Coleman Mach in the winter worked great. Summer here No Air Cond. Couldn't figure out. Switched back to factory thermostat air Working Perfectly... I could not trace wires so took off right side wall in closet. Was is a wiring Cluster @$#&. Closed for another day. Still using analog factory thermostat. Just thought if someone replaced thermostat could be the issue.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #14

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankandjane View Post
I was trying out my air conditioner unit while running my generator and it didn't turn on. I set my thermometer to 60 and air temp 80 ...the fan didn't even come on. I uncovered the thermostat and the fuse appears good . I put two aa batteries in but they really didn't have good contact ... My thermostat is a Coleman-Mach and I have a Thor 2017 four winds ....any ideas why it won't come on, running on generator ? Thanks !

Good morning all. So you confirmed that your Digital Coleman Mac uses batteries which means the batteries operate the micro relays inside the thermostat when you call for heat or cooling (likely not the coach 12vdc like on many analog models). Make sure the batteries are good and make sure they make good contact first. As a test when you call for heat or cooling a micro relay inside the thermostat should click.....do you hear it? If not find out why not because if the appropriate micro relay does not close you will not have heat or cooling unless you actually simulate the appropriate heating or cooling micro relay closing. Then check to make sure you have 12vdc on the R terminal (might be called RC and RH and usually they are strapped together) to B (gnd) terminal. Sometimes the digital thermos don't have a B terminal because some of them use batteries to control the micro relays not the coach 12vdc. If no 12vdc then you need to check why not......it usually comes from the furnace. Check fuses in the thermostat or furnace if no 12vdc on the thermostat. If the thermostat has 12vdc OK then take a short piece of wire and touch R to Y terminals on the thermostat......that should start the air conditioning compressor/blower........"if" the 120VAC is being supplied to the air conditioner. Sounds like you may be also working on that part too. One step at a time....make sure the thermostat is working first, then go after the 120VAC if that is a problem also.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #15

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just to clarify do not short R terminals to B terminal on the thermo (that is 12vdc to ground) or you will be looking for blown fuses. Reading my previous post might give the impression I was saying to do that.....just my poor working.....still working on my first coffee.....with one eye open.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I Have just two simple question for you.....

Did your AC work fine the last time you used your RV?

Did you replace the thermostat since you used the RV the last time the AC was working?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 AM   #17

THOR #7829
Quote:
Wow ! Thanks for the picture! I will check the breaker now I know where to look!Thank you so much !

Thank you for the advice . I turned the main breaker on and off and the AC breaker on and off. Everything works ! Thanks soooo much ....It was interesting that the breakers did not seem to be tripped ! All is well now ! Thank you again!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #18

THOR #3156
Quote:
Thank you for the advice . I turned the main breaker on and off and the AC breaker on and off. Everything works ! Thanks soooo much ....It was interesting that the breakers did not seem to be tripped ! All is well now ! Thank you again!!!
Glad it's working for you now
FMCA # F464385