Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2022, 11:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #21560
Battery Size in 2014 Vegas 24.1

What is the physical size and electrical specs of the chassis battery that was supplied from the factory when new? For some reason, I am unable to find this info and due to the where the battery is mounted the markings on the battery can't be seen- even using a mirror (or 2). This battery may have been changed -although I doubt it. And I don't think it's EVER been serviced! Any info will be appreciated by me and others. Thanks, Ed V. (Seabee)

Old 06-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I have a 2016 24.1, battery quit in 2019. I went through dash fold out desk to replace. There is precut panel there to allow battery change out. I have heard other ways but my hands not great. I put back wuth clips/screws on cutout for future changes.

Battery was standard size that was in stock at Advance Auto.

Will be looking to change later this year. Unit always plugged in at house, left for track, stopped for gas. Left running lights on would not start. Turned out battery junk. Was 4 years old (2015 chassis). Keeping it plugged in fooled me. Now unplug for 30-60 minutes before start. Have volt gauge in lighter outlet. If drops below12.5 will replace battery.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #3

THOR #21560
Thanks, Muggs. But what I'm looking for is the exact size and rating of the battery that came with the unit from the factory. I've been in the compartment under the desk- I'm trying to go through there just once more to remove and install (and possibly rework the mount) at the same time. But it's looking like I'm going to have to dive in and investigate myself. I'll wait a while- there may be more replies coming. Thanks again, Ed
Old 06-04-2022, 07:47 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have a 2021 Axis 24.1. The Ford Owners Manual does not give the battery specs. So I went into the Advance Auto Parts website and entered my VIN. It came back with a Ford E350 Super Duty which is correct for my MH. I then searched for batteries that would fit and they all were Group 65s. I then plugged G35 dimensions into Google and got:

BCI Group 65 batteries dimensions are (L x W x H) 12 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 7 9/16 inches (12.0625 x 7.5 x 7.5625 inches, 306 x 190 x 192 mm), or for short 12.1 x 7.5 x 7.6 inches.

If I were replacing mine today I would go for Advance Auto Parts Platinum AGM battery at $229 plus core charge. It is a 750 CCA battery whereas most of the others are 650 Ahs but more importantly AGM batteries have a very low self discharge rate which is important for winter storage.

David
Old 06-04-2022, 10:24 PM   #5

THOR #21560
David; Thank you. That's what Intend to use - the biggest AGM that I can make fit. I've been looking at #24, #27 series batteries. Now you have opened the possibilities and I'm going to do what you did- Advance and Auto Zone. Thanks, I'll report back here. ED