Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #1177
Battery Replacement Question

i have to replace 2 house batteries on 2013 challenger gt37
are these 6 or 12 volt. any recommendations of replacement?

Old 07-01-2021, 11:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
How many holes are in each battery to water them. You have been watering them over the last 7 years?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:47 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
6 holes: 12 volts
3 holes: 6 volts
What size are they?
Old 07-02-2021, 02:31 AM   #4

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
6 holes: 12 volts
3 holes: 6 volts
What size are they?
My golf scores?

3 holes 6volts = 18
6 holes 12 volts = 36
9 holes 24 volts = 54
18 holes 48 volts = 108

OP may wish to take a few pictures to see what they have? I say go with the Duracell AGM batteries if trying to get great battery but at lowest cost (app. $360). But the best value is Pure AGM Deep Cycle ($550 - 600)

Pass on Lithium's as being way too expensive, unless you are in need for some real serious battery power. i.e. to run a residential fridge all day
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
With golf scores like that: guess who is buying the beer?
Old 07-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
With golf scores like that: guess who is buying the beer?
As long as you help me go find my golf balls, I will buy the beer. My scores are only that bad because I have issues with my clubs, they don't handle the natural balance of my swing; nor do they adjust for any inherent variability. But that is not important, I ALWAYS have cold beer in both fridges and thus why I recommend the OP to buy the below batteries that I view as the all around best choice for today assuming you do not care to have to water batteries, or do not intend to long term boondock with a residential fridge on, or when visiting RV owners that do not have or appreciate the value of 50 amps services at their home ports for my rig.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR125-12V...tery_p_38.html

Call them direct, buy 2 & you may catch an unpublished sale or just buy off Amazon if you in a hurry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TSR61H8N&psc=1
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think I found your next set of clubs...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
I think I found your next set of clubs...
I will have to try the 12 gauge club and the laser putter

If I had a $1 for ever golf ball I lost while trying to chip up on the green You would think the golf designers would move the lakes and those sandy beer stations away from the greens
But no worries, I hit the sandy beer stations every time anyway.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
As long as you help me go find my golf balls, I will buy the beer. My scores are only that bad because I have issues with my clubs, they don't handle the natural balance of my swing; nor do they adjust for any inherent variability. But that is not important, I ALWAYS have cold beer in both fridges and thus why I recommend the OP to buy the below batteries that I view as the all around best choice for today assuming you do not care to have to water batteries, or do not intend to long term boondock with a residential fridge on, or when visiting RV owners that do not have or appreciate the value of 50 amps services at their home ports for my rig.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR125-12V...tery_p_38.html

Call them direct, buy 2 & you may catch an unpublished sale or just buy off Amazon if you in a hurry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TSR61H8N&psc=1
I bought two 6-volt GC2 Duracell golf cart batteries at Sam's Club for $89 each. Each has 215 AH, wired in series gives me roughly 107 AH useable (1/2 battery capacity) at 12 volts.
I call $180 a fantastic deal for that capacity. If I had room, I'd double up to 4 batteries for 214 AH. I don't think there's a better deal anywhere than $360 for 200+ AH... Lead-acid is 100 year old technology, but still hangs around like utility poles. They're still the overwhelming choice in power backup systems because of its time tested reliability.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I bought two 6-volt GC2 Duracell golf cart batteries at Sam's Club for $89 each. Each has 215 AH, wired in series gives me roughly 107 AH useable (1/2 battery capacity) at 12 volts.
I call $180 a fantastic deal for that capacity. If I had room, I'd double up to 4 batteries for 214 AH. I don't think there's a better deal anywhere than $360 for 200+ AH... Lead-acid is 100 year old technology, but still hangs around like utility poles. They're still the overwhelming choice in power backup systems because of its time tested reliability.
Upfront, I am a believer that quality is defined for fitness of use. Each person has different needs from a battery, but let me tell you why I did not go the way you suggest.

