Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2021, 11:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #23411
Battery Maintenance (newbies, still learning)

We had new batteries installed after we purchased our Axis 24.1 a few months ago. How long would we be able to dry camp/boondock without shore power or generator?

Here’s my scenario… In preparation for a weekend trip I turned the fridge to gas, store/use switch on and in about 24hrs the batteries were VERY low and the generator struggled to crank. I feel like things should be able to run longer than 24hrs or does the fridge draw that much power even in gas mode?

Also, what about battery maintenance? Do I need to check/add water to them?

Old 09-30-2021, 12:09 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
Yes, you have to add distilled water high enough in the cells so the plates in the battery are submerged. Google battery water levels for the correct levels. Also, they will lose charge due to parasitic drain if not charged regularly. How long that charge will last I do not know. But you will have to charge them periodically running your generator or plugging into shore power.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:12 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We use a 180 solar and have boondocked 4 days no generator or shore..
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman1430 View Post
We had new batteries installed after we purchased our Axis 24.1 a few months ago. How long would we be able to dry camp/boondock without shore power or generator?

Here’s my scenario… In preparation for a weekend trip I turned the fridge to gas, store/use switch on and in about 24hrs the batteries were VERY low and the generator struggled to crank. I feel like things should be able to run longer than 24hrs or does the fridge draw that much power even in gas mode?

Also, what about battery maintenance? Do I need to check/add water to them?
Were the new batteries ever fully charged when you had them installed?
What were their State of Charge (SOC) when you started this "Test"?
What other DC loads were running? Interior lights?
What size/capacity were the new batteries?
What type of batteries were the new batteries?

So many unknowns, BUT two new, fully charged, group 27 deep cycle marine batteries with 109 Amp-Hours (at 1 amp rate) each should run the absorption fridge for several days as the control board draws about .5 amp at idle and about 1.5 amp when cooling using propane.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:04 AM   #5

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Everyone with their "first" motorhome purchase goes through this.

There are many, many options. Most likely your motorhome came with the minimum requirement of battery power. If it's a single 12volt flooded lead-acid battery, you won't be doing much boondocking without a struggle. If your motorhome came without solar panels on the roof, your battery is probably trashed... dealers do not take care to keep batteries charged.

I suggest you do a LOT of research about how batteries work in your RV. There are several types... some "maintenance free", some need occasional water added. Prices for a single battery range from under $100 to over $800. Battery banks are rated in available "amp hours". When doing your research, you will discover how to calculate how many amp hours you will need, and the type of batteries that will work best for you.

Keeping those batteries charged plays heavily into your plan... certain types of batteries can be severely damaged by draining them below a certain point. Many people now opt for an appropriately sized solar charging setup.

Do your homework... you will thank yourself for avoiding headaches down the road, and not repeating the same "costly" battery mistakes.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

There are many, many options. Most likely your motorhome came with the minimum requirement of battery power. If it's a single 12volt flooded lead-acid battery, you won't be doing much boondocking without a struggle. If your motorhome came without solar panels on the roof, your battery is probably trashed... dealers do not take care to keep batteries charged.

I suggest you do a LOT of research about how batteries work in your RV. There are several types... some "maintenance free", some need occasional water added. Prices for a single battery range from under $100 to over $800. Battery banks are rated in available "amp hours". When doing your research, you will discover how to calculate how many amp hours you will need, and the type of batteries that will work best for you.

Keeping those batteries charged plays heavily into your plan... certain types of batteries can be severely damaged by draining them below a certain point. Many people now opt for an appropriately sized solar charging setup.

Do your homework... you will thank yourself for avoiding headaches down the road, and not repeating the same "costly" battery mistakes.
You did read the OP where they said "We had new batteries installed after we purchased our Axis 24.1 a few months ago"?

Hopefully they haven't already killed brand new batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:40 AM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You did read the OP where they said "We had new batteries installed after we purchased our Axis 24.1 a few months ago"?

Hopefully they haven't already killed brand new batteries.
Absolutely... that's why I included the part about the importance of not draining certain types of batteries below a certain point - and the importance of a charging plan.

It's disheartening figuring out "care and feeding" of batteries AFTER they have been severely discharged/damaged.

Been there... done that - with a former trailer... before I "learned-up" on those pesky batteries.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:00 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you installed flooded lead acid batteries, you might want to look at a battery hydration system to make it easier to keep the batteries filled with water. There is a dual battery system on Amazon that easily attaches to the two batteries(no more having to remove the individual cell caps to check/fill each one with water). The one I use is the Flow-Rite Qwik-Fill 12 volt double RV battery watering system. If you go that route, you also need to buy the Qwik-Fill hand pump bulb. It is available on Amazon and other sources online.

