Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6892
Battery replacement

I have a 2017 Axis 25.4 and after exactly a year, the house batteries are shot. I was told at the dealership that the batteries that come with the RV are bad and don't last long. They can't hold a charge for more than About 15 hours of dry camping. So looking for a replacement, any recommendations?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #2

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
go to the trojan battery web site or interstate battery web site and look for the size and power level you want
Old 05-20-2018, 01:04 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Deep cycle or Golf cart versions are your best bet.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:25 AM   #4

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_kay View Post
I have a 2017 Axis 25.4 and after exactly a year, the house batteries are shot. I was told at the dealership that the batteries that come with the RV are bad and don't last long. They can't hold a charge for more than About 15 hours of dry camping. So looking for a replacement, any recommendations?
RV Batteries I need to have their water checked fairly often. Car batteries don't need this. Lots of writing about this in this forum. Oh yeah, I learned the hard way about this.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
Strongly recommend 6 Volt Deep Cycle Golf Cart batteries for House bank - it takes 2 6V to replace each 12V, but definitely worth it. I also recommend going with AGM as they are maintenance free and tolerate vibrations better; however, charging profile is slightly different so you may have to replace chassis battery with AGM (12V) as well. Expensive proposition until you factor in longevity and power availability advantages. Also adds more weight.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Sealed or AGM batteries are considerably more expensive. I have never minded having "wet" batteries in my RVs or boats. I check them once a month and add water as needed plus it gives me a chance to make sure everything else is good in that compartment.

A couple golf cart batteries would certainly give you more power longer. Make sure they are hooked up correctly and your house charging system is good to go with them.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Sealed or AGM batteries are considerably more expensive. I have never minded having "wet" batteries in my RVs or boats. I check them once a month and add water as needed plus it gives me a chance to make sure everything else is good in that compartment.

A couple golf cart batteries would certainly give you more power longer. Make sure they are hooked up correctly and your house charging system is good to go with them.
Yeah, hard way to learn this but the lugs connecting to the posts are Red. The plastic covering for all the cables is Black. So take a pix of the top of the batteries before you start and after you take off the bunch of cables from the post, zip tie them together. Tape colored tape around the plastic covering for pos or negative ident, then go to the one next. Make sure each bunch of cables is zip tied to each other when removed and color coded taped on the plastic. And for those that missed doing that (me), peal the plastic covering back and the cables will be RED or Black for which cable is pos or neg. All this moving around with something heavy will probably trip the 100 A C/B just above the battery. When you are down there you might want to check the 50 amp C/B, the 5 amp fuse, the 250 amp fuse on the back wall and to the side of the hydraulic pump, is a 15 amp fuse as well. Check for loose connections in that area and put that battery preserver stuff on the terminals. Might as well check the pump resorvoir too and what I do is to remove it and lay it on a paper towel to see how high the fluid is on the stick. Can't see it otherwise. Those Coleman camp stoves are a good work bench here
Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Replacement

We have a 2016 Axis and replaced all of our batteries already. You do not need two six volt batts for each of your 12 volts. We replaced our house batteries with two AGM six volt LifeLine batteries. On the 24.1 we had them mounted on their sides because the six volt batteries are taller.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6892
Thanks for all the help. Water levels are good on these batteries, they are just crap "no name" batteries and are just bad I guess. Will research which one to buy today.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_kay View Post
Thanks for all the help. Water levels are good on these batteries, they are just crap "no name" batteries and are just bad I guess. Will research which one to buy today.
I like the Crown 6 volt golf cart batteries. I had a pair on my last rig. Had the rig seven years and traded it for a new rig. The Crowns lasted all seven years and were still going strong when I traded the rig.