#1. The only reason I wanted new batteries was to get rid of the requirement to water the batteries. Do your GCs require water? If so, it is not a fantastic deal for me, it is/was nonstarter for me. I gave away 2 brand new OEM NAPA FLA batteries because I could no longer take it trying to get 2 or 3 years out of them

#2. I went from 65 AH supposedly available at 50% on my OEM FLA (more like 40AH in actual usage) to 125 ah available at 50%. After a month or two, I realized that I don't need 125 ah based on my most extreme conditions of how I use my batteries, so I have reprogrammed my AGS to cycle my batteries when 60% is still available about 12.5vdc

#3 Despite #2 125 ah being more than I need, it is better to have than the 107 ah over your 6vDC GCs.

#4 I don't know if your GC would even fit my compartment, if they did they would be taller and more likely to make catastrophic error and touch something because I am not a professional, I can and will make mistakes. But a bigger item for me on the battery physical design is the fact that the Pure AGM Deep Cycle do not have the automotive posts, even less risk of doing some major damage.

#5 My Vmax Tanks batteries are rated 8 - 10 years, I will take 6 because that is likely when I move to lithium. The fact that I was willing to dispose of good dual purpose FLA to get these Pure AGM Deep Cycle is proof that I will pull the trigger to get what I need or "fitness for my use" These batteries can cycle 3 times more than FLA.

#6 The only reason I don't own a ACE 29.3 is because a brand new OEM FLA battery in a brand new 2019 29.3 Battery exploded in the battery compartment on the Dealer's lot!!!!. They tried to clean it up, but could not get rid of the rust and corrosion that was on the hydraulic pump system, the floor and the entire compartment.

#7 For me, I don't want FLA period, even if the 2 6vdc FLA GCs were given to me free; I would dump them like I did my OEM NAPA Dual Purpose Deep Cycles.

#8 Because I was open minded, I checked for ANY 6vDC GC that was NOT FLA, but maintenance free and pure AGM. I found a few at ridicules cost but non that came close to the 125ah available capacity I have at 50%. Even VMax tank Engineering told me for my RV application; the SLR125 I was looking to buy would serve me better than their own Pure AGM 6vdc GC battery https://www.vmaxtanks.com/V6-225-6Vo...ery-_p_48.html When they told me that... along with a discount from published price, free shipping, incredible delivery speed and packaging I was convinced. Both batteries came in with 13 vdc plus right out the box

#9 so unless you have lithium, I can go toe to toe with anyone as far longevity goes, but I can make a point that even lithium would do me no good right now. You see I use to worry about getting through the night before the generator would need to come on, I was only getting about 8 hrs off my batteries, so quiet time was a challenge; so I would turn some things off. Now I can go 24 hours. But I don't need to because my AGS turns my genset on every evening 2 hours before quiet time to top off my batteries. It works great. This point flies in the face of Lithium users who have spent $ thousands who crow about going down to 10% SOC,... Even if I had Lithium's theoretical available capacity today; my actual demand would not change because I am already running all I need without worry The only benefit could be that maybe I could go 2 full days before the recharge is required? But then I would not be able to use my Quiet time feature on my AGS because it will turn on every night anyway in it's design attempt to make sure the batteries are at 100% BEFORE quiet time begins.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We will be upgrading from size 27 FLA batteries; to size 31 AGMs for the same reason that D mentioned...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Please recognize that there FLA batteries that are sealed and require no watering. AGM is simply one family member of valve regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries which have been made since the mid 1970's. The fiberglass mats that up valuable space in a battery; therefore an AGM type battery will have less usable amp-h than a flooded battery of equal size. The calcium used is strengthening the lead plates of water-less batteries reduces the capacity of the plates when compared to antimony alloy plates. The advantages of AGM battery are ruggedness and ability to mount in any orientation since the acid is in gel form. Battery choice is as an individual choice as choosing a life pardner. There is no best choice, nor is there one best choice for a particular application. Deep cycle AGMs only make since if you are going to keep the coach for 8 years or more or you need a trolling motor battery in your bass boat.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #13

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Upfront, I am a believer that quality is defined for fitness of use. Each person has different needs from a battery, but let me tell you why I did not go the way you suggest.

#1. The only reason I wanted new batteries was to get rid of the requirement to water the batteries. Do your GCs require water? If so, it is not a fantastic deal for me, it is/was nonstarter for me. I gave away 2 brand new OEM NAPA FLA batteries because I could no longer take it trying to get 2 or 3 years out of them

#2. I went from 65 AH supposedly available at 50% on my OEM FLA (more like 40AH in actual usage) to 125 ah available at 50%. After a month or two, I realized that I don't need 125 ah based on my most extreme conditions of how I use my batteries, so I have reprogrammed my AGS to cycle my batteries when 60% is still available about 12.5vdc

#3 Despite #2 125 ah being more than I need, it is better to have than the 107 ah over your 6vDC GCs.