Paul
Old 09-30-2021, 02:16 AM   #9

THOR #16721
I have two GC2 6volt golf cart batteries. They came with a single lever contraption that allows taking off all three caps in one motion on each battery. I use a plastic turkey baster to add water to them. I check the water about every two weeks, and electrolyte level a couple times a season.

I would LOVE to stick a couple Battle Borns under those steps... but I'd have to start a GoFundMe campaign...
Old 10-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #10

THOR #23411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

Thank you for the feedback. We just returned from a 2 week trip mostly with electrical hookups so everything remained charged and worked as expected during the trip. I do suspect that I may have damaged/depleted the batteries and they may not perform over longer periods of time.

My new question for the group is where to go to learn basic RV electronics? I continue to read these forums and have read a few different articles but what other sources would you all recommend? Thanks to all who have offered information, it is very helpful.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:15 AM   #11

THOR #16721
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. We just returned from a 2 week trip mostly with electrical hookups so everything remained charged and worked as expected during the trip. I do suspect that I may have damaged/depleted the batteries and they may not perform over longer periods of time.

My new question for the group is where to go to learn basic RV electronics? I continue to read these forums and have read a few different articles but what other sources would you all recommend? Thanks to all who have offered information, it is very helpful.
A lot just comes from "life experience". However, there are MANY (nearly endless) resources available today with the internet to help you start your journey.

First, realize your motorhome has two distinct and separate "power systems"... a 12 volt battery sourced direct current (DC) system, and a 120 volt alternating current (AC) - which is somewhat similar to your house.

While it would be impossible here to cover how they both operate and interact, you can Google "RV electrical systems" or something similar to get started. The BEST learning environment (unfortunately) is learning to fix things when they break (and they WILL!)... which applies to about everything in the RV world!

I strongly suggest you start with studying and understanding the different types of batteries available specifically for YOUR motorhome. This will lead you into understanding the world of solar - which is becoming an integral part of RVing.

After you get all set with your batteries (and possibly solar panels), branch out into the rest of the electrical "systems" in your motorhome - understanding how the 12 volt things work, where the fuses are, how the converter works, the difference between a "converter" and "inverter".

Of course, with this forum there are MANY "old salts" with years of experience always ready and willing to lend you a hand!
Old 10-02-2021, 02:15 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
RV electrical

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #13

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
My new question for the group is where to go to learn basic RV electronics?
Hmmmm,
There's the electronics of the leveling system and its faults, electronics of the radio and its camera systems, the inverter, converter, battery isolation monitor.
The list goes on, it's not just the electronics part, it's the electrical parts too.
Then you'll discover the mechanical parts and their faults...
Old 10-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #14

THOR #23411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post

THANKS! I watched that one last night. Very good information.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Pick up a small 2000W Inverter generator and run it a couple hours each evening. Works perfect unless you want A/C.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:15 AM   #16

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Battery Maintenance (newbies, still learning)

The “12 Volt Side of Life” is a very thorough write-up of just about everything you need to know about the 12 volt system in your RV and written at a level that should be accessible for most beginners. I found it helpful at various points in our journey.

Take a look: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

It was written before the recent Lithium surge in popularity, so pretty much only covers various types of lead acid battery chemistry. While much is still applicable to a system with LiFePO4 batteries, there are differences.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #17

THOR #23411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyGeek View Post
The “12 Volt Side of Life” is a very thorough write-up of just about everything you need to know about the 12 volt system in your RV and written at a level that should be accessible for most beginners. I found it helpful at various points in our journey.

Take a look: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

It was written before the recent Lithium surge in popularity, so pretty much only covers various types of lead acid battery chemistry. While much is still applicable to a system with LiFePO4 batteries, there are differences.

Thanks for sharing this!

I realized another element to my frustration in this area. My wife is very interested in learning about the RV, how this work, how to fix the things that don’t work. With the electrical side (AC or DC) I have a broad level of knowledge but there are still questions she has that I cannot answer. It’s nice to have partner engagement I just don’t have all the answers yet.

We are certainly enjoying the process. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #10043
Lots of good advice so far. Just sharing one thing I do before each trip (aside from checking water level in house batteries), is to use a battery load tester - about $30 or $40 - and load check the system before we head out. Helps me to identify health of the system before we head out.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:10 AM   #19

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo73 View Post
Lots of good advice so far. Just sharing one thing I do before each trip (aside from checking water level in house batteries), is to use a battery load tester - about $30 or $40 - and load check the system before we head out. Helps me to identify health of the system before we head out.
To get an idea of the "health" of your flooded lead acid batteries, get a battery hydrometer and periodically check the acid content of the electrolyte. Done correctly, it will reveal dead (or dying) cells in your battery.

There are MANY guides showing proper procedure... and a hydrometer is CHEAP!! Keep one in your toolkit.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #10043
Agreed. Should’ve clarified- that’s what I meant by checking the water level. Check the level & use a hydrometer to check strength