Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #17907
Unknown Dashboard Light

This is an interesting one! I have a dash board light that is a car with a lock in front of it. (I attached a picture of it). I went to start my Axis and this light was flashing red when I turned the ignition on. The starter did not engage – nothing happened. This same thing happened a while back last year but when I turned the key on and off a few times the light stopped flashing and the vehicle started. Never happened again until this week. The truck would not start, batteries were all charged. All coach utilities were fine. I tried everything I could think of – with shore power, without shore power, with generator running, and without. Nothing. I then removed and thoroughly cleaned all the battery connectors on the chassis battery. Still nothing. Thor said there is no such light on the dash (sorry!) and he said it must be a Ford issue (chassis) and not a coach issue. Ford’s web site lists a bunch of dash lights – but not this one! I desperately disconnected both wires on the Battery Isolation Monitor and cleaned them thoroughly. Turned the ignition and the light was not flashing and the unit started as normal. This could indicate a BIM going bad and I plan to replace it. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have this light on their dash?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_949 Jul. 21 13.34.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	25086  

Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
This is an interesting one! I have a dash board light that is a car with a lock in front of it. (I attached a picture of it). I went to start my Axis and this light was flashing red when I turned the ignition on. The starter did not engage – nothing happened. This same thing happened a while back last year but when I turned the key on and off a few times the light stopped flashing and the vehicle started. Never happened again until this week. The truck would not start, batteries were all charged. All coach utilities were fine. I tried everything I could think of – with shore power, without shore power, with generator running, and without. Nothing. I then removed and thoroughly cleaned all the battery connectors on the chassis battery. Still nothing. Thor said there is no such light on the dash (sorry!) and he said it must be a Ford issue (chassis) and not a coach issue. Ford’s web site lists a bunch of dash lights – but not this one! I desperately disconnected both wires on the Battery Isolation Monitor and cleaned them thoroughly. Turned the ignition and the light was not flashing and the unit started as normal. This could indicate a BIM going bad and I plan to replace it. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have this light on their dash?
If the BIM is bad it has a manufacturer 5 year warranty

A tech will have you do a few tests on it. If bad they'll send you a new one.

Give them a call

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200722-151700_Chrome.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	25087
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:20 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #17907
Thanks

Thanks for that info about BIM warranty!
Old 07-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Car Immobilizer. Anti-theft light.

Nothing to do with the BIM.

30 second Google search will tell you more than you want to know. Read your manual on anti-theft.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That was my thought as well": an anti-theft system that is going wonky.

It's a Ford item.

(I had a Chevy that once played the same games with me.)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That was my thought as well": an anti-theft system that is going wonky.

It's a Ford item.

(I had a Chevy that once played the same games with me.)
Red flashing it is working just fine and anti theft is on. That replaced the flashing red light that some cars have on the dash. I
Old 07-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But if it was flashing, and the vehicle couldn't be started: something is amiss...
Old 07-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But if it was flashing, and the vehicle couldn't be started: something is amiss...
Not necessarily. Red Flashing the system is armed and working as intended.

Not starting is a different problem and could be related to the key itself. There could possibly be a dead or weak battery in the key fob. The key may not have been inserted into the ignition switch all. the way. Could also be a key that has not been properly mated to the system after it was activated.

The system is working but there is no where enough info in the OP's original post to determine if there is a real problem other than not being familiar with the vehicle's systems and operation.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You certainly are correct in that we could use a bit more info...

But I would discount the possibility of a weak battery in the key: until proven otherwise... they normally last for years.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
There are also cases where the system went active for one reason or another such as someone try's using the wrong key etc... and the owner had to disconnect the negative battery cable to clear the alarm and start the vehicle.

I have had 2 instances where keys were delivered with a new vehicle and the fob or active key batteries died within a month. Keep in mind, that chassis may have been a year old when Thor started assembling the motorhome and I'm sure they don't change the key fob or key batteries before a coach is delivered (if the coach uses those type fobs or keys). Another type of key, I believe, could have lost its coding by being too close to a strong magnetic field.

Again, not enough info. I don't know what Ford has done to or with the E series chassis in the last 7 years or so.
FMCA - F432054

Tags
dashboard light