#4 I don't know if your GC would even fit my compartment, if they did they would be taller and more likely to make catastrophic error and touch something because I am not a professional, I can and will make mistakes. But a bigger item for me on the battery physical design is the fact that the Pure AGM Deep Cycle do not have the automotive posts, even less risk of doing some major damage.

#5 My Vmax Tanks batteries are rated 8 - 10 years, I will take 6 because that is likely when I move to lithium. The fact that I was willing to dispose of good dual purpose FLA to get these Pure AGM Deep Cycle is proof that I will pull the trigger to get what I need or "fitness for my use" These batteries can cycle 3 times more than FLA.

#6 The only reason I don't own a ACE 29.3 is because a brand new OEM FLA battery in a brand new 2019 29.3 Battery exploded in the battery compartment on the Dealer's lot!!!!. They tried to clean it up, but could not get rid of the rust and corrosion that was on the hydraulic pump system, the floor and the entire compartment.

#7 For me, I don't want FLA period, even if the 2 6vdc FLA GCs were given to me free; I would dump them like I did my OEM NAPA Dual Purpose Deep Cycles.

#8 Because I was open minded, I checked for ANY 6vDC GC that was NOT FLA, but maintenance free and pure AGM. I found a few at ridicules cost but non that came close to the 125ah available capacity I have at 50%. Even VMax tank Engineering told me for my RV application; the SLR125 I was looking to buy would serve me better than their own Pure AGM 6vdc GC battery https://www.vmaxtanks.com/V6-225-6Vo...ery-_p_48.html When they told me that... along with a discount from published price, free shipping, incredible delivery speed and packaging I was convinced. Both batteries came in with 13 vdc plus right out the box

#9 so unless you have lithium, I can go toe to toe with anyone as far longevity goes, but I can make a point that even lithium would do me no good right now. You see I use to worry about getting through the night before the generator would need to come on, I was only getting about 8 hrs off my batteries, so quiet time was a challenge; so I would turn some things off. Now I can go 24 hours. But I don't need to because my AGS turns my genset on every evening 2 hours before quiet time to top off my batteries. It works great. This point flies in the face of Lithium users who have spent $ thousands who crow about going down to 10% SOC,... Even if I had Lithium's theoretical available capacity today; my actual demand would not change because I am already running all I need without worry The only benefit could be that maybe I could go 2 full days before the recharge is required? But then I would not be able to use my Quiet time feature on my AGS because it will turn on every night anyway in it's design attempt to make sure the batteries are at 100% BEFORE quiet time begins.

If I change from lead acid to these would I have to change anything else in 2016 axis with original lead acid batteries. Thanks I liked your reasoning
Old 07-02-2021, 07:37 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Please recognize that there FLA batteries that are sealed and require no watering. AGM is simply one family member of valve regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries which have been made since the mid 1970's. The fiberglass mats that up valuable space in a battery; therefore an AGM type battery will have less usable amp-h than a flooded battery of equal size. The calcium used is strengthening the lead plates of water-less batteries reduces the capacity of the plates when compared to antimony alloy plates. The advantages of AGM battery are ruggedness and ability to mount in any orientation since the acid is in gel form. Battery choice is as an individual choice as choosing a life pardner. There is no best choice, nor is there one best choice for a particular application. Deep cycle AGMs only make since if you are going to keep the coach for 8 years or more or you need a trolling motor battery in your bass boat.
I think the first thing I said. I am a believer that quality is defined for fitness of use. Each person has different needs from a battery, but let me tell you why I did not go the way you suggest.

While it is too late to change what I bought, I did a lot of research. What is your best choice, provide a link for OP as he / she was asking for recommendations. I don't think anyone actually did; so I shared my choice and why.

