Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Colorado
THOR #3517
Battery Question

Just took delivery of a 2016 ACE 30.2 and removed the two house batteries for winter storage as recommended by my dealer. I have two questions as a first-time RV owner that I forgot to ask the dealer:

1. Can other members here recommend a battery charger to keep the batteries charged over the winter at my home. The only identification on the batteries is D27DC-160.

2. I've read on the forums and in the manual that I should run the engine and generator monthly but was wondering if I will be able to start the generator without reconnecting the batteries.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Old 01-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Check out Battery Tender brand chargers. I use them for PWC batteries, they work great as they use smart charge technology. If you remove the coach batteries, I'm not sure if the chassis battery will still start the Genny. If you remove the batteries, you may want to winterized the Genny, run fuel stabilizer thru it and spray a fogger into the carb.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #3

THOR #3517
Thank you!
Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #3374
I agree with Brian on battery tender.

As the genny goes, I put a blue seas battery switch in my coach so I could start the genny from either the house battery or the chassi battery. I got the one that did not have the combine feature so I could never make the mistake of combining the two batteries together.

the part number was 11001
Old 01-19-2016, 03:07 AM   #5

THOR #3517
Thanks Kirby. Can you provide a bit more detail about how you installed the switch? I'm a complete novice but it sounds like your setup would be ideal for me during the winter storage months and to prevent having to drag the batteries out and install them each time I want to run the generator.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
THOR #3195
Why do you want to take them out. If you are storing your motorhome at your stick house, then why not leave them in and plug your motorhome in.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:03 AM   #7

THOR #3517
The RV is stored outdoors in a storage facility and due to our routine below freezing temps in Colorado I was advised to remove the house batteries to prevent them from freezing and shortening their lifespan when stored for the winter months.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

THOR #3374
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACE30.2 View Post
Thanks Kirby. Can you provide a bit more detail about how you installed the switch? I'm a complete novice but it sounds like your setup would be ideal for me during the winter storage months and to prevent having to drag the batteries out and install them each time I want to run the generator.
I disconnected the battery cable that went from the generator to the house battery, at the battery. i connected this cable to the output terminal on the blue seas switch. I added a cable from the house battery to input #1 on the blue seas switch, this cable was 12 inches long. i added another cable from the emergency start silonoid (which goes to the chassis battery) to input # 2 on the blue seas switch, this cable was 24 inches long. I mounted the switch above the house batteries.

I always leave the switch in the #1 position unless i need to start the genset from the chassis battery. Plus i always start the engine first, before i try to start the genset , so as to not run down the chassis battery.

A NOTE OF CAUTION. In your situation, when the genset starts, the battery cables that you disconnected to store your batteries will become hot. So you will want to make sure they are not touching anything. I would insulate them by using electrical tape or rubber caps or something like that.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Since we are on house batteries and I need to replace mine, I am thinking about going to a gel type battery which I hear they do not freeze. Anyone know anything about gels?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Since we are on house batteries and I need to replace mine, I am thinking about going to a gel type battery which I hear they do not freeze. Anyone know anything about gels?
You might want to contact the WFCO folks and verify your model converter can adequately charge gel batteries.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

THOR #3374
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
I would also like to see a thread on this subject. I have heard that our converters will not properly charge a gel cell battery, but that might just be a rumor.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
I would also like to see a thread on this subject. I have heard that our converters will not properly charge a gel cell battery, but that might just be a rumor.
There is some good info at this link.

BatteryStuff Articles | Compare and Contrast Between AGM and Gel Batteries
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #13

THOR #3374
thank you Dave
Old 01-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 23U
THOR #992
I may have had some confusion on Gel/AGM I thought they where the same sounds like from Dave's information that AGM is the way to go if you want to spend the money.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
THOR #3195
Even a flooded battery will not freeze in our cold climates as long as they have a good charge. That being said do they make 6v batteries that are over 200 ah with gel technology.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Even a flooded battery will not freeze in our cold climates as long as they have a good charge. That being said do they make 6v batteries that are over 200 ah with gel technology.
The largest I have seen is Trojan's 6 volt 189 AH gel battery. The price is around 320.00 per battery.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The largest I have seen is Trojan's 6 volt 189 AH gel battery. The price is around 320.00 per battery.
I used AGM batteries in my sail boats for many years. The fact that the batteries were tilted 30 degrees lots of the time and the tremendous pounding the boat and batteries took in open ocean racing destroyed regular batteries. The AGMs are much superior. That being said, they are also very pricey. My 114 AH 29's from Walmat set me back $200. Comparable AH deep cycle AGMs would put you back two or three times that.

Will the AGMs last twice as long? Maybe. Will they provide better, carefree service - most probably. If you plan to keep your RV for 5-6 more years, AGMs might make some sense. For my boats, I rationalized the considerable extra cost of the AGMs because of their durability and because it was difficult to find a replacement battery 150 miles from home in the ocean.. I have not been able to rationalize the extra cost in my RVs.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #18

Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACE30.2 View Post
The RV is stored outdoors in a storage facility and due to our routine below freezing temps in Colorado I was advised to remove the house batteries to prevent them from freezing and shortening their lifespan when stored for the winter months.
If you plan on exercising the Gen set once a month I would leave the batteries in. The dealers don't remove them and they sit on the lot over winter
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #19

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
THOR #2847
Absorbed Glass Matte Or “AGM” Batteries are the latest and greatest in lead-acid batteries. An AGM battery uses a separator consisting of fiberglass between the plate and wrappers to hold the electrolyte in its place with capillary action. Combining the lead plates, electrolyte, and fiber glass separation fibers in a confined space, AGM batteries create a “physical bond” by way of capillary action. Similar to how water creeps up a towel when it is put in a bathtub. This capillary action holds the liquid inside the glass matting, making the AGM Battery “spill proof” if it is ever exposed. Due to the tight packing of an AGM battery, it is also the most impact resistant, and boasts the least internal resistance. The lower internal resistance increases the output voltage, decreases charging time, and reduces losses to heat as power flows through the system. AGM Batteries then bring the trump card to the table, they are maintenance free. Premium AGM batteries recombine the gases produced internally, back into liquid. This recombination makes the AGM battery maintenance free. No acid leaks, no mess while charging, no corrosion on surrounding parts. You plug in these batteries and walk away. AGM batteries can do anything that flooded and GEL batteries can do, just better.

AGM is my choice!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Absorbed Glass Matte Or “AGM” Batteries are the latest and greatest in lead-acid batteries. An AGM battery uses a separator consisting of fiberglass between the plate and wrappers to hold the electrolyte in its place with capillary action. Combining the lead plates, electrolyte, and fiber glass separation fibers in a confined space, AGM batteries create a “physical bond” by way of capillary action. Similar to how water creeps up a towel when it is put in a bathtub. This capillary action holds the liquid inside the glass matting, making the AGM Battery “spill proof” if it is ever exposed. Due to the tight packing of an AGM battery, it is also the most impact resistant, and boasts the least internal resistance. The lower internal resistance increases the output voltage, decreases charging time, and reduces losses to heat as power flows through the system. AGM Batteries then bring the trump card to the table, they are maintenance free. Premium AGM batteries recombine the gases produced internally, back into liquid. This recombination makes the AGM battery maintenance free. No acid leaks, no mess while charging, no corrosion on surrounding parts. You plug in these batteries and walk away. AGM batteries can do anything that flooded and GEL batteries can do, just better.

AGM is my choice!
I agree! If you have unlimited funds, they are the best. I also would rather have a Ferrari than my Miata. The only question is "are they really worth the money to you."