Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
Posts: 67
THOR #12227
Battery not holding charge

Hi all ... we have 2016 Vegas 24.1 with 35K miles on it. The last few days the chassis battery has been dead on me and I have had to use the emergency start on the dash to get going. The battery is very hard to get at and I may have to replace. But I cannot tell if it is a battery I have to maintain with distilled water or not. Does anyone know? I maintain the coach batteries and have not thought about the chassis battery. So bad me. Anyway, thanks for any assistance.
PS. All Thor had to do was put a storage door under the passenger window and we could easily access the battery. But no, they want you to cut a hole in the dash. Argh

__________________
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 837
THOR #1123
Battery not holding charge

The OEM battery is a lead acid battery which requires a check of the levels occasionally and adding distilled water. This can be done rather easily with a Flowrite battery system that can be purchased thru Amazon.

My chassis battery was replaced a couple of years back by turning the wheels all the way to the right and removing the cover over the wheel. Took a couple of people to do it this way but is do-able.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
macdaddy1111's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 400
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle View Post
Hi all ... we have 2016 Vegas 24.1 with 35K miles on it. The last few days the chassis battery has been dead on me and I have had to use the emergency start on the dash to get going. The battery is very hard to get at and I may have to replace. But I cannot tell if it is a battery I have to maintain with distilled water or not. Does anyone know? I maintain the coach batteries and have not thought about the chassis battery. So bad me. Anyway, thanks for any assistance.
PS. All Thor had to do was put a storage door under the passenger window and we could easily access the battery. But no, they want you to cut a hole in the dash. Argh
had the same rig, battery probably crapped out, thor doesn't use high in ones, take off passenger side table top, finish cutting out access panel, and can get to battery. 6 to 8 screws hold table top down.

I made some metal slats to secure plywood cover back to dash. then used metal tape to cover over seams and signed my name! MacDaddy Was here! HA

oh, don't forget to zip tie your cables together before un bolting them.
__________________
Retired Squid who has a retired squid that drives him around in a RV!
macdaddy1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,818
THOR #6903
You certainly want a sealed or an AGM for the replacement, good luck
__________________
lwmcguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,102
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
had the same rig, battery probably crapped out, thor doesn't use high in ones, take off passenger side table top, finish cutting out access panel, and can get to battery. 6 to 8 screws hold table top down.

I made some metal slats to secure plywood cover back to dash. then used metal tape to cover over seams and signed my name! MacDaddy Was here! HA

oh, don't forget to zip tie your cables together before un bolting them.
Thor does not supply the chassis battery Ford does. It is under a Ford warranty. It doesn't last long because of self-discharge. The longer a flooded battery sits with some discharge the shorter the life.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
Posts: 67
THOR #12227
Thanks for the replies. Given the location of the battery it is difficult to see it has cells to top up. There appears to be a flat plate of some sort that might pop off to reveal and access the cells. Unlike the coach batteries where it is obvious.
Good thing we have the emergency start button on the dash.
Cheers all.
__________________
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
Posts: 6,431
THOR #1469
2016 coach with batteries you are not aware require maintenance, the batteries are toast so go out and buy a new one.

Has anyone ever cleaned the battery cables and terminals? If not spring for new ones as well.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #8
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
Posts: 67
THOR #12227
I was able to get a good charge on it over night while camping and will deal with it when I get home. Thanks for all the help ... replacement time with a good quality one.
__________________
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,643
THOR #11781
5 year old OEM chassis battery means it's time for a new one.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
Posts: 117
THOR #18202
After hearing all the stories about battery access on the Axis, I went ahead and opened up the access panel under the passenger side "desk". This way I can see the water levels and do routine maintenance from inside the cabin. It is not a big deal. The battery is pushing five years and under 20k miles so I am watching it closely.
__________________
Bill in Redlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.4
State: California
Posts: 170
THOR #7440
I got a good laugh out of a YouTube video of changing out the battery on the Thor Axis by removing the right side top of dash and the plywood cutout under the dash, I added some aluminum angle to it and now it goes back in with a few screws, its also the best way to add oil if you do your own oil changes
__________________
BASSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #12
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 55
THOR #19360
I have a 2018 Thor Vegas and second the reply from Bassman. Go to You tube and type in "how do you replace a battery in a Thor Vegas RV. There are at least 3 videos showing how to do it. Still not an easy task but doable.

Alajeu
__________________
alajeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #13
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
Posts: 67
THOR #12227
Re Battery being done ...
Replaced it after returning from our trip. Although the process of going through the dash is a pain, once all done I found it quite easy to do. I did have to reroute some hoses permanently to keep them out of the way. And I was able to get it out and then on my own. Thor could have easily placed a storage door on the outside so it was dead simple to get out. But I guess that would have cost them a few extra dollars. Oh well.

On another note. It is my understanding that when the unit is plugged into shore power, it will charge my chassis battery so I don't have to put it on a trickle charger. Is that correct? And regardless is it better for the battery to have it on a trickle charge while stored? In my case this time will be 6 months.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Cheers
Carle
__________________
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,102
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle View Post
Re Battery being done ...
Replaced it after returning from our trip. Although the process of going through the dash is a pain, once all done I found it quite easy to do. I did have to reroute some hoses permanently to keep them out of the way. And I was able to get it out and then on my own. Thor could have easily placed a storage door on the outside so it was dead simple to get out. But I guess that would have cost them a few extra dollars. Oh well.

On another note. It is my understanding that when the unit is plugged into shore power, it will charge my chassis battery so I don't have to put it on a trickle charger. Is that correct? And regardless is it better for the battery to have it on a trickle charge while stored? In my case this time will be 6 months.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Cheers
Carle
Correct. The coach's charger SHOULD charge all the batteries IF the use/store (master power) switch is in the use/on position. If you are not sure, please check the chassis battery and the house batteries' voltage with a voltmeter. If the chassis battery charging, the voltage will read greater than 13.0 volts. If the chassis battery is less than 13.0 volts the chassis battery is NOT being charged.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #15
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
Posts: 67
THOR #12227
Thanks
__________________
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 21,733
THOR #8860
Congratulations on getting it changed-out.
I keep my coach batteries charged with shorepower, and the chassis battery gets hooked up to a solar battery charger panel.
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2