My batteries are designed for Solar Applications. The Dual purpose batteries I had were actually design dual purpose, which I did NOT want. According to a Battery Manufactures who makes all kinds of batteries, they specified the batteries I have now are design for RV deep cycle use. They will never be used for cranking short an emergency start if my FLA chassis battery dies
Old 07-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
If I change from lead acid to these would I have to change anything else in 2016 axis with original lead acid batteries. Thanks I liked your reasoning
Very good question. The reason I spoke with Vmax Engineering was to find out what you asked Basically all they wanted to know was what type of converter I had which is Progressive Dynamics. They said I was good due to the intelligent program that automatically knows how to feed the right voltage based on how you are actually using the coach. They biggest fear of new buyer is improper charging. You might call them. I was surprised how they came to the phone. Enough so that I bought from them direct versus Amazon ( it was cheaper too).

Hindsight is 20/20, but knowing what I have learned, these batteries would have been the 1st thing I changed to get the maximum life out of. But then I never would have learned how much I hated watering the batteries, the acid on my concrete and corrosion in the compartment of my new pricey RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_201915.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	31777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_154050.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	31778  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_160259.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	31779   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210420_202753.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	31780  

Old 07-02-2021, 11:21 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Great points! I think the key phrase would be "fitness for purpose". I also definitely agree it's a personal choice.

My priority was based on an overall cost vs benefit equation - which is different depending on needs and personal preference. I have VERY simple - and low amperage - needs. I simply wanted guaranteed amps (accomplished by rooftop solar) from batteries that are ALWAYS charged. AND... I'm a cheapskate

Lots of guides on this subject say to first define your energy needs (amp hours). Then I would say next to define your tolerance for maintenance. Based on these criteria, make an educated purchase within your budget.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #17

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have dealt with battery acid corrosion 65 years or so

Cable's are as much an issue as carbon steel corrosion

Poor connections due to the terminals is aggravated by acid vapors

I don’t need extra maintenance items

I like AGM and until Lithium drops significantly that will be the choice
Old 07-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: when the lithium batteries are less of a mystery, and more affordable:
Until then: I spell relief, "AGM".
Old 07-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Great points! I think the key phrase would be "fitness for purpose". I also definitely agree it's a personal choice.

My priority was based on an overall cost vs benefit equation - which is different depending on needs and personal preference. I have VERY simple - and low amperage - needs. I simply wanted guaranteed amps (accomplished by rooftop solar) from batteries that are ALWAYS charged. AND... I'm a cheapskate

Lots of guides on this subject say to first define your energy needs (amp hours). Then I would say next to define your tolerance for maintenance. Based on these criteria, make an educated purchase within your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I have dealt with battery acid corrosion 65 years or so

Cable's are as much an issue as carbon steel corrosion

Poor connections due to the terminals is aggravated by acid vapors

I don’t need extra maintenance items

I like AGM and until Lithium drops significantly that will be the choice
Yes sir, I don't have near your experience, but I am 100% in your camp with what little I know. I have a ton of things to do to maintain my RV, dealing with battery maintenance is NOT one of them for me ANYMORE. When the time comes, I may even switch the Chassis to AGM but it has not been anywhere near as problematic as the House batteries .

Quote:
I agree: when the lithium batteries are less of a mystery, and more affordable:
Until then: I spell relief, "AGM".
Spellung iz veri important wind it cums to batteri manienace. I have tried to lickthemym batteries and I difd not get a very good tasste. The flud led acid is deadly; so it leeves the only way to spell relief is.... A G M.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #20
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
I am definitely in the AGM bandwagon as well currently. I absolutely cannot stand wet batteries anymore. Since I have had a few Odyssey batteries last over 15 years, pretty much in the past decade I have been switching over to them whenever I had to buy a new battery.

Now, I don't go out of my way to swap a good wet cell right away .. but if I ever have to buy a new one, I tend to go with Odyssey AGMs.

I was able to fit two Odyssey 31-925S (group 31) AGMs in my 2016 24.1 Vegas (under the step where Thor likes to put them). It's a tight fit but it wasn't hard. I don't think anything bigger will fit without modifying that space.

It would be nice to go lithium eventually for the house batteries, especially if I do solar. But since we don't boondock, and the RV is kind of a once-in-a-while kind of trip, for me the AGMs hit the sweet spot for reliability, price, and the reserve capacity. They aren't cheap by any means but they are also not outrageously priced if they are going to last a decade or more with no maintenance.