Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2022, 08:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Ontario
THOR #10180
Battery Shut off

On a class C Fourwinds with no 12V power is there an easy way to tell if it is the stoage switch or the solenoid
No sound from solenoid. i am thinking of just replacing both parts to save time.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
You should hear a click sound when going to storage mode. If in storage mode, the interior lights should not work.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:07 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
You should hear a click sound when going to storage mode. If in storage mode, the interior lights should not work.
For the newbies that is the easiest way to know if they have it on or off
Old 05-24-2022, 09:37 PM   #4

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
If the switch was in store and the coach batteries are dead the switch will not latch the relay to use
Old 05-24-2022, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgironwood View Post
On a class C Fourwinds with no 12V power is there an easy way to tell if it is the stoage switch or the solenoid
No sound from solenoid. i am thinking of just replacing both parts to save time.
Yep, a multimeter can give you the answer in minutes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:32 AM   #6

THOR #10180
Quote:
I think switch is in storage mode but nothing is happening when I go to in use mode. My model does not have light on switch to show active. The solenoid is not kicking in. So I think it is solenoid but could be faulty storage switch. Don’t have wiring diagram so hard to check switch with volt meter. Six wires on switch but not sure where they go. I have checked all fuses and circuit breakers. Have new 50 amp fuse beside solenoid. Any other checks I should do before replacing switch and solenoid.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:36 AM   #7

THOR #10180
Batteries fully charged and everything working on shore power. Even fridge 12v. Fans lights. All good. All good on generator. Just dead when stand alone.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:01 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I think switch is in storage mode but nothing is happening when I go to in use mode. My model does not have light on switch to show active. The solenoid is not kicking in. So I think it is solenoid but could be faulty storage switch. Don’t have wiring diagram so hard to check switch with volt meter. Six wires on switch but not sure where they go. I have checked all fuses and circuit breakers. Have new 50 amp fuse beside solenoid. Any other checks I should do before replacing switch and solenoid.
Quote:
Batteries fully charged and everything working on shore power. Even fridge 12v. Fans lights. All good. All good on generator. Just dead when stand alone.
How do you know the batteries are fully charged without putting a voltmeter on them?

Are you relying on the status panel in the RV? Faulty logic there. It requires 12 VDC to operate which you can only get from the converter. The same converter that is connected to the "battery status" sensor which will obviously show full if on SP.

Before the battery voltage gets to the DC load center it goes through a 50 amp DC circuit breaker normally located very close to the batteries.

In case it wasn't clear above, the latching relay (controlled by the USE/STORE switch) gets its control power from the batteries. So if the latching relay is in STORE position, it will not change position unless 12 VDC is available from the batteries through this circuit breaker.

And there are either one or two fuses on/at the latching relay itself that need to be checked to see if they are good. If blown, the latching relay will not respond to the USE/STORE switch.

As I mentioned above, a multimeter would quickly solve this mystery.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:04 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Got a pic of your solenoid?
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:14 AM   #10

THOR #10180
running with two 12v batteries in parallel and they are fully charged. Besides replacing 50 amp fuse beside solenoid i have checked both fuses that are by solenoid and all fuses in main box Can you explain to me what the Six wires on the storage shut off run to. One would be 12v from battery but where do other five run Probably one ground ? Do two connect to solenoid. Trying to understand system.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:14 AM   #11

THOR #10180
Should say 12v. Poor typist on phone
Old 05-25-2022, 03:20 AM   #12

THOR #10180
Will post one tomorrow
Old 05-25-2022, 03:23 AM   #13

THOR #10180
I have been using my volt meter to check all power levels including batteries
Old 05-25-2022, 03:53 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
running with two 12v batteries in parallel and they are fully charged. Besides replacing 50 amp fuse beside solenoid i have checked both fuses that are by solenoid and all fuses in main box Can you explain to me what the Six wires on the storage shut off run to. One would be 12v from battery but where do other five run Probably one ground ? Do two connect to solenoid. Trying to understand system.
50 amp fuse?
6 wires? Should only be 4; two heavy gauge main wires and two small gage control wires. Are you sure you've found the battery disconnect latching relay? I assume that is what you mean by "storage shut off".

OTOH the control switch will have 6 wires as it is a momentary DPDT switch:
+ and - 12 VDC
Control to the latching relay in one direction
Control to the latching relay in the opposite direction

Here is one version of the latching relay:

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...tching%20(open).

Here is the other version Thor uses:

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/r...nnect-rvc1002/

With SP disconnected you should have 12 VDC to ground on the battery side main terminal.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Have you checked the 100 amp breaker under the hood near the chassis battery? When mine trips, I have no dc power to anything.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #16

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I have a 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. Although much of my wiring would be different than yours, I looked at my wiring digram for the House Chassis (TEE1288). I assumed the Use/Store switch and the latching relay it drives would be similar on both our RV.

The wiring digram shows the Batt Disc Sw with 6 wires (18Ga White, 18 Red, 18 Yellow, 18 Yellow/Blk, 18 Red, 18 White). I'm assuming the reason there are two red and two white is because of one set has the DC+ and DC- from the battery and the other is the DC+ and DC- that goes to the relay.

The schematic then shows the 1-480703-0 Batt Disc Relay C6 with 4 wires (#1 18 Ga Yellow, #2 18 Yellow/Blk, #3 18 White, #4 18 Red.

So on the switch one set of red and white has power coming from the batteries. Then the other set of red and white from the switch is routed to the relay (pins 3 and 4) along with the yellow from the switch going to relay pin #1 and the yellow/blk from the switch going to the #2 pin on the relay.

The challenge for you is going to be locating where that latching relay is located since you can't isolate where it is by having someone activate the switch on and off while you track down where the click/clunk is coming from. For example my relay is located behind a panel on hallway wall, under the refrigerator, with the relay mounted to a plywood bulkhead underneath the refrigerator.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #17

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here is a picture of my battery disconnect relay located behind the panel next to the converter in my hallway. You can see the yellow and yellow/black wires coming from the Use/Store switch. If you can access your relay you should be able to confirm with a voltmeter if you have DC going to it on pins 3 &4 of the relay.

Hopes this helps. Anyone else can chime in if I have this all wrong in how it relates to his Four Winds 23.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Disconnect behind hallway grill.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	37663  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote