Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #12134
Battery not charging by converter or generator

My 2005 Four Winds Hurricane motor home is not charging the batteries by the converter or generator. The alternater does

Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
First, which battery (or batteries) are not being charged? Second, if it is the house batteries, the USE/STORE switch must be in the USE position.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've read a lot of comments about the "use/store" switch on some models. does anyone know if the Super C's have this switch? I've never seen it anywhere, nor have I not had the unit plugged in for more than 2 or 3 days.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

THOR #12134
House batteries not charging by converter or generator

Where is battery controle center or use switch
Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The store/use switch should be on the switch panel/wall closest to the entry door, where the outside light and entry step are switched. Your patio awning switch and entry lights switch should also be close.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

THOR #12134
Thanks
Old 06-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
This is the exact problem I am having with my house batteries (switch is in the USE position) called dealership --they said I need to replace converter (waitlisted for appointment). I called Thor..was told to check 50amp fuse in house battery compartment (did -it is fine). Wondering if I should be doing more troubleshooting? The recent transfer switch thread had my interest. Plus, if I do replace the converter should I be thinking upgrade? Nancy (Trying to protect my recently replaced house batteries)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Looks like a couple of issues happening here.

For the Hurricane 05, I wonder if your BCC cabinet is located on the drivers side engine compartment? I believe the 2006-2013 Hurricanes may have used a BCC made by RV Custom Products and there is an excellent link to the schematic of this BCC and the very small 50 amp cct breaker that typically needs resetting (inside the BCC on the cct board) to enable the coach and chassis batteries to charge again from the converter (when AC powered from either shore power or generator). Take care when inside the BCC if in fact you have this unit.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/hurr...ct-120145.html

On the Gemini, which I know nothing about either, do any of the 12v fused loads (coach lights for example) work off the output of your converter when the coach batteries are disconnected and you are just plugged into shore or using gen AC power? If yes the converter is OK. I assume you are using a voltmeter to verify no charging voltage to the coach or chassis batteries when the use/store is in use position?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #9

THOR #5922
Thanks javelin, for the suggestion of disconnecting the batteries and seeing if house lights will work while on shore power. Will try that later this weekend. I plan to disconnect them anyways to save them from deep discharge while I'm not driving (alternator is the only charging source). I did locate my transfer switch box behind the drawer but haven't taken the drawer out...

Bit of an update:
I did call Thor customer service again and had lengthy conversation but no recommendations other than see the dealership for troubleshooting problem.
I still want to have the transfer switch wiring checked. So Stopped by the dealership as it was on my way home but no one able to check it. Now I need to leave my Gemini there for a week in JULY....and that is if all goes well:-(
Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #10

THOR #5922
Charging problem

My problem charging problem resolved:
Turned out my intellitec battery disconnect solenoid had failed (18 months of operation) and needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, I had deep discharged my batteries several times before discovering that they were not taking a charge while on shore or generator. This is my first non-warranty item and it cost around $1,000 with the replacement batteries, the diagnostics and the eventual repair. The good news is that the dealership had me in and out in under a week in early July. Planning to test it all this coming week while off the grid camping….
Nancy
(I posted this message on 2 threads as I was looking for a solution to my problem on both;-)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #11

THOR #12134
Thanks for the information. My problem is partially solved. I still don't have the 13.6 v at the storage batteries that the new converter is putting out but the batteries always show about 12.5v. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #12

THOR #2631
Hurricane05 you say you replaced the converter, but the batteries are measuring only 12.5 volts. A fully charged battery should be approx 12.6 volts (unloaded) and when charging should read at least 13.1 or more volts on your voltmeter (converters have different voltage charging modes depending on battery charge requirements and design). Sounds like you still have an open breaker/connection between coach batteries and converter. Have you determined if you have the Battery Control box (BCC) located in the engine compartment per my previous post? Many Hurricane coaches use it and usually the grey mini 50 amp cct breaker inside has tripped open. You can reset the cct breaker by pushing in the small button on the cct breaker which should reconnect your converter to the batteries. You can remove the lid from the BCC but be careful when inside because this is the hub of many power cables and fuses for the coach. If you dont have the BCC then I am not sure what your 05 Hurricane uses to tie batteries to the converter. By the way, your use/store switch must be in use mode for converter to charge batteries....just in case it ws accidently turned off.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
My problem charging problem resolved:
Glad to hear that you're back up to 100%
Sorry to hear that it wasn't a cheap fix!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I've read a lot of comments about the "use/store" switch on some models. does anyone know if the Super C's have this switch?
They've got one in there somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The store/use switch should be on the switch panel/wall closest to the entry door, where the outside light and entry step are switched.
That's where ours is! Right next to this stuff!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1531662690
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	11470  
Old 07-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
I've read a lot of comments about the "use/store" switch on some models. does anyone know if the Super C's have this switch? I've never seen it anywhere, nor have I not had the unit plugged in for more than 2 or 3 days.

We will have a walk through (hopefully later this week) and I’ll make sure to ask. Also, since you have had yours for a while, is there a way to keep the electric step out when parked?
Old 07-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #16

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #10879
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
We will have a walk through (hopefully later this week) and I’ll make sure to ask. Also, since you have had yours for a while, is there a way to keep the electric step out when parked?
I found out that there is a Step switch by the store/use button that when toggled will turn the power to the step off, leaving the step out.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
...Or even leave it up!
So look: before you leap!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #18

THOR #2631
Hurricane Battery Disconnect - iRV2 Forums

This hyperlink used to provide a link to a pdf document schematic and troubleshooting info on the RV Custom Product BCC.......scan down the page until you find the link. If you are going to venture into the BCC with a voltmeter be extremely careful......if you are not electrically competent you may do some nasty and expensive unintentional welding. Hope that link still works for you.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #19

THOR #2631
Hurricane Battery Disconnect - iRV2 Forums

Try this link (scroll down the posts for it) which has a schematic and troubleshoot info on the RV Custom BCC.....hope the link still works. If you are not electrically experienced going into the BCC can result in unintentional electrical welding and very expensive repairs.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #20

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:

I did verify this on the walkthrough. This is right next to the step switch and the inverter control. It is called, I believe, the master switch and is illuminated red when turned on.