Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Slide glitch

We got home from a 2 week trip, 3 setups and everything as advertised. At home I have an RV barn, covered with full hookups, 50amp. With the Omni you have to be running the engine with parking brake applied to use leveling system and also slides. I backed into the space, leveled the coach but when I one to extend slides, the touch pad control showed the slides "locked". Tried various things, shut down and restart, reset parking brake. Un leveled and re leveled. On the touch pad I went to settings and found the diagnostics page which on one showed an error on the generator relay. Just for grins I started the generator and the "locked slides" symbol went away and slides could be extended.

One time glitch or systematic issue? Supposedly, to my understanding, the generator running isn't a part of the slide and jacks lockout system. I know the reason for running the engine is to ensure adequate voltage to the slide controller, but don't understand why if you are hooked up to shore power that wouldn't be sufficient.

EDIT; when I started the generator, which started right up, the error "dot" went out.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
We got home from a 2 week trip, 3 setups and everything as advertised. At home I have an RV barn, covered with full hookups, 50amp. With the Omni you have to be running the engine with parking brake applied to use leveling system and also slides. I backed into the space, leveled the coach but when I one to extend slides, the touch pad control showed the slides "locked". Tried various things, shut down and restart, reset parking brake. Un leveled and re leveled. On the touch pad I went to settings and found the diagnostics page which on one showed an error on the generator relay. Just for grins I started the generator and the "locked slides" symbol went away and slides could be extended.

One time glitch or systematic issue? Supposedly, to my understanding, the generator running isn't a part of the slide and jacks lockout system. I know the reason for running the engine is to ensure adequate voltage to the slide controller, but don't understand why if you are hooked up to shore power that wouldn't be sufficient.

EDIT; when I started the generator, which started right up, the error "dot" went out.
Sounds like the "Smart" control system isn't as smart as it should be.

RVs have run systems for decades with simple switches which seemed to be reliable and when they weren't, they could easily be troubleshot by the RV user.

But to keep up with the fancy entertainment/control systems in cars nowadays the RV world felt they had to put in these overcomplicated control systems to WOW the technophobes. Trouble is: they can't build the rest of the RV to the same quality standards as the auto industry, why do they think they do any better with these integrated control systems that are impossible to troubleshoot when they have problems?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote