Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #18293
Battery Whoas - Where the heck do all these wires go?

Hi all! I have a new (to me) 98 Four Winds Infinity Class A.

When I got it there was only a single (very old) battery in it located in the far corner, under the hood on the driver's side. Unfortunately, the previous owner disconnected all the wires and there is NO documentation on how to hook everything up. I've tried to wrap by brain around it and I'm a little confused.

I know there is suppose to be a division between the coach and chassis batteries but I'm a little stuck on how that's supoosed to function. I did hook everything up the a single battery to get it home but, no surprises, it's not working very well.

So, I created a diagram showing what I'm seeing. I'm hoping that someone on here can shed some light on the proper configuration and what wire is supposed to go where. Please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-wiring.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	22828  

Old 03-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #2

THOR #18293
Bumping this back to the top in hopes that someone can help
Old 03-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Pictures might add to the equation.
Are all 3 trays in the same physical location or is tray 3 the chassis battery located under the hood?
House batteries may be connected in series or parallel depending on whether they are 6 volt or 12 volt batteries.

Too much unknown information to offer more help here.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #4

THOR #18293
Here's a video to help decipher

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a video I just made that should clear things up.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I would say that is three times better than pictures and a good way to describe the problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #6

THOR #18293
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I would say that is three better than pictures and a good way to describe the problem.
Dave, sorry, but not sure I follow?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
The LH battery is your CHASSIS battery
The middle battery is your HOUSE (Auxiliary) battery and is connected in parallel to the RH (Upper) battery. You don't need this third battery - it just supplies more stored energy for your house loads - but don't connect the leads that go from it to the middle battery if not using it - the dangling red lead will be hot and could short out.
The lead from the hydraulic pump goes to the POSITIVE post of your Auxiliary battery to power the hydraulic system (levelers and maybe slides).

You had it pretty much figured out except for the third battery.

Right now both your chassis and house loads are coming off your single (dead) battery.

The video helped a lot!
Old 03-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarlan View Post
Dave, sorry, but not sure I follow?
Read it again, I think Dave left a word out.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
When my dad disconnected my batteries while I was under the rv undoing hold down straps, we did a forensics analysis using closeup photos, matched scars on wires and realized the twists memorized by the cables.

It was a lot easier than we thought it would be once we got down to the near microscopic.

It all went together perfectly.

If after following the directions above, you still wind up with an extra wire or two, let it fall where it wants to, look for scratches and bends.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #10

THOR #18293
Thank you so much for the help, Ted (or Melinda?). I was leaning toward assuming that that third battery was just there for extra power. My only question is, what about the smaller negative lead going to the upper battery and into the wiring harness? I'm guessing if I leave out the upper battery then I need to hook that up to my auxiliary battery as well, correct?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
I'm gonna throw out my idea as an electrician. Without looking at any wiring, I would assume the battery top right would be the chassis battery.

I would assume that the 2 lower side by side batteries to be the house batteries. You would usually find these under the steps in a more modern rig or in an electric bay down one side or the other. They could have been Two 12 volts in parallel but I would think they were Two 6 volts in series for better efficiency.

That's just a dumb electricians take on it. I got any takers??
Old 03-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #12

THOR #18293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I'm gonna throw out my idea as an electrician. Without looking at any wiring, I would assume the battery top right would be the chassis battery.
I appreciate the input. I actually think Ted nailed it and that the upper battery was extra power, wired up in parallel, to the aux battery down below. That's strictly based on the way that the wires are naturally laying and the listings on the panel cover.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you so much for the help, Ted (or Melinda?). I was leaning toward assuming that that third battery was just there for extra power. My only question is, what about the smaller negative lead going to the upper battery and into the wiring harness? I'm guessing if I leave out the upper battery then I need to hook that up to my auxiliary battery as well, correct?
Yeah, You can connect the negative side of that cable to the middle battery, no harm in that. No telling why that extra little ground cable is there.

And Ted does all the posting here, Melinda just goes along for the ride.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #14

THOR #18293
Thanks, Ted. I really appreciate the help!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
I appreciate the input. I actually think Ted nailed it and that the upper battery was extra power, wired up in parallel, to the aux battery down below. That's strictly based on the way that the wires are naturally laying and the listings on the panel cover.
I don't believe the factory would have wired it that way.Maybe someone that owns one will chime in.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:23 AM   #16

THOR #18293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I don't believe the factory would have wired it that way.Maybe someone that owns one will chime in.
Good point and I agree, it would be ideal if someone had the same year & model to compare.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:34 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #3916
OK ..............We had a '99 Infinity 34-H
GM chassis.

The top (upper drivers side) single battery was originally the Chassis battery & the 2 battery positions (bottom center)(2 12v in parallel) were for the house/coach...
next..
Under the rear master bed is the transfer switching and the inverter..also the "house" fuse/breaker box is on the drivers side by the bedroom night stand.

IMPORTANT!!!!!!
IF it is a GM chassis

BE SURE to crawl under the left frame rail , look inside the left frame rail and check the condition & the integrity of the main wiring loom as it passes the left engine exhaust manifold.
Our Wiring loom tie backs gave up..so the loom was too close and melted.. causing all manner of electrical shorts and disarray ... ended up doing a complete rewire..
This may have happened to yours and the prior owner gave up and rednecked it to get it home then sell...

Good luck
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 AM   #18

THOR #18293
saddleshore, thanks for the insight. Did you watch the video, by chance? On mine the panel has the “chassis” main terminals going to the bottom passenger-side battery and the “auxiliary” going to the middle bottom. What does yours look like?

Also, thanks for the tip. I’ll climb under and confirm things are tight and secure. 🙂
Old 03-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #19

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
OK ..............We had a '99 Infinity 34-H
GM chassis.

The top (upper drivers side) single battery was originally the Chassis battery & the 2 battery positions (bottom center)(2 12v in parallel) were for the house/coach...
next..
Under the rear master bed is the transfer switching and the inverter..also the "house" fuse/breaker box is on the drivers side by the bedroom night stand.

IMPORTANT!!!!!!
IF it is a GM chassis

BE SURE to crawl under the left frame rail , look inside the left frame rail and check the condition & the integrity of the main wiring loom as it passes the left engine exhaust manifold.
Our Wiring loom tie backs gave up..so the loom was too close and melted.. causing all manner of electrical shorts and disarray ... ended up doing a complete rewire..
This may have happened to yours and the prior owner gave up and rednecked it to get it home then sell...

Good luck
Thank you Saddlesore, It seams like the world has lost the use of common sense.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:28 AM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #3916
Quote:
saddleshore, thanks for the insight. Did you watch the video, by chance? On mine the panel has the “chassis” main terminals going to the bottom passenger-side battery and the “auxiliary” going to the middle bottom. What does yours look like?

Also, thanks for the tip. I’ll climb under and confirm things are tight and secure. ��
Yes I watched the vid.
I suspect that the former owner moved the battery to the lower position for ease of install... as it is now you do not have any power to the coach.. just to the chassis.
I have seen an Infinity that had the chassis battery where yours is, and the house batteries were under the lid for the steps.

BTW..I'm doing this from memory (which is hit or miss at best)
We replaced the Thor/Four Winds with our present coach years ago..(study the Avatar closely)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, batteries hookup?